Extended 2018 Chevy Express or 2013 Nissan NV 2500? Can't decide.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devin1992

Reaction score
https://www.kovamotors.com/vehicle-...an-title-van-d830c5e2e0a9ec46913c9f0da10093f7

https://www.elegantautosales.com/ve...igh-top-/-low-miles-beaverton-or-id-35048135#

There are the two listing. The prior is for a 2018 chevy express extended with 47k miles for around 17k USD. The latter is for a 2013 Nissan NV 2500 hightop with 85k miles for 16k USD. Both have clean titles and are 3 hours away from me. The chevy express seems like a much better deal obviously, but it is a low top. As a 6 foot tall person, I feel like living in a low-top fulll-time would eventually start to bother me, but I am not sure. The only reason that I am leaning towards the Nissan NV is because it is a hightop, but am I exaggerating the importance of that? I know that one can get a hightop installed on a express for around 4k, but a fiberglass top is not nearly as durable or waterproof as an original sheet metal high top would be. Consequently, I am leaning towards the Nissan pretty heavily, but the chevy express looks like such a great deal for the price.

It would just be me living in the vehicle full-time, maybe a dog as well. My budget for the van + build is 25k.

I definitely think I am going to buy one of these, after I pick one and get a vehicle inspection done. Would appreciate any words of wisdom from you veterans.

With the two of us, the high roof is essential-trying to get around each other bent over wouldn't work, especially since both of us have significant arthritis in our necks and backs. There's a lot to be said making coffee and food standing straight up, too.

Since we put the passenger seat on a swivel, the shorter cargo box feels much more spacious.

Two NVs (a 2500 and a 3500), 7 years and 80,000 miles between the both, not one problem.
Ted

I had a low top. I am 5'3". It got old real fast. I recommend the high top, especially if you intend to be full time.

Yeah the Nissan has the V-8 and towing mirrors, aux transmission cooler, etc.

Not to mention the high top.

Seems like a no brainer to me, but have someone (you or a mechanic or trusted friend) perform an inspection and also get a VIN number report...

it's just me but I would look for a promaster or transit if I were doing a van . they have a ton of them for sale most have 100.000 miles and probably a fleet van and probably maintained better than a individual owner.
I was looking hard at both and decided that eventually they would be to small to live it comfortably ?
they seam to be huge when they are empty but if you go in a converted one you will see you only have a place to lay down or stand up.
Now if you only really sleeping in it and work some where and the rest of the time your outside you maybe will be ok.
I went with a motorhome and after awhile it seams small you think you have a lot of storage space but not really.
I think most will agree they are not meant to be lived in but you can if you had to.
I have a 16ft converted cargo trailer and the longest I could stay in it was 10 days and after that I was glad to get home it has about the same square foot as a van.
so I know about using a portable toilet and having 20 gallons of water and running a generator 24 hours a day in the summer to stay cool and refilling the generator every 5 hours.
it is almost like a job just living day to day.

jwhite said:
it's just me but I would look for a promaster or transit if I were doing a van . they have a ton of them for sale most have 100.000 miles and probably a fleet van and probably maintained better than a individual owner.
I was looking hard at both and decided that eventually they would be to small to live it comfortably ?
they seam to be huge when they are empty but if you go in a converted one you will see you only have a place to lay down or stand up.
Now if you only really sleeping in it and work some where and the rest of the time your outside you maybe will be ok.
I went with a motorhome and after awhile it seams small you think you have a lot of storage space but not really.
I think most will agree they are not meant to be lived in but you can if you had to.
I have a 16ft converted cargo trailer and the longest I could stay in it was 10 days and after that I was glad to get home it has about the same square foot as a van.
so I know about using a portable toilet and having 20 gallons of water and running a generator 24 hours a day in the summer to stay cool and refilling the generator every 5 hours.
it is almost like a job just living day to day.
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Thanks, I [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]would like to get a transit, but the hightops are really hard to find for under 20k[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]. Promasters have a lot of mechanical issues compared to Nissans and Transits from what I have read. Bob on Cheap RV living has attested to that. The only thing I have been able to find within my budget are Nissan NV's for a hightop. I've lived out of a Honda Fit for half a year, so I doubt space will be an issue for me in a Nissan NV. Yeah living out of van is a labor, but for some it is totally worth the trade off for the freedom you receive.[/font]