Do any campgrounds not allow converted cargo trailers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Every Road Leads Home

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if there are any campgrounds out there that prohibit converted cargo trailers, school busses, etc?  Not that it would be a huge issue for me as I wouldn't want to be in those types of campgrounds very often, but just covering all my bases as I decide the best route to go.

Matt

Yes, some campgrounds will not allow converted cargo trailers, etc.

The reason is that whoever did the conversion might be incompetent and there could be a mishap with the plumbing or propane.

Concerns about these mishaps is also why some campgrounds will not allow older RVs - even if professionally manufactured.

Damian

Yes, but understand that that could only happen at private campgrounds, never at state or federal campgrounds.

Sometimes it's for the reasons Damien mentioned.  Sometimes it's just that some campgrounds are trying to cater to certain populations like wealthy retirees.  Sometimes campgrounds won't allow children or people under a certain age for those reasons.

You'll find lots of places to camp.

A lot of campgrounds have rules that state no this and/or no that. Frequently it's so they can say no to what they deem to be undesirable clientele. Keep you and your rig clean and most of the time it won't be a problem. RV resorts may be a different story.

If my rig isn't welcome, then neither am I, same goes for my dog. Of course I probably wouldn't want to stay at those places and pay their rates anyway. Reminds me of a guy who built a really nice semi based motorhome. If it was built by a manufacture it would have been a half million dollar rig. He was denied access to an RV park he wanted to stay at, because it was homebuilt, not manufacture built.

Let them have their exclusive rules. Same goes for neighborhoods with HOA's. These organizations make it really easy to avoid judgmental busybodies. 

Tom Waits illustrates:

[video=youtube]

I had rv parks in California tell me I couldn't bring my 1975 restored Airstream in to their park just because it was too OLD. Hey, it was 25 years younger than ME, so I guess I'll just take my business down the road!!

I will just be using my converted Transit for recreational camping. I tried to make a reservation for Memorial day weekend but had to agree to set up a tent next to my vehicle as I was told "it makes some people nervous to know people are just sleeping in their car" I don't understand that at all, but since this particular campground was right next to the bike path I want to be riding....ok I will set up a tent. The campground employees know I will not be sleeping in tit.

I've lived and/or worked in a lot of campgrounds and resorts over the years and have seen many who had an "equipment" trailer on sites with no problem . As Ackidge posted already , a tent or screen room is a good way to bend the "rules" and add some functionality as well...

I'll add a phrase that a friend's father used to tell him about girls....but it might apply here as well.

Some do and some don't.
Some will and some won't.
Ask 'em all................
No hard feelin's !

My family owned and operated a private campground for many years. The biggest reason that they do not allow older units is because they don't want to get stuck with them. People will show up, pay the nightly fee, and then abandon their old trailer there. It happens more than you'd think. It's not just for snobby clientele. My parents have turned away some people/trailers because they looked too trashed. It's really expensive to scrap a trailer!

If you have an older unit and it's still very nice, you can tell them that over the phone. My parents definitely let older units into the park when the people over the phone said, "it's completely renovated, it's a well-taken care of classic, it's not junk, it's beautiful, etc".

Never lie about the length of your trailer! If you really want to piss private campground employees off, show up with a 44' 5th wheel when you reserved a 30' site on a holiday weekend. There's a reason they asked you the length. We only had a few sites that could fit 40'+ units.

If you're staying in a vehicle and want to stay at a private campground, It's just easier to ask for a tent site. Double check that you can park ON your site, though. Some private parks will have separate parking a little ways off. You can also ask for tent sites with or without electric and/or water. If you really need to stay at a private camp and it's sold out, ask if there's room by the barn, pavalion, staff area or even the dump station. Make it clear that you don't care where you stay. Be pleasant. They might find room for you someplace. They'll definitely be more inclined to find room for you if you're paying cash ;)

Seems to me Bob said some kind of park wouldnt permit you to live from one working there as a host. All I van remembee

I guess in all my years of travel I was just never well funded enough to be rejected by a campground not matter what I was driving around. Meaning I did not go to expensive places. I have traveled across country with my friend who was pulling his cargo trailer behind his van. Never had any issues but we were staying at places outside of the cities in Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Oregon and Washington. we found the places we stayed on the allstays app. I don't think any of those places had RV restrictions and we certainly never bothered to look or ask and they did not ask us what we were driving other than the make and license plate number which is standard most everywhere.

But maybe if you are trying to get into an RV park close to a major tourist destination or large city you might run across people who have enough business they can choose to be choosy about who they let in.

I have seen some of the long term lease recreational camp sites require an RVIA certified unit. But that is a little different as the people who stay there tend to be using a lot of appliances and heaters, both propane and electric. It makes some sense in that type of domestic daily dwelling situation which is more along the lines of being a mobile home park than an RV park. Interestingly enough they did allow people to have a cargo trailer but not as their living quarters. But they could put up a tent if they wanted to. Rules are pretty funny things, sometimes easy to adapt sometimes not.

A lot of them won’t allow it. There are even more and more that won’t allow an RV over ten years old even. State, Federal, COE, etc is fine

I certainly allow them here!

A cargo trailer camper conversion alongside a Tab 400 this past weekend.

KIMG1430.JPG

Attachments

• KIMG1430.JPG
    KIMG1430.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 24