Dreaming of the road!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMAG YOYO

Reaction score
Hey all, while I won't be a full-time live-aboard anytime soon, the only thing I really want to do is wander the continent (and beyond!) with my family.

We have two small kids, so right now it's about, well, survival really, and trying to raise them right. I know there are lots of families out there using their explorations as a teaching experience. Believe me, if I could talk my wife into it (and make an income on the road) we would do it. 

Anyway, a few months ago, I picked up a sweet 2015 Ford Transit cargo van, 148" wheelbase with the medium roof. I LOVE driving this thing. Added a second-row seat for the kids, and the rest is yet to come. Been checking out the Transit forum, but the vans being so new to the US market, most folks over there aren't doing much (yet) that I haven't already seen. I'm hoping you all can give me lots of crazy ideas before I start tearing into my rig.

Happy trails!

Welcome!

I think there are at least 3 folks on here who have converted or are converting the small Transit Connects. You are going to find a LOT of interest from folks here who want to see what you do with your larger Transit! You will be harassed to show us pics along the way. LOL

In the Van section, you will be amazed at the conversions from the most basic to woodworking dream homes.

Someone is now also sharing a link to a blog called something like Wanderly -- and I think that site discusses how folks do travel with kids. I'm sure he'll visit to say hello to you eventually.

Welcome to the CRVL forums KMAG YOYO! Spending time with your kids out in nature is one of the best things you can do for them. Even though you may not be able to full-time you'll have so much fun and build so many memories taking trips and camping in your van. Congratulations and enjoy building!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome,   :) 

My Father traveled in his work when I was a young kid.   I was blessed to do a lot of traveling at a very early age
with my parents and would encourage you to consider taking them places and showing them things in their
immediate part of the world. 

You could fit your Van out for easy conversion from empty to a week end/vacation camper easily and inexpensively.   Then operate within a 100/150 mile radius of your present home.  

I would encourage you to visit the links at the bottom of this post to learn how to set up a beginning Van
and the other to gain traveling information while on the road.  The Fodors and Map/Trip information may
help you to learn of things to see and items of interest to visit.  And as other members have pointed out
you may just find interesting things along the way. 

I believe your thinking is sound and your kids are fortunate to have a Father with your vision.

When we had our son, he was six weeks old for his first road trip :D   We (and he) has never regretted the exploration and life experiences.

Welcome aboard the CRVL forums.
Hope your conversion build goes quickly so you can get it on down the road !

Thanks all for the welcomes. This will be my 3rd conversion build. First was a Tacoma that I replaced the bed with a camper box. Below the rear door is a pull-out galley with running water and a stove. Sold it to a young couple who drove it to Patagonia! I miss this truck like crazy but the Xtracab was too small for the kids. 

P1020125.JPG

Second was a cargo trailer conversion, still have the trailer but I'm moving the components to the Transit. We got sick of the low speeds and low fuel economy of the trailer. Oh and you can't tow in the carpool lane, we live in the SF Bay and that makes a huge difference on a getaway day. I think the trailer may end up being a "guest house" in our driveway, don't tell our guests that we occasionally use it for dump runs...

P1030307.JPG

IMG_2138.JPG

So, on to the main event, our 2015 LWB MR Transit van. It's actually hard to get started, the possibilities are overwhelming!! 

IMG_2573.JPG

Second row seat installed from a 2014 Sprinter:

IMG_2582.JPG

I plan to install all the goodies from the trailer which include:
-190w solar panel
-MPPT charge controller
-1000w Xantrex inverter
-mini fridge (I know they are inefficient but 12V fridges are $$$$)
-21 gal. fresh water tank
-Eccotemp on-demand heater
-Shurflo on-demand water pump and accumulator
-Full size Ikea futon mattress

Also, when we have some money again: Fantastic Fan, more solar panels and batteries, bunks for the kids, driver side window.

Welcome KMAG YOYO. Love the pics of your previous projects. You do nice work.
I grew up in San Jose and when I visit occasionally I am awestruck by the increase in traffic in the Bay Area.
Good luck with your project.

Sabatical said:
I grew up in San Jose and when I visit occasionally I am awestruck by the increase in traffic in the Bay Area.

Yep, it's no joke, just in the last 4 years. With the drought, it's turning into Los Angeles. One of the many reasons I love getting out of here!

KMAG YOYO said:
Yep, it's no joke, just in the last 4 years. With the drought, it's turning into Los Angeles. One of the many reasons I love getting out of here!
I had the opportunity to move back many years ago to take part in the family business. Although I would have loved being close to my family, we opted to raise our kids in a rural area hoping that they would grow up feeling less pressure to conform. I think it worked. I do enjoy visiting my dad there and I've noticed a trend...we spend most of my stays on the coast where it is quieter, more beautiful, and less chaotic.
The one thing I do miss about the Bay Area is the immense number of resources for cheap, quality, used items that would be very useful in a project like yours. Folks seem to love upgrading all the time and thier castoffs are readily available.

Hello & Welcome to the forum!!
OK, I'll admit it....Van Envy!! :p

Patrick from right up on the Oregon Coast. :)

KMAG YOYO, 

P1030307.JPG

I've been looking at your trailer set up.  It may not have worked so well for you in your environment but
I'm interested in something along this line.

Do you recall how much it weighed when you purchased it empty and how much it may have weighed when loaded ?   I'm here in the Ohio Valley and this could perhaps work better in my part of the world.

eDJ_ said:
Do you recall how much it weighed when you purchased it empty and how much it may have weighed when loaded ?   I'm here in the Ohio Valley and this could perhaps work better in my part of the world.

I think the empty weight is around 1,700 lb. Fully loaded I'm guessing 2,700. The twin 3,500 lb axles are definitely overkill!

If you haven't yet, check out the Cargo Trailer Conversion forum on TnTTT.com Here's my build thread.

CTC's are a great, I could easily take the guts out of mine and use it as a cargo. Cheaper than a commercially built trailer and you can make it exactly what you want. 

Part of me wants to keep the trailer as a camper, because you can keep it fully stocked and ready to roll, and when Friday comes you throw some food in the refer, hitch up and go! Then when you get to the campsite, you can ditch the trailer and explore without bringing the kitchen sink.

Thank you KMAG.   As a little kid my Dad set up a utility trailer made of plywood on a metal frame.  He built 3 plywood boxes which were dedicated to the cooking equipment, camping equipment, and Cooler & food.
The space to the right side of the three boxes was for the tent.  The tail gate slid up and out and we had a
couple of folding saw horses to make the tail gate a utility table.  Generally at a State Park & Lake we went to
there were picnic tables at the camp site.  Sometimes we elected to use a rough camp and we made our own
camping amenities.

Then we got into Vans and the trailer was sold.  Never thought to use the trailer behind the Van like we did the
Station Wagon.  The Van just seemed to be a natural do it all.  When I got my first Van I continued on all but
forgetting that trailer. 

What I'm sketching out now is as light as I could make it to carry the toilet, shower, laundry facility, a generator from a scrapped out RV with as quiet a muffler as I could create for it. (possibly an Onan to run on propane and produce 110 vac), a water tank, and an on demand hot water heater. 

I'd travel with the water tank empty until I got near where I was going to camp or boondock.  I'm beginning to wonder if I would really want to fool with solar panels.   The Van would just have the kitchenette, bed, and ice cooler with fold up table and chair to be legal in accordance with Ohio's outline of a house vehicle. (I'd also have a deep cycle house battery,  and a 5 gallon water tank in the Van)   On arriving in camp I could set up
the trailer and lock it up to hold my place and then go out in the Van to sight see.  The 50 gallon water tank
would run close to 420 lbs full so to keep the total trailer weight under 1300 lbs I'd travel with the water tank empty.

The trailer would be used on trips of over 500 miles from home or daily if on the road full time.

Thanks again for the links, I'll be checking that out.