Dometic CFX-95DZUS. Too Large For Van Life?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RVRoadCrue

Reaction score
Hi guys! 
First off forgive me is this is a silly question.
I have not lived yet in a van but to purchase a van March of next year and in some serious planning stages, just looking for opinions from some seasoned road veterans. (And I know opinions may vary) Now I eventually hope to spend time annually in Alaska and to do a lot of fishing so more Fridge/Freezer space is on my "wish list" but I realize in a van space is at a premium.

So the big question?
Is it just too big? Or as it will be included in my future build, I realize I can plan some of my build around it... do you guys feel I will be tying up too much space for one item? Open to thoughts, suggestions and opinions. 

Again sorry if it is a silly question. 
Anyway, Amazon Link to view: 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GEK9ZA...lid=3AQCCZM6XEGQB&coliid=I2QEP5TJDELGHM&psc=1

Thanks for any friendly thoughts!
Crue
:cool:

Edit to add: Hoping to pick up a high top and possibly extended van when I make the purchase.

Your priorities are yours. That is a large unit, also one of the better brands as well as more expensive. My opinion is mine. I would have two smaller sized units, in-case one failed, also easier to handle. One could be used as a fridge when not needed for freezing. Bob has a review about his experience with a cheaper brand, but still fairly large. Search his blog, linked at the top of this page.

Haha!! Too large - ain't nothing too large for fridge and freezer space IMO.

That's only 94.5 L total capacity with, from the looks of it, each side split in half so 47.25 each side.

I have a 65 Qt Whynter set at fridge temp and a second one set at freezer temps. Both are constantly full. The fridge gets to capacity every shopping trip and heaven help me if I was fishing.... :D

If you really want to figure out if one of the chest style units will be the right size for YOU, take some cardboard and build a mock up of the inside dimensions. Then take the contents of your home fridge or freezer and try to fit them in. Take into consideration that you will end up buying smaller sizes of condiments because the big ones take up too much room.

Whether there is room in a van layout for one or two units will depend entirely on your priority when designing the interior.

I would go with a fridge that large if I was going to spend a lot of time away from stores. (I don't, and I don't mind frequent shopping, so my fridge is rather small.) I know a vandwelling couple who are foodies and the managed to fit a big upright fridge in their van (while sacrificing room for other things). On the other hand, I know people who eat foods that require no refrigeration and are perfectly happy with a small cooler for the two or three items they need to keep cool. So a lot depends on your food priorities, how often you want to shop, and what you're willing to sacrifice in order to have a big fridge.

Not only make a mockup of the inside space of the fridge, mock up the outside dimensions. Then put that box inside a borrowed van—along with a mock up of your bed dimensions, storage space and whatever else you want in your van. Oh, and don't forget the space for batteries to run the fridge.

I have the 65qt Dometic dual zone. It's easy to pack it full and wish I had a little more space in both fridge and freezer side at times. I also wish it didn't take up so much room in the van. The top opening is great for keeping the cold inside when you open it but the downside is you lose the counter/storage space above that you would have had with a front opening unit. I thought about putting it on slides under a counter but I think I would get tired of having to slide it in and out all the time.

The suggestion of mocking up a cardboard fridge to see how much space it takes up is a good idea. I also like the idea of two separate units but wonder what would be the difference in electrical consumption running two units vs one.

Thank you guys for all the thoughts and suggestions!
The idea of 2 individuals is a good idea as is the idea of cardboard mock ups for storage and size in a van.
I did realize that a lot comes down to the person, not having experience (yet) with living in a vehicle I wanted to make sure not to miss obvious points. 
I appreciate you guys for the thoughts!
You guys rock!
:cool:

I already own a Yeti 65 - I am going to see if I can make use of it (other than just a great footstool) in addition to the Domestic on my wish list - like you though, I am trying to figure out the right size.

its never too late to start training your self to live a minimalist lifestyle,,,if thats what you want to do. most people who do (and i don't mean extreme) find it freeing