Dog or no dog?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of mixes don't shed.

Getting a purebred dog is just as much of a gamble as a rescue dog, but you will be certain of how big it will get, and whether or not that breed has strong prey or hunting drive, or fetch drive, etc.

I very strongly advise people who have certain requirements for a dog to get an adult and not a puppy. With an adult you know the dog's personality upfront. With a puppy it is always an unknown, because a dog can change a great deal in the first year of their life and become something different from how they were at 10 weeks. And you of course have a lot of work to do to train the pup not to chew everything and to be house trained and walk nicely on a leash and so on. Takes a lot of energy, but if you are up for that, and want a certain breed, then go for it.

I very strongly believe in getting rescue animals and wish people would. At the same time, you have to be happy with your dog. You have to feel this is the dog you want to have, in order to bond well and to have the patience and grace needed for training. If you forego the breed you really want for a rescue dog that is not really what you want just because it is a rescue you may fall in love with the dog and be fine or you may not not be satisfied because he or she is not what you really wanted.

BUT, please remember that there are thousands of pure-breed rescue organizations all over the country and whatever breed you want to have, unless obscure, there will probably be a rescue that has them. For a nomadic person to travel to get a dog is maybe easier than for others, if traveling is necessary to get the breed you want from rescue.

Dogs are the greatest, and if you truly love and want the dog ....whatever dog it is.......you will make it work out!
Wishing you the best of luck and please keep us posted!

If you are open to a rescued dog (very commendable), I would recommend getting one from an organization that fosters their dogs. An incoming dog is placed in a foster home until deemed ready to adopt. At adoption you will know: its personality, how it behaves in a home, how it behaves around children, how it behaves around other pets, how it behaves around strangers, and any other known problems. This takes away a lot of unknowns.
Great idea!!

For me it's NO DOG. They're too much work, they inhibit your freedom, and they make your life harder. I like to do things, see things, and be active. I love going to museums, book readings, movies, etc. I want to go ziplining, see tourist attractions, go to music festivals, ride rides at amusement parks, and just be adventurous and active. There are too many places dogs can't go, even within national parks. If I had the money, I could put it in a doggie daycare every day but I don't want to do that.

Then they need to be walked, exercised, let out to pottie, and they bark. I'm not going outside in the rain, snow, cold, and heat. I don't want to walk a dog twice a day, regardless of how I feel. I know too many people who were sick as a dog in their vehicles and still had to get up, leash their dog, and take it to the bathroom. I'm not doing that. Then they get the inside of your vehicle FILTHY from their hair and feet and I'm not cleaning and vacuuming my vehicle everyday. They start stinking and then your vehicle ends up stinky. That's a no go too. You can't be stealthy because they bark so everyone knows you're in the van. You can't leave them in the van in the summer because they'll die so you have to take them with you everywhere. Everything about your travels have to be about them and I'm past the point of wanting my life to revolve around anyone or anything but myself.

Usually, when I say why I don't want a dog, someone feels the need to tell me why they do. Please don't. I don't care. Lots of people love their dogs and love traveling with them. That's awesome. I'm not trying to take anyone's dog from them. For myself, I don't want a dog. I talk to people and have weapons. I'm good.

Last edited:
^^^ Not to mention their shorter life spans and the grief that you have to deal with when they pass.

^^^ Not to mention their shorter life spans and the grief that you have to deal with when they pass.
All good relationships have a cost: the deeper the connection the deeper the grief at parting. I willingly accept the grief to come in exchange for the love and companionship da beagle gives over our years together. Couple that with the knowledge that I took him out of a bad situation and gave him as good a life as I could tempers the grief.

Reactions: D'L
The cost of a loving relationship is grief. My last dog was with us 17 years. I sat with her as she passed and buried her. I just don’t want to or think I could bear that responsibility at my age again. Enjoying watching wildlife and nature in it’s natural setting has filled the gap she left without the pains of departure. Still feel the responsibility of understanding and insuring animals have the habitats to live their natural lives in and that takes more time than I have to give.

For me it's NO DOG. They're too much work, they inhibit your freedom, and they make your life harder. I like to do things, see things, and be active. I love going to museums, book readings, movies, etc. I want to go ziplining, see tourist attractions, go to music festivals, ride rides at amusement parks, and just be adventurous and active. There are too many places dogs can't go, even within national parks. If I had the money, I could put it in a doggie daycare every day but I don't want to do that.

Then they need to be walked, exercised, let out to pottie, and they bark. I'm not going outside in the rain, snow, cold, and heat. I don't want to walk a dog twice a day, regardless of how I feel. I know too many people who were sick as a dog in their vehicles and still had to get up, leash their dog, and take it to the bathroom. I'm not doing that. Then they get the inside of your vehicle FILTHY from their hair and feet and I'm not cleaning and vacuuming my vehicle everyday. They start stinking and then your vehicle ends up stinky. That's a no go too. You can't be stealthy because they bark so everyone knows you're in the van. You can't leave them in the van in the summer because they'll die so you have to take them with you everywhere. Everything about your travels have to be about them and I'm past the point of wanting my life to revolve around anyone or anything but myself.

Usually, when I say why I don't want a dog, someone feels the need to tell me why they do. Please don't. I don't care. Lots of people love their dogs and love traveling with them. That's awesome. I'm not trying to take anyone's dog from them. For myself, I don't want a dog. I talk to people and have weapons. I'm good.
Thanks for being so honest. I am really grateful to hear the downside of having a dog if you choose vanning life. Actually these are some of the very reasons I have chosen not to replace the dog I had to euthanize in December. I have been a faithful dog owner my whole life, and still love them dearly, but it came with difficulties for me as I have aged and cared for my elderly mother and he aged too. I can see where on the road a dog would present its own set of difficulties. Thank you for this thoughtful response.

I would love to hear from all of you...pros and cons. I am currently without a canine companion, first time in as long as I can remember. I do still have a 19 year old cat though. She certainly won't be around by the time I hit the road...she will have crossed her rainbow Bridge. So what do you all think...??
no dog til you find you on the road. if soon then cool, you can find a stray on the side of the road at a gas station or hit a kill shelter and save one but YOU MUST learn you life on the road and enjoy just that til ya know you life on the road suits a dog. Just the way I would do it, your mileage could vary a ton from my thoughts, lol.

what comes into our lives when we truly require it will and you will know when the time is right........but if new on the road, do you first :) then when you know that action and how you are living daily and your needs you can then throw any time you can give a pet in good truth to them in fine form if it suits you.

I am thinking personally for me on the road later when I hit full force, a beta fish in a nice container with a nice live plant. Yea my mind is I WANNA DO ME first but want some companion other than my hubby along the way, so a Beta fish is like, hmm, ok to travel, none effected by heat/extreme cold and not left in car while I shop or go to some adventure on the road and 'can do for itself' IF I MEET ALL the requirments my little fishy friend needs. Or even maybe 2-4 guppies in a container with a live plant kinda......yes I am an aquarium fish person :)......but thing is I like 'something for care' and companionship and I know MANY would think a fish is useless LOL but for me it would not be so???? do you but find you first on the road before bigger responsibility kicks in ya know on bigger pets. again, just thoughts!

Last edited:
Thanks for being so honest. I am really grateful to hear the downside of having a dog if you choose vanning life. Actually these are some of the very reasons I have chosen not to replace the dog I had to euthanize in December. I have been a faithful dog owner my whole life, and still love them dearly, but it came with difficulties for me as I have aged and cared for my elderly mother and he aged too. I can see where on the road a dog would present its own set of difficulties. Thank you for this thoughtful response.
You're welcome. I've owned several dogs - I completely adore rottweilers - and I'm an awesome dog parent so I know the work involved in caring for them properly.

Oh, I forgot to add if you're going to be traveling full-time, you also have to consider what would happen if you got seriously sick on the road. I've seen several people post that they ended up in the hospital and either lost their dog forever - it ended up lost or someone took it - or it was taken to the pound. Especially if you know you have health issues, you need a plan for what to do with the dog if you need emergency care.

Oh, another reason I don't have a dog is that I travel alone and half my time is spent in urban areas. It wouldn't be safe for me to get out of my SUV in the middle of the night to take my dog somewhere to poop. Just like people, dogs get stomach upsets and when they have to go, they have to go. I can't risk my safety like that.

Ok. I think I'm done. 🤣

No pets for me…… dog cat parakeet whaever. Having a dog tho is like taking care of a 2 year old for 15 years.
That's what I was going to say! But it's worse because kids can go way more places than dogs. And when they get old it's heartbreaking. At the end, my dogs had to wear diapers, they got dementia, and they were always at the vets. Ugh. I couldn't imagine that in a vehicle.

You're welcome. I've owned several dogs - I completely adore rottweilers - and I'm an awesome dog parent so I know the work involved in caring for them properly.

Oh, I forgot to add if you're going to be traveling full-time, you also have to consider what would happen if you got seriously sick on the road. I've seen several people post that they ended up in the hospital and either lost their dog forever - it ended up lost or someone took it - or it was taken to the pound. Especially if you know you have health issues, you need a plan for what to do with the dog if you need emergency care.

Oh, another reason I don't have a dog is that I travel alone and half my time is spent in urban areas. It wouldn't be safe for me to get out of my SUV in the middle of the night to take my dog somewhere to poop. Just like people, dogs get stomach upsets and when they have to go, they have to go. I can't risk my safety like that.

Ok. I think I'm done. 🤣
Yes another excellent point! I totally appreciate this valuable information!! (y):giggle:

One of my biggest fears traveling alone but for the dog is that something will happen to me and she will be left without care.

All decisions end up being made around your dog and it’s well-being, is the truth, and this is one of the reasons I don’t go 20 miles down a dirt road into the wild yonder alone.

If something happened to me suddenly, oh well, it’s my time, but the thought of her being without care until I am found is intolerable to me.

Which is why I don’t expect to replace her if my ability to travel outlives her.

I carry in my wallet, behind my drivers license, a red In Case of Emergency card indicating I have a pet at home alone and emergency contact information for my kids on the back.

All you can do is all you can do.

Last edited:
One of my biggest fears traveling alone but for the dog is that something will happen to me and she will be left without care.

All decisions end up made around your dog and it’s well-being, is the truth, and this is one of the reasons I don’t go 20 miles down a dirt road into the wild yonder alone.

If something happened to me suddenly, oh well, it’s my time, but the thought of her being without care until I am found is intolerable to me.

Which is why I don’t expect to replace her if my ability to travel outlives her.

I carry in my wallet, behind my drivers license, a red In Case of Emergency card indicating I have a pet at home alone and emergency contact information for my kids on the back.

All you can do is all you can do.
I have not traveled from my fixed home for 7 years because of my elderly pets. I realize that may seem nuts to many people, but just as elderly humans need special care, so do pets! There is no way that I would kennel them, nor do I have neighbors that I would ask or put the burden of caring for them. Plus, who could possibly do the job I do?? I say that half jokingly, but... I would be reluctant to put my kids as emergency contacts. While they adore their dogs, I doubt they would drop everything for mine...or me for that matter. :ROFLMAO:

You might be surprised how adult kids step up in emergencies.

My son dropped everything and flew halfway across the country when my husband was stricken 800+ miles from home, to at my request take the dog home and care for her.

She was my biggest concern, being cared for by strangers during this emergency.

He then rented a vehicle, drove two days back home and kept her until my husband died and I got home 5 or 6 days later.

When I do any travel that can’t include her, he and his family care for her, and she loves them almost as much as she loves me.

If I didn’t have him living nearby, however, many things would be different.

I am very glad that you have had this experience. It surely would have loaded the burden of stress and grief going through illness then death worrying about a beloved pet too. I couldn't imagine. I have one daughter who now is unhomed living in shelters and various other situations so she would be out of the question. My oldest daughter has 2 dogs that would in no way share their home with another dog. In fact when my youngest visited with her partner in their skoolie and their dogs, the dogs were not allowed near each other. My youngest might be a possibility but her dog is also extremely neurotic. They visited me here in their skoolie for a short trip which turned long because their old dog needed oral surgery. They took over my tiny apartment and my old cat and dog suffered. We had a go around about it. Her dog had actually grown up with my pets but apparently didn't remember or was too traumatized.

I would love to hear from all of you...pros and cons. I am currently without a canine companion, first time in as long as I can remember. I do still have a 19 year old cat though. She certainly won't be around by the time I hit the road...she will have crossed her rainbow Bridge. So what do you all think...??
i did love my dog BUT a barking Dog will get you in trouble in a Heart Beat(PETA) people are determined to do that too. any pet lover will scorn you as well. walk your pet .(PLEASE CLEAN UP AFTER IT) this is my 2 cents.
keebler.

I have a 1.5 year old border collie. I was surprised by the challenges of raising a young dog on the road. No regular classes to attend, constant new/ stimulating environments, small indoor space to train, no consistent dog friends to learn how to share with, no “ low stimuli” (like noise) places to put her, difficulty getting vet appointments, limited places to run free in some areas. It has been a vastly different experience compared to raising my previous border collie and taking her to classes/ doing agility. I’d love to do agility with Willow, but it’s too equipment heavy for the road, so we’re learning frisbee tricks instead. I would definitely say, yes dog, but it can be harder on the road.