DMV cracking down on residency

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at Nevada's requirement for Real ID and it still says set yourself in a campground for 30 days, then bring the receipt along with your other ID if you want a Nevada Real ID driver's license. (Paraphrased.)

mothercoder said:
My plan was to establish residency in NV using my sister's address as my permanent address and JB Mailroom as my mailing address so my sister doesn't have to contend with my mail.  When I talked to Marianne at JB Mailroom, she said that the DMV will no longer allow her customers to use her address as a residential address, only as a mailing address.  

Now it turns out that I may not be able to use my sister's address (family squabbles - long story).  If I still wanted to establish residency in NV, could I do that by staying a month at an RV park?  Does that option still exist.  I'm thinking it should since they would have no way of knowing whether I'm staying there longer than a month.  

If that's too sketchy, then I may consider the option another member suggested of paying for a place at Coyote Howls and making AZ my state of residence.  I am none too worried about taxes.
I'm currently in Colorado and as a resident. However, I've lost a  lot of my medical benefits due to not knowing the HMO jurisdictions and plan to return to SD and make it my home base. I have a "controlable terminal illness" and because of that I am able to get agencies that help people who have this illness use their mail address as a home base address and it worked because I was living in my pick up for months and all important mail went there. The only thing they did not allow me is big shipments, like solar panels but hey, thats more important mail to keep up with than getting a solar panel from Amazon and the cool thing was that the agency would call me and let me know I had mail from such and such speciall Social Security and Medical.

ValerieP said:
I’m in Nevada. I took a RV park month rent receipt to the DMV- then my new drivers license to the PO.

This is what Bob said in a talk at the recent RTR about Pahrump. Pay for the one month and stay only one night if you don't want to stay longer. Or maybe not stay at all but just pay the $300/mo rental fee at the RV Park in Pahrump? I think he said that is what Carolyn finally did (Carolyn's RV Life).

Mods please edit if this is not desired to be public knowledge.

95Astro said:
If you are receiving social security, another thing to keep in mind when selecting a state of residence is whether the state taxes your benefits. Some do and some don't. 

THANK YOU!  I just found that both states I am I interested in moving to(NM and VT) both tax SS.  Looks like I'll be looking elsewhere.