Dog and laundromat

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevea

Reaction score
I’m going to need to do a load of laundry every few weeks and am wondering what other solo travelers do with their dog. Are you taking your dog into the laundromat? I won’t leave my dog in the car when it’s this hot in the day (80s)

I might be going at night or going to a truck stop where I can can sit in my rig while the washer is running. 

I’m in Douglass right now and will head to the Caravan in Silver City NM in a week. 

Any suggestions?

I do laundry early in the morning, open windows and doors, and don’t try to take her inside.

Once I get laundry started, I rejoin her and we usually go for a walk.

I don’t see many dogs in laundromats, and often “no pets” is posted.

Laundromats are also often crowded and busy, and always noisy, may not be the most hospitable environment for your dog.

It certainly isn’t for mine.

Many are afraid of dogs, and then there are the small children.

For doing laundry in Silver City, I recommend 12th Street Laundromat.

Why can't you sit in your car ot be outside with your dog at a laundromat or ask it it's OK to bring it in?

Many laundromats have a drop-off service, if you see an attendant, just ask him or her.

It will cost a bit more, but you can be in and out in 2 minutes.

I found a laundromat called bright wash in Douglas. It was clean and 1.25 a load. I tossed in my load, walked the dog for 20 minutes then came back and took my stuff back to camp to hang dry.

Parking is in front and back so if there are any others in Douglas later, it’s super convenient to sit in your car while your laundry is washing.

My dog would definitely prefer not going on there even if she could. The washers were noisy.

As with all things, when you travel with a pet your life centers on their health, wellness and safety. Do your laundry early in the morning or after the sunsets.

Emotional support dogs are not service dogs and do not have the same privileges.

Please don't take your dog into laundry mats, unless it's a legitimate service dog. People with allergies, etc. do not need go home with your dogs hair and dander on their clean clothes

cyndi said:
Emotional support dogs are not service dogs and do not have the same privileges.

Please don't take your dog into laundry mats, unless it's a legitimate service dog. People with allergies, etc. do not need go home with your dogs hair and dander on their clean clothes

Whoa! where did that come from?

who said anything about emotional support dogs or even service dogs, i dont even see where any one insisted on a right to take their dog into a laundromat. no time for a misplaced crusade. while there are legal differences between service animals and emotional support animals. there are no blanket laws, federal or state banning emotional support animals from laundromats or other private businesses for that mater. the laws that do restrict where an emotioal support animal can be taken vary tremendously from state to state. there are a couple fed rules that all states must abide by. but after that it is up to the states and locals.

Here are federal service animal laws.

The ADA protects service dogs and their handlers. There are some service animal laws that are federal and all 50 states must uphold them. While many of the laws apply to working with disabilities, the one that applies most often for people who have a service animal or an ESA is the “2 Questions” law. This law states that the only two questions staff are allowed to ask about a service animal are:

“Is the animal required because of a disability?”
   “What work or task does the animal perform?”

https://lowincomerelief.com/service-animal-laws/

if a person can answer those questions, it is a service animal. they do not have to prove it, and they do not have to have any certification or documentation. other than locally required dog license/vaccination stuff. so there are cases where you and i might feel it is an emotional support animal, yet it and its handler would be protected as a service animal.

on top of that, there are no blanket federal or state laws or statutes banning pets/animals from laundromats or other businesses. some state health codes do restrict animals from food establishments like restaurants and grocery stores, washington comes to mind, but not all. i have yet to come across any county or city statue banning animals from private businesses. there may be some, i just have not come across them. the only general blanket rule or law would be that it is up to the business as to whether or not they allow animals. so in general, unless it is posted no dogs or no pets, you are likely barking up the wrong tree. in such a case your only legal course of action is to take you business elsewhere and or complain to the management/owner.

i for one, would rather see a well behaved leashed dog sitting with their owner than some some welfare family with half a dozen out of control spawn running amuck in the laundromat. but their is no law against that. so i bite my tongue or i move on. when in a private business, those can be words to live by.

with that said, not everyone grew up with or has experience with doing laundry on the road. especially when you have an animal you are responsible for. the OP just asked for ideas and options, and i quote

stevea said:
I’m going to need to do a load of laundry every few weeks and am wondering what other solo travelers do with their dog. Are you taking your dog into the laundromat? I won’t leave my dog in the car when it’s this hot in the day (80s)

I might be going at night or going to a truck stop where I can can sit in my rig while the washer is running. 

I’m in Douglass right now and will head to the Caravan in Silver City NM in a week. 

Any suggestions?

there have been several good ideas and suggestions

i too like the idea of doing my laundry after the hot part of the day. i often go late to 24 hour spots to avoid the crowds and busy times.

i also see lots of people that tie their pet to a nearby post while they duck in to an establishment where they cant take their animal. pop in drop a load, then go back and walk the dog, return to move cloths and so on...

but i am also going to add. check the laundromat out, look for signage by the door. if they, the business owners/management has not posted "no dog/animals" then taking your pet in with you may be an option. dog and pet friendly buisinesses are becoming more and more popular. if you do take a pet into an establishment that does not prohibit them. please keep them under control and make sure they are well behaved. leashes are a good idea, even if you animal is so well trained it is not needed and there is no leash law. it just goes a long way towards building a positive image with the non-pet loving world

Seminole Wind said:
Whoa! where did that come from?

who said anything about emotional support dogs
The post was deleted, it seems. Still, the information is relevant

cyndi said:
The post was deleted, it seems. Still, the information is relevant

ok, i missed the deleted post.

yet information is only relevant if accurate.

as i posted, unless the business has posted no animals. then except for a few situations it is fine to take your animal in with you

do you know of any state or local statutes prhibiting animals in private laundromat businesses? if so could you post the statute or link to the source. i would be very interested in reading up on it

thanks

^
I realize that common courtesy is sorely lacking in this day and age. That doesn't make it any less relevant.

I'm a dog lover and owner. I've been involved in every aspect of the canine industry that I can think of. My current companion used to be my service dog. Dogs do not belong in places where they may affect a human's well-being. The only exception is a legitimate service dog.

I'm out of this conversation. I won't hijack this thread any further. It's not a discussion about where we can or can't take our 4 legged companions.

i am sorry cyndi, while you are entitled to your opinion. you are not entitled to hold everyone to your opinion or beliefs.

the issue of if taking a dog into a laundromat is legal, is very much pertinent to this thread. unless you have a statute to present supporting otherwise i stand by my statement that unless posted other wise by the business it is legal to take your dog cat or cucumber into the laundromat.

Legalities shouldn't be the only criteria IMO.

Taking a dog in to a business (other than a pet store) can be offensive to the other shoppers. Some are allergic to dog hair/dandruff and not everyone even likes dogs - strange as that may sound :rolleyes: .

While I love dogs (well most of them), I find that way too often dog owners think that their 'legal rights' outweigh the rights of others.

I had large, long haired dogs on the road with me for the better part of 14 years and the only time any of them were ever in a laundromat was when there were no other users and the attendant asked me to bring him in. The rest of the time the dog stayed outside - tied up to a post or the trailer hitch, in the van for a minute or so while I started the wash/drier or I did the laundry on a cool day, first thing in the morning or later in the day.

Just as we abhor those people who trash camp sites, so should we be vitally aware of how we behave as visitors to an area and the businesses that are supported in large by the people who live there as opposed to those of us who are only passing through.

Almost There said:
Legalities shouldn't be the only criteria IMO.

Taking a dog in to a business (other than a pet store) can be offensive to the other shoppers. Some are allergic to dog hair/dandruff and not everyone even likes dogs - strange as that may sound :rolleyes: .

then those people have the right to go elsewhere. they can also complain to the business owner and maybe get them to put up a sign prohibiting pets. just because someone does not like dogs or even if they are afraid of dogs, does not give them the right to retrict dog owners from doing otherwise legal activities. if i didnt like your perfume/body odor do i have the right to exclude you from the laundromat because i dont like how you smell? where do you draw the line.

While I love dogs (well most of them), I find that way too often dog owners think that their 'legal rights' outweigh the rights of others.
the owner of the business has the right to post the restriction, you dont have the right to over ride that. in this case i think it is not the law abiding dog owner that is expecting special treatment. and i make this staement as one who has and will confront dog owners that are in violation of leash laws. if they refuse to comply i have and will call in law enforcement but if they are following the law and i dont like it. i go find another place to do my thing.

I had large, long haired dogs on the road with me for the better part of 14 years and the only time any of them were ever in a laundromat was when there were no other users and the attendant asked me to bring him in. The rest of the time the dog stayed outside - tied up to a post or the trailer hitch, in the van for a minute or so while I started the wash/drier or I did the laundry on a cool day, first thing in the morning or later in the day.
that is your choice, you were within the law. good on you. but that does not mean everyone has to follow in your foot steps

Just as we abhor those people who trash camp sites, so should we be vitally aware of how we behave as visitors to an area and the businesses that are supported in large by the people who live there as opposed to those of us who are only passing through.

people that trash campsites are violating any number of other laws. they may also not be passing through, they may be the local riff raff. just as the local laundromat may not post restrictions or prohibit dogs because the locals like to bring their dogs. who are we as just passing through van dwellers to judge and expect them to bend and change to our expectations. if someones dog is causing real problems in a laundromat, like being aggressive or making a mess there are other laws that can be enforced to put an end to that.

I didn't think dogs were allowed in any public business. seeing eye dogs of course are an exception. highdesertranger

i would be very interested in seeing a statute that supports that thought. i have not found them, other than that as i mentioned some states like washington ban pets in food establishments/grocery stores under health code. i imagine many local government health code forbids animals in food establishments as well.

many large nation wide chain stores are know for being pet friendly, and i am not just talking about pet stores

here are just a few from the following article...
Lowe's.
Home Depot.
Pottery Barn.
Macy's.
Bass Pro Shops.
Barnes and Noble.
LUSH Cosmetics.
Restoration Hardware.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/19-dogfriendly-stores-where-you-can-shop-with-your-pup_b_6109922

most likely individual store managers can over ride the general company policy just like walmart overnight parking. but in general there are many major stores that welcome pets

if there were laws preventing it. i dont see these companies breaking the law just to please a few dog owners. just like walmart goes with the flow and does not fight local laws forbidding overnight parking in their lot.

it is easy to perceive something that is not there. that does not make it law.

HDR, you really need to get out more often!

(I use the word 'pet' below, to show that I am referring to 'pets' and not service animals)

Many restaurants even allow pets, (pet dogs, mainly) on the outdoor patio if they have one. The Tyson Wells vendor area at Quartzsite is an example of a pet friendly place, a couple of food vendors even have tables marked as 'pet table' where pets are allowed 'inside'. 

Beer Bellies inside the Tyson Wells area allows pet dogs in the bar/patio area as long as they are on a leash, well behaved, and remain on the floor. Taco Mio on main street allows pets on the patio.

Not to mention places all over the USA like Pet Smart and little mom-n-pop businesses, local bars, RV/camping stores,
some hardware stores, etc. 

Big corporation box stores don't usually allow it because of the potential liability and the occasional 'kurfluffle' that can happen, or the mess that can be made by a pet that has to 'go'.

Understandable, of course.

And of course most government facilities, hospitals, schools, most of the time, NO pets. 

Any business where I might want to take my little dog, I always ask, and if the answer is no, I respect the policy.

Lots of things are "legal". It's easy to be a gadfly here in the states. When I see or hear a jerk, most times I recognize them(takes one to know one, lol). Most times I pity these people. For some reason, they value pride and ego over a sense of community and respect for others.

Yours Truly,
Self-Aware Gadfly\Asshole(I'm working on it...)

The subject of this thread is *Dog and laundromat*
Specifically, the OP wanted to know, "Are you taking your dog into the laundromat?"
And asked for suggestions.
The OP has found a solution.
This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.