34 Years And I Still Couldn't Get To The Grand Canyon!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadtripsAndCampfires

Reaction score
Thought I would share my unusual experience to give you something to read.

So...

34 years ago I had a 2 week vacation planned to take off from L.A. with daughter in my Class B and drive with next door neighboor and his daughter who were traveling in a truck camper.  Our destination was the grand canyon and I was very excited.  That Friday before we were to leave and vacation start I finished work and was traveling down a busy Los Angeles street toward home and just so happy to be leaving in the morning for the G.C.

An uninsured motorist decided she would make a left hand turn right in front of me.  My Class B was getting a tune up and I had borrowed my parent's car which did some spinning and landed its center hood on a metal light post.  I was stretchered by abulance but able to be released after about 6 hours.  I had physical therapy for my neck frequently for a year and a half and major problems for about 10 years and then periodically.  I have been known to boil water in the forest, put in the hydro heat pack for 30 minutes, wrap a towel around it and lay on a cot under the trees - a small price to pay for being able to camp.  Today I rarely have problems with it as I am careful and know how to take care of it if it shows signs of wanting to give me a difficult time.  I do this because if I don't I could be in bed for 2 weeks.  If I want to look at the stars at night I lay on a cot instead of look up from a sitting chair.  

Fast forward to 2020.

When I was 17 I said I was going to take off and camp and not come home until I had enough.  Those 50 years were spent camping on weekends between work days if the weather was good and longer trips on vacations.  I had to wait until 2019 before I could realize my dream and hubby and I took off in October for dreams unlimited.  We've had a great time and love the life.

Covid-19 made us change our plans and late May/early April we started did a long road trip from Quartzsite (where we had been for most of 5 months) up to Kingman - over past Williams and then back down past Sedona back to Quartzsite.  We were staying at KOAs along the way and keeping to ourselves, wearing gloves and masks, etc.

April 1st we stayed at the KOA billed as the Grand Canyon KOA.  We had booked one night.  I mentioned to the host that it was too bad we were there but the G.C. was closed (the news said the national parks closed April 1st).  I was told no, the G.C. was still open!  I was SO EXCITED!  So we book a second night with plans to wake early and go to the G.C. in the morning.  Nope.  We got up April 2nd to the news they closed it starting April 2nd.

34 years and I still couldn't go!!!

(Perhaps it saved us from catching the virus but sad just the same.)

Chris

You remind me of the time we were at the North Rim in October. We were there for several days and enjoyed the sites. But one day it was so foggy that you could not tell there was a canyon! We ran into several people who were there that day only. I sure felt for them.

I've had that happen while driving past Mt. Shasta - so foggy you couldn't tell there was a mountain. Grand Canyon I saw once - I was 18. We hiked down into it. Nearly starved on the way out, which took two days. But... it is so beautiful down there!

I wondered what happened as far as updates, last I heard you were still building out the trailer...water wank or batteries or something.

Well, take a bit of comfort knowing that the Grand Canyon will be there for awhile...it's not going anywhere!

;)

slow2day said:
I've heard of wonks but wanks are something else.
Too funny.
This thread reminds me of trying to see the painted desert park at sunset. It's either cloudy, closed, or something comes up every time. 
-crofter

RoadtripsAndCampfires said:
Thought I would share my unusual experience to give you something to read.

So...

April 1st we stayed at the KOA billed as the Grand Canyon KOA.  We had booked one night.  I mentioned to the host that it was too bad we were there but the G.C. was closed (the news said the national parks closed April 1st).  I was told no, the G.C. was still open!  I was SO EXCITED!  So we book a second night with plans to wake early and go to the G.C. in the morning.  Nope.  We got up April 2nd to the news they closed it starting April 2nd.

34 years and I still couldn't go!!!

(Perhaps it saved us from catching the virus but sad just the same.)

Chris

If you're still within striking distance - Grand Canyon is reopening, for a few days only, some day-use sites on the south Rim - https://www.usnews.com/news/us/arti...oin-national-parks-set-for-limited-reopenings

phleeb said:
You remind me of the time we were at the North Rim in October.  We were there for several days and enjoyed the sites.  But one day it was so foggy that you could not tell there was a canyon!  We ran into several people who were there that day only.  I sure felt for them.
phlleeb, yes that would be a big bummer.  I am surprised the fog would get that bad!

tx2sturgis said:
I wondered what happened as far as updates, last I heard you were still building out the trailer...water wank or batteries or something.

Well, take a bit of comfort knowing that the Grand Canyon will be there for awhile...it's no

YES!  I've been terrible about updates.  We finished downsizing late October 2019 and took off once the beds were finished.  Here is a summary of where we are at with the cargo trailer conversion -

INSTALLED:
tub and box below where grey water tank will go.  Using it for storage until then as we put a board across and stuff in the tub and stuff above on board.  Going to order tank this week to be delivered in care of friend in area.  We will keep the setup we have as storage comes in handy and we won't mind (much) removing the items for the occasional use of the shower inside.

Refrigerator - Dometic 3way 7.2 cubic with freezer.  Love it, lots of room, use it always.  Turn the propane off for travel and try to keep travel to 4 hours max at a time but have been known to add ice in leak proof containers to inside fridge if going to travel longer.

Air conditioner and vent to outside, floor model.  Had wall vent installed so we no longer put the A/C vent hose through the windows.

Cupboard doors and a couple more cupboards:  While spending most of the winter in a campground (paid) in Quartzsite we bought a vender tent and made it high enough to cover the top of the trailer and added sidewalls.  We were able to do a lot of work at the campground that no one could see and the traffic noise is so loud we picked our times to be able to saw, etc. without anyone aware of our work.  It's becoming easier to travel as I have less to take up and down between sites. 

Bought 2 ebikes that travel in the trailer, get locked to the hitch when camping.  Need to get bigger chains to lock after watching Amazing Liz (not sure of the name) get her $4k bike stolen via bolt cutters at campground.

Closet and shelf:  Now I can hang jackets.  We lost half the closet when we installed the A/C there but worth it - have plenty of room for our clothes in drawers inside.  Shelf above is handy.

Mounted TV to wall (32" TCL smart).

Hung 6 foot exhause pole with spark arrester across wall via hooks and leather with chain.  Pole is for our Silverfire Dragon woodburning stove/oven which is for outdoor use only.

TO DO SOON, STUFF WE NEED TO ORDER AND INSTALL:

We are researching our battery and solar system, almost ready to hit the order button

Have Fantastic Vent I took off our old Chalet and think I found someone to install it soon (I cannot climb on the roof and I prefer Wayne does not)

Want to install 2 more small windows across from bed and on each side of the TV.  Also want a drop down shelf below TV.

Need to come up with new opening/closing knob to add onto our door as we should have ordered the RV door and did not.

Need to drill cord holder to stop putting electrical cords from campground box to inside of trailer through bedroom window.  Already bought part, drill bit adapter and round 4" drill bit for part.

Need to install hot water on demand which we have currently in a box in the truck and not on the wall.

Same as above for our propane heater.

Need to plum after water tank arrives.  Have water pump.

Need artwork for outside trailer walls.  And trailer name.

That's off the top of my head, sure I left something out.  

We've been from CO to AZ to TX to NM.  CO AZ was campground and some roadtrips.  TX was 3 weeks in sister driveway facing greenbelt.  NM is current, so far KOAs mostly.  We do have a generator but still need an inverter/charger.  Oh, we bought a portable solar panel but haven't yet used it (no inverter yet).

I am sure I missed some stuff on this list.  Got 4 new truck tires before leaving TX for NM.  Will get 4 new trailer tires before leaving NM but they are still ok.

Have saved a ton of $$ on rent.

Greenbelt Lake?

Dang you were kinda in my neighborhood....small world huh?

If you cross back thru the Texas Panhandle again, look me up...I can host your rig and I even have room to work on stuff.

I was stationed at Fr Irwin CA back in the early 80's and Ft Ord in the late 90s. Drove past it 4 times and never stopped. Drove straight through Las Vegas 4 times and never stopped. Each time we were on a time crunch to get from here to there and just no time to stop.

One more thing ... (or 2)

I have an electric oven that fits under the SS counter/sink area. Still need to build out under the sink. For now I make everything stay in place in travel and fix it for use when I arrive. The sink grey water is a 6 gallon container with plumbing from sink drain to container. We empty it in either a sink or the sewer hole.

Also added a shelf above the head side of the bed. Made some curtains out of a rope and sham pillow cases which match the bedspread. A sham corner is cut on the right and left side of the top of the sham and the rope fed through (so easy). I used 3 to cover the window which is behind the head side of our bed) - the shelf is above that.