DMV cracking down on residency

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mothercoder

Reaction score
My plan was to establish residency in NV using my sister's address as my permanent address and JB Mailroom as my mailing address so my sister doesn't have to contend with my mail.  When I talked to Marianne at JB Mailroom, she said that the DMV will no longer allow her customers to use her address as a residential address, only as a mailing address.  

Now it turns out that I may not be able to use my sister's address (family squabbles - long story).  If I still wanted to establish residency in NV, could I do that by staying a month at an RV park?  Does that option still exist.  I'm thinking it should since they would have no way of knowing whether I'm staying there longer than a month.  

If that's too sketchy, then I may consider the option another member suggested of paying for a place at Coyote Howls and making AZ my state of residence.  I am none too worried about taxes.

I'd check to see what Nevada considers proof of residency. A lot of states require a bill or official mail with your new address. Will you be able to do that at an rv park?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

mattboyrd said:
I'd check to see what Nevada considers proof of residency. A lot of states require a bill or official mail with your new address. Will you be able to do that at an rv park?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

An RV park should be able to give you a receipt for the month you've paid for.

http://www.dmvnv.com/dlresidency.htm

Receipt for the rent or lease of a residence
Lease of a residence on which the applicant appears as the lessee
Record from a public utility for a service address
Bank or credit card statement
Employment check stub
Document from a state or federal court
Record, receipt or bill requesting payment...
....others listed

When my step daughter moved back to Tn. several years back, I put her on one of my bank accounts and put the water bill in her name so that she would have two pieces of mail with her name on it. That was the only way she could get the Tn driver's lic.

Yes, every discussion on this topic clearly shows that the ability to use a commercial maildrop service as your "official / residential" address is over or soon ending.

Sorry to hear your sister's no longer an option, but maybe better to find out in the planning stage and not when you're on the other side of the country.

Best IMO to actually travel to the state where you want to establish your official residence, and explore your options there.

The ideal of course would be a stable friend or trusted acquaintance to let you be a "virtual roommate" for a month or two while you get your identity established there.

But if you can't swing that, remember,

even full-on homeless people have the right to register to vote, get a library card, open bank accounts and yes get official ID

there are many ways to swing a cat but they'll vary from place to place.

Get out there and start getting to know people, ask around, even bureaucrats can be kind and helpful.

I remember that Bob addressed this when NV was making the change. Can't remember which video it was though, but I think with the change, it may not be a good choice. He also has a video on choosing to set up with Coyote Howls as an address.

Thing is, all states will need to go in the same direction of Real ID compliance, it's just a matter of time, may as well bite the bullet.

IMO the other more permanent and important factors should drive the actual choice of state, not just how easy it is to establish the official residence address.

Not something you want to mess around changing any more often than necessary.

John61CT said:
Thing is, all states will need to go in the same direction of Real ID compliance, it's just a matter of time

IIRC, all of the states have to be compliant by 2020.

South Dakota, Texas, and Florida are all ID compliant. The three have Escapees RV Club Mail Services. Many thousands of full time RVers use these services for all their vehicle needs.
Nevada is compliant. I would suspect it is a county specific or mail service specific problem. How does Bob keep his in Nevada?

Bob's youtube on the subject, beware it is about 45 minutes long though:

I think South Dakota still only requires a receipt for one night at an RV park to establish residency for your drivers license and vehicle registration.

It may have changed by now.

Thankfully, fences are mended and I will still be using my sister's address as my residential address and JB as mail service. Although I won't be leasing from her, she will sign an a Residency Affidavit stating I'm staying there without a rent or lease agreement. That can be used in lieu of a lease or receipt for rent. And my bank account will have my new address on it, as well. All is good. But I feel for people who don't have relatives or close friends to rely on for this.

> South Dakota, Texas, and Florida are all ID compliant. The three have Escapees RV Club Mail Services. Many thousands of full time RVers use these services for all their vehicle needs.

Are you saying that the "virtual address" provided by Escapees' for their mail forwarding service,

is accepted by DMV

as members' official / residential address

specifically for getting a Real ID compliant license?

Many states which **are** in compliance with the Real ID law

allow undocumented immigrants to get a non-compliant "driving-only" licence which can't be used as Federal ID,

but those states still require proof of identity and of your actual residence in the state.

John61CT said:
.........Are you saying that the "virtual address" provided by Escapees' for their mail forwarding service, is accepted by DMV  as members' official / residential address.............specifically for getting a Real ID compliant license?
 YES................I'm involved in getting my Real ID DMV in Florida........There are specific rules and regulations.....The DMV lady started with ""YOU PEOPLE............"".......... not very friendly as I stood there without a single useable document

FOR MY SITUATION:
I need an original certified birth certificate issued by N.Y. State (not a hospital)..........Which I don't have....but will pay a service to search for it

And a Social Security Card....I've always had the #.....lost the card in a river years ago....Spent 5 hrs waiting at SS office this week for 4 mins. work

AND to 'vette the new address I'll need to provide two official/business/governmental pieces of mail received/postmarked with the new Florida address .......there is a long list of exactly what is accepted.....(I changed address at the SocialSecurity office.....the new card will come thru the system.......My second will be my insurance agent......He knows all about my travels and will send me new insurance cards)......and the mail will have gone "thru the Escapee's" system to land in my hands

That "system" is I have a Florida address for Florida specific business......drivers license/registration.....insurance.....banking...social security AND another Texas address............The Texas address is the Official USPS PostOfficeRemailer.........anything that gets sent to the Fl address gets bulkmailed to Texas and finally remailed to me where ever I chose to tell them (General Delivery....Friends) via e-mail

Of course the address is the RV park with a PMB # or #

and because EscapeesMail can locate members to their last PO drop......And can "with permission" release this info to officals or anyone ?............It complies with the RealID standard as interpreteded by Florida

Florida will also put your RV Tag # as your address on your driver's license.............I thought that was funny

I’m in Nevada. I took a RV park month rent receipt to the DMV- then my new drivers license to the PO.

abnorm said:
That "system" is I have a Florida address for Florida specific business......drivers license/registration,etc. AND another Texas address..The Texas address is the Official USPS PostOfficeRemailer.....anything that gets sent to the Fl address gets bulkmailed to Texas and finally remailed to me where ever I chose to tell them (General Delivery....Friends) via e-mail

Who sends your mail from FL to Texas?

""Who sends your mail from FL to Texas?""

Employees of the Escapee's RV park in Florida............

I need these actual pieces of mail for my identity at the DMV......BUT......In the future I can also use their "scan and E-mail" service where the EscapeesMail will open and scan the contents of your mail and email the files to you.............you decide IF you need the actual documents (remailed) or just the information and the original mail shredded

You pay for the service(s) you desire............you pay for the postage (via deposit)........."membership has its privileges"

Aha, did not understand all that, but if the Escapees address is actually a real RV park, as well as the basis for the forwarding service, that now makes sense as to how it would work.

John61CT said:
Aha, did not understand all that, but if the Escapees address is actually a real RV park, as well as the basis for the forwarding service, that now makes sense as to how it would work.

This is how many mail services are getting around the "street address" requirement for the Real ID Act--they actually have a camper lot where they rent you a physical space. It not only serves as a legal street address, but you can actually go and park there for the winter if you want.

A listing that strives to be as complete as possible of this type would be very useful.