Dog or no dog?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
19?! That's incredible!!! That makes me smile.

For me? I say take the pup... You'll have company and the puppy will absolutely love being on the road!!

Bottom line, I couldn't do it without my dogs. I had a 16 y/o cattle dog who passed away last November who I traveled with for years in vans, RV's, planes, trains and automobiles... You name it. I got my Shar Pei/pit mix the summer before she passed, he's going on 2 years old now... Thanks GOD he came into my life when he did. Had she passed and I was left to my own emotions on the road without a pup to cuddle, IDK what my head would've done.

Back in April some friends and I rescued a litter of 9 pyrenees/lab puppies from under an old abandoned trailer in the middle of the AZ desert like 8 miles from the highway.... I kept one of the puppies and she's already 80 lbs at only 7 months 😫

When we found the puppies I could literally carry four of them at a time they were so small and as I'm watching her grow there was a certain bit of anxiety because I was afraid she was going to be too big to stay with me but much to my surprise the three of us fit quite comfortably in there and I haven't even gotten around to my build out so there's a lot more room to be found. Plus, they keep me warm AF on these cold nights and I know there hasn't been many since she came into my life but I have a feeling I'm going to save a lot of money not having to buy propane to eat the van this winter thanks to them.

Attachments

• 20220920_171408.jpg
    20220920_171408.jpg
    960.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20180225_174735.jpg
    20180225_174735.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • meandbo.jpg
    meandbo.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 0
I have a dog who I would not want to be without, but have noticed her usual bag of Pedigree dog food at WalMart has shrunk in size and increased in price by about $10 in the past 18 months or so.

A consideration,
For me, the dog food has become pricey, but the VET bills! Holy cow! Last year their medical costs exceeded mine.

Lots of mixes don't shed.

Getting a purebred dog is just as much of a gamble as a rescue dog, but you will be certain of how big it will get, and whether or not that breed has strong prey or hunting drive, or fetch drive, etc.

I very strongly advise people who have certain requirements for a dog to get an adult and not a puppy. With an adult you know the dog's personality upfront. With a puppy it is always an unknown, because a dog can change a great deal in the first year of their life and become something different from how they were at 10 weeks. And you of course have a lot of work to do to train the pup not to chew everything and to be house trained and walk nicely on a leash and so on. Takes a lot of energy, but if you are up for that, and want a certain breed, then go for it.

I very strongly believe in getting rescue animals and wish people would. At the same time, you have to be happy with your dog. You have to feel this is the dog you want to have, in order to bond well and to have the patience and grace needed for training. If you forego the breed you really want for a rescue dog that is not really what you want just because it is a rescue you may fall in love with the dog and be fine or you may not not be satisfied because he or she is not what you really wanted.

BUT, please remember that there are thousands of pure-breed rescue organizations all over the country and whatever breed you want to have, unless obscure, there will probably be a rescue that has them. For a nomadic person to travel to get a dog is maybe easier than for others, if traveling is necessary to get the breed you want from rescue.

Dogs are the greatest, and if you truly love and want the dog ....whatever dog it is.......you will make it work out!
Wishing you the best of luck and please keep us posted!
Another thing to consider is the breed's basic temperament. I have Pomeranians because I love their sense of humor--always joking, looking for a laugh. Almost always friendly to strangers, unless the strangers should not be trusted anyway. In turn, I put up with a lot of unnecessary barking, breed medical issues (bad teeth, subluxating knees, and collapsing trachea) that are also known issues for the breed. And hair--lots of it. But I love their hair.

For me, the dog food has become pricey, but the VET bills! Holy cow! Last year their medical costs exceeded mine.
I moved here with 2 cats. I have 1 now. My other one got very sick, wasn't eating etc. She was old. I brought her in and didn't want to do much for her as she was old and I knew my cat.I felt it was time. They insisted on testing her. I agreed to some. This turned into more as they couldn't find anything substantial without putting her through more. After all was said and done, she was there a freaking week and it cost me $3000 plus dollars and I euthanized her anyway. I was hurt, enraged and baffled. It was thanks to the final vet in the place that anyone listened at all. It was outrageous. My other cat is 19. I am waiting until the last minute before I do anything with her. As long as she is eating, toileting, drinking and seeming happy...no vet.

I learned that from this place. I had come from a New England vet who was a close friend and always respected my thoughts about my pets. This whole ordeal caught me off guard. I've had pets my whole life and never was treated like that. Know I know better with them. Yes, I still go there for a variety of other reasons.

^^^This is one of the issues I had to deal with with an older pet that had become a valued member of our family. If you truly love them as a family member and friend will you not be obligated to treat them medically the same way? Can you afford that especially if you have other family members that need care? Many animals used to be put down because medical treatment wasn’t available and there was no choice. Now there is, it just costs a large amount of money. Sadly many people today have to “choose” to put down animals they “love” due to other “family” obligations. I don’t want to ever be put in that situation again so all my animal experiences are animals living in the wild or other peoples pets that they hopefully can afford.

Yes!! This is one reason I am choosing not to replace my pets once they are all gone. You can't believe the endless pressure I receive from folks about getting another dog or cat. It's like the children or no children choice. I have had my pets (and still have one) and cared and loved every single one of them dearly. And it's because of that I choose not to have anymore. Just like I don't want anymore children. When I am done caring for my elderly mother, which I am doing well, it's time for me to have freedom to care for myself. And ditto, I always enjoy wildlife and my neighbors pets.

My nearly 13 year old, beloved dog will likely not be replaced when she is gone, as a pet outliving me and perhaps being without care until I am found is just intolerable to me.

But, I do believe our animals spirits remain close to us even after death, just like our loved humans do.

Yes yes. When my dog died stuff was going on in my apartment for a bit. There were noises in my bedroom and shadows. Finally he made his way across the rainbow Bridge. My cat had a tough time without him too.

In the Olde Dayes, vets recommended annual vaccinations for dogs and cats. They weren't too expensive, so most people went along. (Think 'guaranteed income').

Then, the word went out that annual vaccinations weren't a good idea, they were said to cause problems. They recommended once every three years, instead. (Think 'lack of constant, guaranteed income').

About 6 months ago, my best-ever cat started losing weight and vomiting often. The blood test + the 5-minute surgery that showed terminal pancreatic cancer + euthanasia cost $800. And that clinic is the most reasonable around.

I

I think some of the vaccinations might be over done for sure. I talked to my vet about this in fact. The never ending heart worm treatment for instance. She did give me a reasonable explanation, but I still was willing to take some chances on some. It can come down to cost and other factors.

One thing I always take into consideration is the animal's age, and what can or should be done at that point in their life.

for instance, one of my dogs is elderly now. The vet heard a heart murmur, and suggested I have an echo cardiogram done. My first question was, If he really has a heart murmur, what can be done about it? Her answer was that there is medication to keep it from getting worse, or at least slow down the progression. So I had the echo done because it was not invasive, and he has been on medication since. So far the vet says after 2 years that the murmur has not gotten worse. I don't have any way to know if that's because of the medication, but I am happy to pay for it even though it's expensive, and he thinks the pills are treats.

On the other hand, if he had a tumor, for instance, I wouldn't have the vet test it to see if it were cancer. Because what would I do if it were? He cannot have surgery with a heart murmur and at his age. I would never put a dog through chemo or radiation just to get a few more months. So I would do nothing and see what happens. Might be benign.

I think vets always want all the tests. Not necessarily to make money....my vet refers most testing to other places because she doesn't have the equipment. They just want to know so they can advise on treatment. But you can look at the whole picture and say no to all those tests if you know that if the results were bad there'd be nothing you could reasonably do about it. And don't let anyone make you feel bad about not doing further tests if you have thought it through and decide not to with an elderly animal. Their quality of life is a lot more important to them than quantity.

My vet does their own surgeries, and most all of their own tests, and I always pay attention to what they want to do, and why.

It can be a bit of a racket. 🙄

And speaking of heart worm treatment, mine gets one that also treats for things that can be picked up in puddles, creeks, rivers, lakes, etc., because she drinks from them when we travel.

One thing I always take into consideration is the animal's age, and what can or should be done at that point in their life.

for instance, one of my dogs is elderly now. The vet heard a heart murmur, and suggested I have an echo cardiogram done. My first question was, If he really has a heart murmur, what can be done about it? Her answer was that there is medication to keep it from getting worse, or at least slow down the progression. So I had the echo done because it was not invasive, and he has been on medication since. So far the vet says after 2 years that the murmur has not gotten worse. I don't have any way to know if that's because of the medication, but I am happy to pay for it even though it's expensive, and he thinks the pills are treats.

On the other hand, if he had a tumor, for instance, I wouldn't have the vet test it to see if it were cancer. Because what would I do if it were? He cannot have surgery with a heart murmur and at his age. I would never put a dog through chemo or radiation just to get a few more months. So I would do nothing and see what happens. Might be benign.

I think vets always want all the tests. Not necessarily to make money....my vet refers most testing to other places because she doesn't have the equipment. They just want to know so they can advise on treatment. But you can look at the whole picture and say no to all those tests if you know that if the results were bad there'd be nothing you could reasonably do about it. And don't let anyone make you feel bad about not doing further tests if you have thought it through and decide not to with an elderly animal. Their quality of life is a lot more important to them than quantity.
Exactly

So, all said to this point is great. I’m a huge fan of spay and neutering... that makes your life so much better and possibly others. Let breeders do the breeding... there are good ones.
If I need a sitter I know I can find Maki2, haha! But my dog and I are pretty inseparable. If something happens to me my kids will help her out. She loves em all.
I was warned she might not be good around people. She lives to be around people, especially kids.
I enjoy the companionship of a good dog and the one I currently have... well, I saved her more then once and I believe she’s saved me more then once. So we’re even. Haha!
I’d go without a dog until the right one is there... you’ll know. My last two were my last. Just go with your gut. And hair? I hate the shedding thing. So I try to comb mine regular. It helps... but not perfect.
My current dog has taught me a lot about a lot of things. She’s the last dog I expected to adopt. But she and I are now quite the pack. And don’t you worry mr please pick up your dogs poop. I do my best. I carry poop bags always. I pick up after others as well if I can. Most people I’ve met are pretty good dog owners. I stay away from National Parks basically because of dog rules. I’m not apposed to a leash. More to the fact there are so many people and most I prefer to avoid. Haha! A dogs sense can be quite useful.
Once mine is gone, I’ll hang around other people more. Expense... like everything, I budget best I can. She has her own emergency fund. Yeah, I’ll be sad when her time is done. But I’ll know every day she had with me was a gift for both of us.
She was that close to being put down!

So, all said to this point is great. I’m a huge fan of spay and neutering... that makes your life so much better and possibly others. Let breeders do the breeding... there are good ones.
If I need a sitter I know I can find Maki2, haha! But my dog and I are pretty inseparable. If something happens to me my kids will help her out. She loves em all.
I was warned she might not be good around people. She lives to be around people, especially kids.
I enjoy the companionship of a good dog and the one I currently have... well, I saved her more then once and I believe she’s saved me more then once. So we’re even. Haha!
I’d go without a dog until the right one is there... you’ll know. My last two were my last. Just go with your gut. And hair? I hate the shedding thing. So I try to comb mine regular. It helps... but not perfect.
My current dog has taught me a lot about a lot of things. She’s the last dog I expected to adopt. But she and I are now quite the pack. And don’t you worry mr please pick up your dogs poop. I do my best. I carry poop bags always. I pick up after others as well if I can. Most people I’ve met are pretty good dog owners. I stay away from National Parks basically because of dog rules. I’m not apposed to a leash. More to the fact there are so many people and most I prefer to avoid. Haha! A dogs sense can be quite useful.
Once mine is gone, I’ll hang around other people more. Expense... like everything, I budget best I can. She has her own emergency fund. Yeah, I’ll be sad when her time is done. But I’ll know every day she had with me was a gift for both of us.
She was that close to being put down!

🥰