Dometic vs Off Brand

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maggie Flinn

Reaction score
Say, I am on an extremely low budget and am looking at off brand compressor fridges on Amazon. I just want a small one as I have a Dodge Caravan. I really don’t see anyone comparing the types by electric usage. I had only bought ice twice in 9 months but really would like to have the ability to refrigerate.
On Amazon they have a few. ApiCool, IceCube, AcoPower and of course Dometic. The off brands are under $300 but Dometic is at least $500.
I know that the Dan Foss (?)compressor is what Dometic has, but is that in all Dometics?
The least expensive Dometic runs about $500 with tax. Does it have the right compressor?
Has anyone had any luck with the off brands? I’d appreciate any and all suggestions and feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh. And what is the difference between a Dometic CC and CFX?

I purchased the icecube.  I have only been able to test it out only on 110 as I am still in prep mode but so far here is my limited review:

-cold temp is nice and cold.  I tested luke warm water and it was cold fairly quick - I did not test to see if it would freeze the water.
-seems solid and well made.
-quiet

not so great:
-brand name label easily pealed off and it is seems nameless/brandless with a random sticker on it?  
-not a lot of reviews/company info ect.

I purchased it because it was the size I wanted and the price I wanted so I decided to take the risk.

by only looking on Amazon you are leaving out a lot of brands. Engel, ARB, Truck Fridge, Indel B, etc. highdesertranger

Danfos compressors have a good reputation and are used in many brands. The electrics attached to the fridges appear to be responsible for any reported reliability issues. I favour Engel on the basis of lots of experience with the brand since 1984 and in very harsh conditions. A price point factor will effect any decision around Engel.

I do have an issue with one line in the Gnomad report. Every Danfos compressor I have tested measures about 3.5 Amp draw when running. Every Engel I have tested measures about 2.5 Amps when running. I suspect the Gnomad figures include some test environment specs contribution to a duty cycle contribution to the the figures and the figures given are Amp Hours per hour.

Opinion only now - I would avoid Dometic and if the Engel is too expensive, then ARB.

I've had good luck with the Edgestar brand, usually buy from Compactappliance.com. Check their scratch and dent section, great deals now and again.

that's really not even a review since they didn't have any of the refrigerators. they just read about them and came to conclusions based on what they read. I noticed a few errors that would have been obvious if they actually had the refers in front of them. highdesertranger

One of my fridge is the alpicool 20 liter. It was $239.00 on amazon and works great. Doesn’t use much power at all either. The only down side is it needs to be dried out every now and then because of moister on the inside walls. No big deal and it even does it on my more expensive fridge so guess it is common.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

highdesertranger said:
that's really not even a review since they didn't have any of the refrigerators.  they just read about them and came to conclusions based on what they read.
Wow.  That's kind of harsh considering they did at least a modicum of due diligence and provided the data they collected into a useful spreadsheet.  They also provided a lengthy blog post with several refrigeration options, based on budget.

I'm getting weary with posting on this site.  Everything is so bloody negative.

highdesertranger said:
by only looking on Amazon you are leaving out a lot of brands.  Engel,  ARB,  Truck Fridge,  Indel B,  etc.  highdesertranger

I found Engel, ARB and Indel B (TruckFridge is rebranded Indel B) on Amazon.  I searched "[brand name here] 12v portable refrigerator." They might not carry the complete lines, but they're there.

Danfoss / Secop is just one maker of quality compressors.

Go by the maker of the whole unit instead. Don't just look on Amazon,

if you do want to buy there (lots of grey market vendors just like Walmart and eBay), first check with the maker first see if they'll honor the warranty.

Engel / ARB are top quality, longevity, very robust and energy efficient.

If cost is a big issue look on CL for secondhand.

Or post specific models here if you see a bargain ask for feedback.

Waeco / Dometic is the OEM for most newbie brands, decent enough.

You asked for opinions, so here's mine. Since I was building a specific spot for my fridge, I wouldn't buy an off brand that couldn't be replaced in the same spot if it crapped out. I bought a Truckfridge (Indel B, Vitrifrigo and Isotherm-all the same manufacturer). I liked my fridge so much that Hubby got the same fridge for his van. Mine has been running flawlessly for almost two years now. Also if a cheaper, $300 fridge were to die on me prematurely, I'd have to shell out for another one, thus negating my initial savings. I wouldn't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.
Ted

I don't understand what you want me to do, ignore their mistakes? I happened to have one the exact models from the review/article. they stated it has a drain plug, it doesn't. they stated it had a dairy compartment, it doesn't. I could have agued the energy usage but who knows how they came to that conclusion. it was a poorly written review/article with suspect research methods. I stand behind that. highdesertranger

I have an ARB and I am very disappointed. It works for about three days and then has to be off for a day or two.

ARB told me I had to ship the unit (in the original box) to Montana for servicing. I live in my TT and could not save the original box. So if you have an issue with the ARB and you buy it online, you are required to ship it back to the seller.

Dometic seems to have numerous places you can drop a unit off at for warranty work.

KathyC said:
Everything is so bloody negative.
There are all kinds of information sources out there just thrown together full of BS to get clicks.

Then there are those who may be well intentioned, but still inaccurate or just not evidence-based.

It's not negativity to make corrections, we expect back and forth disagreement here, that's how the truth comes out.

John61CT said:
It's not negativity to make corrections, we expect back and forth disagreement here, that's how the truth comes out.

The attitude from a handful of people here has ruined the experience.  Over and out.

Any comments on the Gnomads list are equivalent to a Peer Review. Some are simply pointing out the problems in how they came to their conclusions.

Lets try not to get so attached to someones random blog post that was thrown together to make a buck.  The post is how to blog for money 101. An overly saturated HDR image at the top followed by information presented in the traditional internet marketing style formatting.   I thought this was a review why does it come across like I'm sold to?  Very convenient that the top two choices are available at Amazon so they can post some huge affiliate link buttons below them.  There's nothing wrong with people making blogs for money, but when you promote one here don't be surprised when others see right through the bs and give it some flack.