Dog or no dog?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graycurlsvanning

Reaction score
I would love to hear from all of you...pros and cons. I am currently without a canine companion, first time in as long as I can remember. I do still have a 19 year old cat though. She certainly won't be around by the time I hit the road...she will have crossed her rainbow Bridge. So what do you all think...??

Attachments

• 20200220_160223.jpg
    20200220_160223.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
A Dog is usually very alert and seem to have a sixth sense about bad people.
Once bonded to you it will become very protective and a great companion.
I got mine as a puppy at six weeks old and he's now two years old.
Use your head if picking up a puppy or older Dog. My biggest fear is that he outlives me.
As an aside, I don't think I would to live without him now.
Mine is a medium sized Border Collie.
Here he is having fun in Northern Nevada Mountains.
20220928_071313.jpg

Awww, border collies are supposed to be one of the smartest dogs. I have had dogs my whole life. They are better than humans for sure. I just lost my last dog in December. It was awful. I surely have had some great dogs and some that were extremely challenging :) And losing a dog is such a painful loss. I guess if the universe wants me to have one on the road it will come my way. Thanks for sharing.

Ohh I like this topic! I am enjoying my first trip in my van, and I miss my 2 German Sheddars at home lol. They are litter mates and don’t like to be separated. And I can’t handle both in such a small space.

I think I will start researching breeds that don’t shed. I think that would be a big plus for living in such a small space. When at home my shepherds love getting in the van but they shed like snow in the winter.

What will you do with your German shepherds? Do you travel only part time? So you might have traveling dogs and home dogs?? :)

My husband is still working and truthfully does not want to travel in a van lol, in the future he wants to travel towing our travel trailer. But for now he is at home with the dogs. So yes!! The big dogs are really his lol. And I will get me a travel buddy.

I can hardly wait to see his response when I tell him I am picking up a souvenir that yips !!

I have a dog who I would not want to be without, but have noticed her usual bag of Pedigree dog food at WalMart has shrunk in size and increased in price by about $10 in the past 18 months or so.

A consideration,

Yes food is a consideration. I have sat here this morning doing a pro vs con on when to get a small dog. Puppies need shots just like infants. Not sure if I want to take a young pup into various campsites without proper protection. Also my other dogs are 9 years old and have a completely different diet because of age and needs. So I would have to consider food too. This morning I was all set to change direction and go find a pup. But I need more information!
I also don’t know if I want a pure bred. And I refuse to go to a pet shop. Maybe I will call my home town vet and find out the puppy plan of care, then check out different county pounds and shelters.

My “new” Van life” is all about healing and reclaiming my life. Maybe my new travel buddy will be a saved life as well!!

My husband is still working and truthfully does not want to travel in a van lol, in the future he wants to travel towing our travel trailer. But for now he is at home with the dogs. So yes!! The big dogs are really his lol. And I will get me a travel buddy.

I can hardly wait to see his response when I tell him I am picking up a souvenir that yips !!
I LOVE this!! Additions to the pack can always be an adventure in itself. :D Good luck!!!

So what do you all think...??
How will you be living?

The main thing I didn't like about a dog was that they bark and scare the wildlife away. I think most people like having a companion though, and they are great for that. They tend to love the life, which is also cool.

Yes food is a consideration. I have sat here this morning doing a pro vs con on when to get a small dog. Puppies need shots just like infants. Not sure if I want to take a young pup into various campsites without proper protection. Also my other dogs are 9 years old and have a completely different diet because of age and needs. So I would have to consider food too. This morning I was all set to change direction and go find a pup. But I need more information!
I also don’t know if I want a pure bred. And I refuse to go to a pet shop. Maybe I will call my home town vet and find out the puppy plan of care, then check out different county pounds and shelters.

My “new” Van life” is all about healing and reclaiming my life. Maybe my new travel buddy will be a saved life as well!!
One can find all sorts of dogs going the rescue route (pure bred and not). I have found these companions to be some of the most wonderful. Plus they often come fully equipped with shots etc. And, depending on the rescue organization, they may know the background of the pup. Many have stringent guidelines now about what humans they will place an animal with (thank goodness), so everyone will end up happy. Check online for all sorts of rescue animals!! Xo

I am 100% a dog person and wouldn't even consider living any kind of life that would not allow me to have a dog, so there is some bias to what I say.

To me, the number one question that anyone considering getting a dog, whether or not they have had dog(s) previously, is "What do I have to offer to a dog?"
Most people instead think: "I want a dog who will do this and that and not do this or that and be this thing which I desire."
But that, in my opinion, is exactly the opposite of the right approach. Dogs aren't here for people to use any more than people are here for that purpose. And, just like with people, you will most of the time get out of a relationship what quality you put into it.

The point being, of course, that having a dog is having a Relationship. Not just having an animal.

So I always suggest a person ask him or her self the following:
How much room do I have?
How active am I? Can I keep a large and very active dog who needs a lot of exercise happy? Or do I need a small dog who doesn't need to go far to get exercise and likes to be a couch potato?
How much do I know about training, can I get training help if there are issues, and am I willing to put in the effort needed to train my dog in the way that will work best for our ongoing relationship?
Can I manage a large breed dog who is very strong on a leash and train him or her not to pull me off my feet?
Do I need a dog who will alert me to the presence of others or one who will actually protect me?
If the latter, then am I willing and able to train the dog to be protective without being a danger to anyone?
How much good quality dog food can I afford? (small breed vs large and how much they eat)
Can I afford to create a fund to pay for vet bills and shots and all of the other things that can come up that cost money?
Can I take full responsibility for keeping my dog safe and taking good care of him or her?
How much time do I have to spend with the dog? (Now, living full time in a vehicle, of course, that answer is "almost all the time", and dogs always like that!

I am a dog trainer with some skill and many years of experience and I have helped a great number of people to solve problems they had with their dogs. Usually the problem is caused because the person didn't think it through before getting the dog, or allowed a bad habit to continue until now it is unbearable and hard to change, or they don't realize that building a strong and trusting relationship is the foundation of living peacefully and happily with a dog, and just expect the dog to do what they are told without realizing that dogs need to be shown what is good to do and training has to be done with patience, kindness, and rewards, rather than NOs and punishment.

I don't think it matters all that much your circumstances; if you go about building the relationship the right way and are able to manage the size, energy, and needs of the dog, you should have a dog. Dogs don't need fancy things. They don't need expensive organic dog food, just healthy ingredients. They can be very happy in a small trailer or living in a van or car with someone who treats them well and loves them and puts their needs first. By which I mean, things like no matter how tired you are the dog gets a walk.

Personally, I would go hungry and never let my dogs be without a meal if it came to that. Not saying everyone has to be like me in that way, but the dog is a thinking, feeling, innocent and intelligent being who depends on the person for everything, and that always has to be taken into consideration.

Bottom line: would THIS dog be happy with what I can give to him or her? If you think the answer is yes and you really want a dog then I say go for it, no matter your age or circumstances. In my opinion, dogs are the best companions anyone can have.

I am 100% a dog person and wouldn't even consider living any kind of life that would not allow me to have a dog, so there is some bias to what I say.

To me, the number one question that anyone considering getting a dog, whether or not they have had dog(s) previously, is "What do I have to offer to a dog?"
Most people instead think: "I want a dog who will do this and that and not do this or that and be this thing which I desire."
But that, in my opinion, is exactly the opposite of the right approach. Dogs aren't here for people to use any more than people are here for that purpose. And, just like with people, you will most of the time get out of a relationship what quality you put into it.

The point being, of course, that having a dog is having a Relationship. Not just having an animal.

So I always suggest a person ask him or her self the following:
How much room do I have?
How active am I? Can I keep a large and very active dog who needs a lot of exercise happy? Or do I need a small dog who doesn't need to go far to get exercise and likes to be a couch potato?
How much do I know about training, can I get training help if there are issues, and am I willing to put in the effort needed to train my dog in the way that will work best for our ongoing relationship?
Can I manage a large breed dog who is very strong on a leash and train him or her not to pull me off my feet?
Do I need a dog who will alert me to the presence of others or one who will actually protect me?
If the latter, then am I willing and able to train the dog to be protective without being a danger to anyone?
How much good quality dog food can I afford? (small breed vs large and how much they eat)
Can I afford to create a fund to pay for vet bills and shots and all of the other things that can come up that cost money?
Can I take full responsibility for keeping my dog safe and taking good care of him or her?
How much time do I have to spend with the dog? (Now, living full time in a vehicle, of course, that answer is "almost all the time", and dogs always like that!

I am a dog trainer with some skill and many years of experience and I have helped a great number of people to solve problems they had with their dogs. Usually the problem is caused because the person didn't think it through before getting the dog, or allowed a bad habit to continue until now it is unbearable and hard to change, or they don't realize that building a strong and trusting relationship is the foundation of living peacefully and happily with a dog, and just expect the dog to do what they are told without realizing that dogs need to be shown what is good to do and training has to be done with patience, kindness, and rewards, rather than NOs and punishment.

I don't think it matters all that much your circumstances; if you go about building the relationship the right way and are able to manage the size, energy, and needs of the dog, you should have a dog. Dogs don't need fancy things. They don't need expensive organic dog food, just healthy ingredients. They can be very happy in a small trailer or living in a van or car with someone who treats them well and loves them and puts their needs first. By which I mean, things like no matter how tired you are the dog gets a walk.

Personally, I would go hungry and never let my dogs be without a meal if it came to that. Not saying everyone has to be like me in that way, but the dog is a thinking, feeling, innocent and intelligent being who depends on the person for everything, and that always has to be taken into consideration.

Bottom line: would THIS dog be happy with what I can give to him or her? If you think the answer is yes and you really want a dog then I say go for it, no matter your age or circumstances. In my opinion, dogs are the best companions anyone can have.
This is so wonderful! Packed with wonderful information. Having had dogs my whole life, I couldn't agree more. Some humans don't deserve the dogs they have, and I have found dogs better than most humans! The pain of just losing mine is still fresh. It will take time. Thanks for all the tips provided here!!!

Reactions: D'L
If you go with a mixed breed, it's going to shed -- guaranteed. And many of the breeds that don't shed do require grooming, which is getting more expensive.

Formerly-owned dogs often have "problems":
• Aggressiveness toward people or other pets,
• Were never housebroken,
• Separation anxiety >>> tear the place apart if left alone,
• Have never been trained, even to walk on a leash, or not to jump on people.
• Etc.

Any dog must be neutered, male or female. This is an absolute.

It is no longer recommended to vaccinate pets every year. Both dogs and cats must be vaccinated against rabies -- this is an absolute.

Don't worry about licensing -- you're just passing through.

Tag AND microchip -- you can't be too careful. Pet's name and your phone number on the tag will do. NO, you do NOT need to re-register with the chip company for an annual fee every year.

As you travel, ask about the local veterinarians, both good and bad. Write down the clinic name, phone #, address (or stop by and pick up a business card/you'll know where it is). VCA Animal Hospitals are usually the most expensive, with pets scoring less than profit, from what I've heard. They are owned by the Mars candy bar people.

Last edited:
I have fairly good luck thankfully with rescue dogs, but it is a gamble for sure.
And I'm not saying they can't be trained out of poor behavior. But it is best to know if you will be facing certain problems. When you're living with what can be the bare necessities, you don't want them destroyed.