Don't assume the shower is cleaned

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingZombies

Reaction score
My wife and I stopped at a truck stop for a shower and she told me to wear footwear in shower but didn't listen and I'm now applying cream for athletes foot twice a day.
Don't assume that even during COVID-19 that the showers are cleaned well. Wear flip flops or water shoes and keep your feet happy ?

Yep. May sound weird, but foot hygiene is very important when using public showers. It's not just athletes foot, but some other nasty germs and staph infections like MRSA have infected the lower limbs of driver-friends of mine who presumably were exposed to it in truck stop showers. 

Showers are often cleaned between guests but they may or may not be 'disinfected' properly.

Always try to request or verify that you get TWO towels. Wear some type of shower shoes, and after your shower and after you have dried off, always always always, sit down on the bench, or chair (or closed commode lid) and go to the effort to dry your feet completely, and after that, don't put them back down on the wet floor, use one of your towels, and sprinkle them with anti-fungal 'medicated' foot powder before you put your shoes and socks on. It's a good idea to sprinkle the powder into your shoes and also into your socks before you put them on...assuming of course you are wearing socks and shoes...maybe you are wearing flip-flops (or open sandals, crocs, or boat shoes) in and out of the building...which can help with 'air-drying' your feet. 

Stuff you don't typically learn at home or in school. And you hear about it on an RV website!

Forty years driving a truck and using truck stop showers....I learned a thing or three.

:cool:

EWW and I gotta say why in heaven's name did you think AN ALL EVERYONE on the planet shower flow was cool LOL

come on ya lazy person, keep on the flip flops in the shower of thousands that use it...ugh

But I get ya....we hope and think easy and more but in the end...massive use from who knows where or what must be addressed..........but now ya know :) and hope ya clear up fast and get it gone and learned a bit.....WIFE SMART for sure!!! We gals know best ya know but of course that is suspect at times but your itchy icky feet shows she got this one HAHA

Fill a small spray bottle with bleach solution and spray the shower floor and lower walls before you use it!

And wear flip-flops!

Glad you feel better! Nothing worse than feeling icky or in pain or anything like that!
You know, flip flop type sandals etc are one of the most versatile suckers :) Love they are plastic ya know where you can get wet and they dry fast.
Plus they are great for camp and all....I never walk around my camps without some sort of slide on shoe/sandal also. I paid the piper on doing barefoot a few times! Not worth it.

Edit: wandering soul you got here first. LOL Ugh. Never go barefoot. Especially if you have a sore or blister. I keep bleach or alcohol too.

I've always used shower shoes........for whatever reason I never liked walking around barefoot anyway.

What do y'all like to use for shower shoes? With flip flops that are wet I seem to slide off the sides making it seem dangerous.

Sand volleyball (surf) shoes.  Foot cleaning is after shower.

The doctor said I have the body of an athlete, Well he said I have athletes foot anyhow. :)

I hear ya nature lover. I have always been an athletic supporter.

Latest posts