FRUSTRATED-NEED ADVICE ON VAN BUYING

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all very very much for your replies. I will consider paying less and have close to 1/2 of what I have saved so I am not without a dime after. And I will look into flying into other States. Yeah, it would of really bummed me out if I spent all I have on just that one van and have to start all over again to save. Again, thank you very very much for your help.

Mario. 

PS If anyone knows anyone or anywhere that I can rent a very small commercial space to use as a recording music studio that would be great. I am willing to pay up to $500.00 for it but it has to be be able to use as a music rehearsal/recording studio. I would be sound reinforcing the room but I am sure there will be some sound leaking and if any other businesses are next to me they would have to deal with it. It can be any state or area and if I have to relocate then fine.

Sorry you're having such a frustrating time. Where do you live? Check craigslist in cheaper cities. Here in Phoenix, we get vans for saie all the time. Check out the short school busses for sale, too! Those are usually cheap, depending on where you find them. And I am always seeing mini-vans for 2-3 k here in Phoenix.

I know how you feel, though, I looked for a year before I found mine. It was a 2008 but it only had 7000 milies on it because it Wass an ex-surveillance van. I lucked out, but I had to pay more for the miles.

I just typed in "Dallas Craigslist vans $2000 to $5000 V8...
10 vans under $5K, 3 are raised roof conversion vans.

Easy-peasy search. Gotta' get there...

TWIH said:
Update Mario?
I had to buy a van our of emergency and though 'm not happy with it I'm in a tough bind and will hope for the best that it holds. I found a Ford e250, 112K miles, rebuilt transmission with a heavy duty upgrade, has two heavy duty hitches, a huge rack, some modified cabinetry inside, but its a little ugly and well... I paid $5300. Its not what  wanted! I wanted to get out of my apartment safely and with a nice van or RV but got a neighbor complaint and was given a 3day notice or leave so I freaked out and have nobody to help me in case I got kicked out, it was a horrible feeling so I tried to do the best in buying a van and it is what it is. I'm now heading over to Home Depot to see about installing a deck on the entire roof and my solar panels sometime. I'll also be moving in full time at the end of May. My Doctor gave me a letter of dissability for my plates due to my back so its not really easy for me to just get up and start building a deck. I might have to put a few items in storage, mostly music gear, I have very very little things so I can just pick up and get out of here. I've dried camped a few times already and the van is not white so it was interesting to see it disappear when the sun went down and everybody else in white vans stood out, funny! The stupid check light is constantly on and the ABS but I was told the ABS is tolerable and the check engine light has always been on according to the owner. It did pass smog though! The registration was a hefty 490 bucks but they will discount 80 once the doctors letter arrives. I'm going to dispute the high registration and see if my SSDI income will give me a break, I had no idea it was going to run that high California! I'd also like to remove the carpet and put a really nice one, reverse the passenger seat because it reclines and I can watch TV/Stream, I'm going to also see if I can get an apolstery guy to slice my memmory foam bed into three sections and sow the cover to make it fold into a twin seating. The cabinets are taking a lot of space to put a permanent full bed and its practical cabinetry done and would hate to tear it apart, its on both ends of the ban and run from the back to almost the front, a bit too many cabinets for me really. I'm really hoping that soon I can just start to save money because it took me almost a year to save and now I'm down to around 2K and it needs a few things so.... its hard! I think once I get my solar up, some entertainment, and eye a few places to park so I can think where my move will be. I don't want to wander and move constantly. If I can stay somewhere for weeks that would be great and the desert is probably very hot right now so... maybe down to Baja at a beach campground for a few months, not sure. I'm embarassed to post pictures also because its not a very pretty looking van, white is nice but every van I see is white and stands out. I will start a You Tube Channel though and see ifI can make some money that way because Id like to get a trailer and other life needs to live comfortable. I tried post an update yesterday and noticed your being censored here also, I got yelled at! Pretty lame if you ask me, there was nothing on my post to get censored but I guess its whoever is reading it that will consider it offensive or not! Whatever!

Yay! You got your rig. So cool that it has a few things started, you will add your touches to it to make it home for you. When you win the lottery you can always upgrade to that perfect rig. Lol. Have fun building.
-crofter

MrSabatini said:
there was nothing on my post to get censored

Probably politics.  I mod at a forum that's an offshoot of a Reddit sub and had to start a dedicated thread for anything political.   If we see anything political in any other thread, we shunt it over to the politics thread, even if it takes the post out of context.

The "registration" price they charged probably included 7.25% state sales tax, $384 + $107 vehicle registration. At least they can only charge the sales tax once.

Criminal. The state got there sales tax when the vehicle was originally purchased many years ago!

MrSabatini said:
The stupid check light is constantly on and the ABS but I was told the ABS is tolerable and the check engine light has always been on according to the owner. It did pass smog though!

It's unusual that it passed smog with the Check Engine light on, especially in Cali.

Was there a bribe involved?  :p

Yep according to the law that's impossible. If this actually happen that shop could loose their smog license. Also the seller not the buyer is responsible for the smog. Also the vehicle cannot be sold with the antilock light on, safety issue.

Also in California if you are given a three day notice you can stay in your apartment for 3 months minimum without paying rent. I see it all the time. In fact right now they can't even boot you after three months because of the pandemic.

Highdesertranger

I don't know what sources you are using for information, but I can attest to the reliability of the second generation 3.5 v6 Toyota engine and the tranny used in their light SUVs and vans. A Toyota Sienna from 2004-2010 should fit your price range and is among the least expensive vehicles to maintain. Particularly look for 2007 onward as that is when Toyota went to a timing chain, which does not need replacing every 100,000 miles.

Walt said:
A Toyota Sienna from 2004-2010 should fit your price range and is among the least expensive vehicles to maintain.

He eventually wants to be able to tow a loaded 16'-18' tandem-axle cargo trailer. Not sure a Sienna would be up to the task.

bullfrog said:
Consider looking on coolworks.com for a seasonal job with housing while you save more money in an area you would enjoy seeing.

I've found some great jobs through coolworks.  You get to live somewhere beautiful and on your days off can explore the surroundings in your van.  When there's lots of BLM/National Forest nearby, life is good!!

You can go to Autozone and find out what the problems are with the lights on. Free

". I'm embarassed to post pictures also because its not a very pretty looking"

You shouldn't feel embarrassed. We all have a variety of rigs and most aren't pristine and glamorous.

Everything is about how we make it. If somebody is passing judgments because of appearance then they aren't really the sort to put much into.

Folks on this forum are pretty friendly for the most part and are eager to help others make the most of a situation.

I promise if you post pictures of your rig you would only receive helpful friendly tips.

I had until recently a 91 gmc van. It could definitely use a new paint job. It was an older body style but I built it inside to be a comforting place to live..and I LOVED it and was thankful for it. You will also fall in love.

Even the "uglies" deserve love. Everything and everyone is beautiful in it's own way. The outmoded days of a checklist for beauty are no longer accepted.

Often the finest restaurants are tucked away in some shady, dilapidated corner.

I've found that my day is much more enjoyable when I focus on what I have instead of what I don't.

Wishing you the very best with your new home!

Great, I would love to have some competition for the most ugly rig! When I was a kid and went to town to watch parades my favorite group was the Shriner's "Hillbilly Brigade" and many of my cars were "rat rods" before anybody new what patina was. I guess I'll have to go knock a few more holes in mine and drive down some more narrow roads just to keep up! LOL!!! Welcome to the club!

Ugliest Rig Award, finally we all have something we can actually strive for! But seriously, looks mean nothing. I think this is a function over looks community. Personally, the more beat up, the better for me! Less chance of someone breaking in or stealing it. I usually throw on a few pieces of random duct tape to achieve such a look.

That’s what the Walmart rattle cans are for