Dogs and Bears

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainChaser

Reaction score
This isn't a fear-mongering thread, it's just how it is.  Two of my dogs told me it was so.  That dogs in Natl Parks thread reminded me.

Have any of you read John Steinbeck's book Travels with Charley?  In 1960, Steinbeck and his Standard Poodle, Charley left NY in a truck/camper and traveled around America.  He described Charley as a "gentleman poodle", I think -- an older dog, well-mannered.

Everything was fine until they got to Yellowstone National Park.  When they entered, the ranger warned him that most dogs go crazy at the sight/smell of a bear.  Steinbeck said he didn't have to worry about Charley.  And Charley was fine... until he saw the bear.  This gentleman dog went crazy, jumping and screaming and yelling at the bear what he was going to do to him if he could only get out of the truck.  Steinbeck left Yellowstone as fast as he could, with sweat running down his face. He said he stopped long enough at the entry point to apologize to the ranger for not taking him seriously.

I read this book before I started my series of camping vacations with my dog (a 17 lb Sheltie cross).  We were alone in a small campground in ID when the bear came into camp (late afternoon) and checked out the garbage can.  My dog acted like he had memorized Charley's routine, because he did the same thing.

Thirty-two years later, I was working here in WA for a Pet-Assistance non-profit and was delivering a trap to a couple in Centralia.  I had my Belgian Sheepdog, Sara, riding shotgun in the passenger seat.  At first, I thought it was a large black Newfoundland dog running across the road in front of us.  Two things made me think otherwise:  the unearthly scream of fury that Sara let out, and the long, tell-tale sloping forehead of the black bear.  Fortunately, Sara's window was only down about 4" or 5", but she was doing her best to get her 45 lbs through it.  Even when the bear was out of sight, she was still pitching a fit.  She NEVER acted like that, before or after.

So, if you are in bear country, keep in mind that if you travel with a dog (or two or three), that their reaction to a bear nearby might be completely different than anything you've seen before.

Thank you, we haven't run across a bear but we did run across a mountain lion. My dog just wanted to get out of dodge and body blocked me til I turned around and got out of the canyon. I have heard of little dogs taking on a bear.

Thanks for the interesting info! I plan on trekking out to Yellowstone in the spring/summer with my dog and I had only considered bears and other animals.
This will be my dog's first time traveling out of Texas so she's never really encountered more than possums and large snakes.

I'm very curious to how she'd react, being that she's 3 months short of 13 years. She's usually extremely laid back but I wonder if even in her age, her primal instinct would kick in.

I've had Goldens for years.
I've also lived in Black Bear country for years.
Always, every one of those dogs had a visceral reaction to Bear scent. Growling, pacing, barking, fur on their backs standing up.
These are loving, kind, non aggressive anf friendly animals who love everyone and everything...... Except Bears.

My Wife and I look at each other and simply say "Bear".

Dave

I think my dog may be the exception, though he is a hound beagle mix so it's bred into him. He loves to track them but once he sees them hell just sit down and watch them. In a vehicle is a different story with any animal though, even cattle. He'll start to whine and act like he's never seen another animal before.

There is rumor that Steinbeck made all those stories up. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the book, and plan on documenting my travels with my poodle. I have some great bear "stories"... but he hasn't met one yet... planning on taking him to the zoo soon.

Good point that a dog's reaction might be something you'd never seen before... I suspect a person's reaction to a bear might be described the same way. :D

TrainChaser said:
Do they let dogs into zoos?

He's a service dog and allowed anywhere the public is allowed....with me and on good behavior!