Coyotes, birds of prey and my 20lb (max) dog?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Electric fences pulse, they're not a continuous jolt. There are probably more male humans who have peed on an electric fence than dogs have.

TrainChaser said:
There are probably more male humans who have peed on an electric fence than dogs have.

Probably a few drunks that have peed on one of those electric signs also...ouch.

TrainChaser said:
Electric fences pulse, they're not a continuous jolt. There are probably more male humans who have peed on an electric fence than dogs have.

Bwahahaha. Gotta love em!

TrainChaser said:
Electric fences pulse, they're not a continuous jolt.  There are probably more male humans who have peed on an electric fence than dogs have.

As a young, and not too wise to New England humor, city kid I visited a dairy farm and was told "bet you can't hit that wire with pee from here". I didn't always have curly hair.... til that day. :blush:
As my old friend Donny Ladd used to say "twerent funny but we all laughed"

squatting dog said:
 As a young, and not too wise to New England humor, city kid I visited a dairy farm and was told "bet you can't hit that wire with pee from here". I didn't always have curly hair.... til that day. :blush:
As my old friend Donny Ladd used to say "twerent funny but we all laughed"

Squatting dog I suggest you start meandering over to the YARC...

TrainChaser said:
Has anyone ever heard of anyone who has used one of these?

It's a portable anti-bear (and presumably, coyote) electric fence for camping, covers 27x27'.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/UDAP-Bear-Electric-Fence/1242284.uts

I didn't know such a thing existed.
It is purrfect (said 'the Cat Lady'). One thing that really scares me is bears! I'll be traveling on my own soon. (My cat is huge as everyone has to inform me,  lol, so I doubt a bird would try him, butbears, yup, he'd be great snack!)

I remember watching that youtube with the ranger and Bob asking about shooting to scare off coyotes at the BLM (?), that seminar, and the ranger said you could not shoot at the coyotes even to scare them off, so depending on where you are, be careful with firearms.

The biggest complaint that I saw with the snowbirds was having those 20 foot leashes on their tiny dogs and the dog disappearing from the end. I knew someone whose sister had her cat taken by I think an owl. Those extendable leashes aren't the best idea in the desert or anywhere with foliage. I actually use traffic leads on my dogs which keep them very close, I think they are like 24" long. Both of my dogs are older, the short leashes are a plus when confronted by less than friendly dogs also.

Well, if people are stoopid, I feel sorry for their pets. I've read most parks want your pet on a 6' leash - with you on the other end, DUH! When you are in public YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for your pet. People nowadays seem to have no respect for others' ... anything! It infuriates me!

RESPONSIBILITY is a word that many people aren't familiar with. And they can't think things through, either. I've seen many idiots with those 30-ft retractable leashes. One woman with an untrained pit bull nearly got a finger ripped off, and another dog was hurt when the leash looped around his leg in an altercation with another dog. You just don't have control with those things. And guess who usually suffers the most? Yep!

I use a retractable tape leash (one cut down to 6 ft, the other 8 ft) for a 30 lb beagle.  Longer can be problematic for control.  I like the retractable because it keeps the leash taut and I am not constantly having to untangle.  I like the tape leash because I can grab it for close control without it cutting into my hand.  The leash is attached to my backpack belt so both hands are free.  Works for me.

-- Spiff

So glad I read this thread, the topic was on my mind this weekend as I camped up in the Gravely Mtns.

IMG_1904-L.jpg

I have a little 8lb. Schipperke pup named d'Artagnon....Dart for short. 

I've camped up in this area for years and am well aware of the numerous birds of prey in the area. You see them all the time. This thread had me doubly aware of walking around with fluffy riparian burrito on the end of the leash. I kept him pretty close at hand.

About ten minute after the above pic was taken, my buddy Paul and I heard someone plying a guitar in the distance. We decided to go for a little walk in the waning light to see if we could find the source. As we walked down the road I had him on a retractable leash but only let him about ten feet in front of us. All of a sudden I see a flash out of the corner of my eye and look up to see a big owl (I think, it had very wide wings) twisting around in the air about 30 feet over our heads apparently looking for a short final approach to nail Dart that kept me and Paul out of the flight line. 

"Hey!", I shouted, pulling Dart to my feet. The bird took off.

Needless to say, Dart was on a very short lead between us as we walked back to camp. 

Those stupid doggie vests don't look quite so stupid now...but probably still too stupid to buy one. 

Vigilance certainly is now at the top of my list...my neck is sore from scanning the skies.

Leashing Dart under a table as we sat enjoying the Big Sky seemed workable.

Doesn't seem like quite enough though. Imma have to think more on this one.

Awwww. He's getting bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schipperkes are great little dogs! They're BIG little dogs, like Corgis. You can tuck them under your arm, but they have Presence.

Don't leash your dog outside while you are inside your rig. Birds of Prey will still try to take a small dog-- and may succeed.

A pack of coyotes will come right into camp and get your dog if he's leashed out there.

good points Bob. don't leave your dog unattended. also I don't put a collar on my dog unless I am going to leash him. I have seen 3 dogs in my lifetime hang themselves. only one lived and that is because we were there to save it. BTW none of the dogs were mine. highdesertranger

Hey, Highdesertranger. They make break away collars for dogs, I used one for years. Just has tags and identity info. If they get caught the dogs struggle will pop them. I believe they were adapted from cat collars of the same design. Then I use a regular leather collar for walks. I rarely chained my dog to anything as we camped in black bear, and coyote country all the time. Speed and agility being his only defense.

I have witnesses Coyote play the wounded animal trick. One limps into view crying while the otters circle left and right luring the animal out. Incredible adaptive hunting behavior. You'd admire it if it wasn't so insidious. 37mm Very Flare pistol with a brilliant white short shot signal works like a charm. "Hit that clearing with one shot. In the morning, the clearing had that smell, you know the smell...Nothing but coyote poop all over the place"

Here's a funny idea: A guy on another forum I frequent suggested I die (or peroxide with a black dog, I suppose) two big mean eyeballs on his back.

:)

It's an interesting idea...but I don't think I'll go there.  Maybe a black back vest with eyeballs on it though.  That might work. Nature does it.

tumblr_molfz3K6VX1ruppbso2_r1_500.jpg

Figure+53.x1+Deceptive+coloration:+moth+with+eyeballs.jpg