Does an extended version affects your Stealth hability?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Free Range Chicken

Reaction score
HI all thanks for this wonderful forum. This is my first post ever here, and I am finally about to buy my next home in wheels :):)

I am a tall guy and will probably go for a cargo sprinter high top / Nissan NV high top. I'll be always in the city.

For the sprinter, there is a short version with 10' bed or an extended version with 14' cargo bed.

Since stealth is of utmost importance, my question is, does driving a long extended version affects your stealth ability?

Also, regarding parking, does an extended version affects your parking abilities? Is it very limiting when in the city? Are more parking spots in the city not prepared for an extended version?

No, it only limits where you can park.

I'm assuming that you're in the city now.

Look around at the other Sprinters. How many of them are longer ones and how many are shorter?? If you see one stopped somewhere, as the driver's opinion of what he/she likes and doesn't like about their rigs.

(I've always tried to learn from the 'experts')

Mmmmmmmmm......I'd love to get me a Sprinter!! :)

Welcome to the forum!!

Welcome to the club! Height and length of a vehicle does affect your choices for parking in a city. Obviously the lower the height and shorter the length means more parking choices available to you, but that has to be weighed against your need for living comfortably. Before you decide on a rig, check your city ordinance to see if they might have an aversion against parking "RV" type vehicles in certain neighborhoods. Where I'm located, there have been recent ordinances added that affect vehicles over 7' feet tall and over 22" inches long. City council is trying to avoid oversized vehicles from parking in various neighborhoods. Good luck to you.

For some reason the Nissans don't get very good MPG. The Sprinter will be MUCH better MPG.

I have an extended cargo van and I don't think it has any affect on stealth. It does make it harder to park and drive, but still no big deal.
Bob

Most cities I've been in, my 20 foot extended van is the maximum legal size for most parking spots, any longer and you'd go over the lines.

If you're needing stealth, window vans attract much less attention. Since parking in upper class neighborhoods is ill advised, older vans will blend in better too.

My van is almost invisible anywhere, that's what you want.

I tried stealth camping in the Berkeley California area and was able to do it with mixed success for about 18 months to a year. I happened to be in an extended Ford van, though has others have commented the length didn't factor heavily in whether or not I was noticed. What mattered most is how Vigilant the residents were and how savy the police are. Hyper vigilant citizens were a problem and to be frank, any Cop that's worth a damn will know the van is occupied. After a while anyone with an interest develops a sense and can pick up on vans that are occupied. I eventually parked in a light industrial area every night where the other van and RVers were. The Cops didn't mind to much provided there weren't any problems and the businesses were all closed after 5or 6 at night so they didn't care. Though periodically they'd sweep the area and chase us away for a week or two. Not to rain on anyone's parade, but this was my experience. If you do get rousted, be cool.

We have no problem finding parking for our maxi van in towns. Sometimes we have to walk from the outer reaches of a lot, but there's always somewhere to tuck it into.
Certainly easier than when we had the RV.

Stealth is the least of my concerns, but I do notice that we rarely get "eyeballed" it the window van no matter where we park.