DIY Teardrop Kit

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
I really have no use for a teardrop camper, but after watching this I kinda want to build one: 

Video: Teardrop Camper Kit by Chesapeake Light Craft

I was really impressed with the clear finish they managed to get over-top of the woven fiberglass mat...I had always thought that you'd end up with some texture on big flat panels like that.

phpThumb.php

phpThumb.php

I do like it, especially if it all come pre cut and measured, so I can't screw it up too bad :p

highdesertranger said:
that's really cool.  reasonably priced too.  highdesertranger

I didn't study the package options in depth, but that was my impression too...very fair price for a kit.

What would REALLY be skookum would be a 'teardrop' slide-in camper for a pickup truck. ..Willy.

Willy, that would solve , at least temporarily, a number of issues for me :D

In one of Loyd Khan's books - I think "Tiny houses on the move" there is a Toyota Tacoma with a homemade teardrop style camper on it. Of course you can't have the kitchen in the rear as that is where you enter/exit from.

I am curious if anyone can estimate what it would cost to have someone assemble that teardrop? I only lack two things or I would do it myself; ability and room to work on it. Other than that I am good.

Rob

A lot depends on how 'prefab' it is, if it's all already cut, and such, probably not much, but if it requires a lot of cutting and such, well, that changes things

Even when I was in good health I did not have the skillset or the patience to build something like that. It's a nice looking trailer.

Rob

Yeah, but that would also affect the cost to pay someone else to do it
Probably cheaper to buy a cargo trailer, anyway, I've seen 6x10s for less than $2200 at Texas Trailer Supply, and a 5x8 for 1595, 5x8 wouldn't have standing room, more like slouching room, but at least as roomy as that TD

I've never ventured to IKEA but from what I've heard you are correct.

Gunny said:
I am curious if anyone can estimate what it would cost to have someone assemble that teardrop? I only lack two things or I would do it myself; ability and room to work on it. Other than that I am good.

Rob

If your paying someone that knows what thier doing its going to cost a lot. The reason that thing looks so damn pretty is someone that has a lot of experience on the dumb end of a palm sander spent a lot of time sanding that thing to perfection.  Its would take you and the teenage kid your paying minimum wage to sand it three times as long to make it look half that good. And if the assembly isn't spot on its never going to look perfect. And if it doesn't look perfect it is going to be a fugly plywood box that a couple of yahoos slapped together and gobbed epoxy on.

http://kachemakskiffs.blogspot.com/2015/03/you-want-tolman-alaskan-skiff-well-you.html
Basically the same thing,  stitch and glue construction.
The smallest skiff has a $3000 difference between the 10 foot finish and a 25 foot finish. The feet measure how far away you have to be to not see the apprentice marks. I would want the 25' finish on my boat,  but on the trailer?  Its primary function is to look good. I wouldn't be happy with a ten foot finish on a trailer.  
Hank