FRUSTRATED-NEED ADVICE ON VAN BUYING

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSabatini

Reaction score
[size=large]Hi, [/size]
[size=large]I have been saving close to a year and nearing the $5500. I have searched and searched page after page on Craigslist for weeks and even months. Seems every fricking vehicle has an issue or another and the only vehicle I read with a dependable engine is the Toyota Sequoia but over $6000 the cheapest one. I've searched for RV's also and all under my price range look like Oscar the Ground trash can! My brain is about to explode watching You Tube videos about this engine and that engine and this model and that year or that generation this and that... I should be a mechanic by now! [/size]

[size=large]I'm aging very fast and very depressed in this Covid madness and in an apartment unable to play music (I'm a multi-instrumentalist) with a goal, to create music inside a future cargo trailer and this is the closest vehicle I have found within my price affordability and it says-----> 1995 Ford Club Wagon E-250 cargo van one owner 130,000 miles - $5,600. Its from an Indian Tribe and registered for smog proof valid in Arizona and California. I'm in San Diego. I hear many people say "stay away from Fords" but I can't afford much and this is all I have and not sure if this is a good engine and I figure if its a one owner and from an Indian Tribe then its surely been well maintained, add also days its very well cared for.[/size]

[size=large]I fear a lot because its been one hell of a year saving what I have and would feel horrible if it just died on me and the engine or transmission died as soon as I took off. Yes I am on a fixed income and would like to convert it slowly into a home and then buy at least a 16x7 cargo trailer with dual axels to convert into a music and video editing studio. I'd live in the van and have all my kitchen and bed in it. The trailer would be carrying tools including a small welding kit and other stuff to offer light services but I'm also getting old and fast and have lots of physical pain, back mostly. I want to get the fk out of this hell hole apartment and live my few years left in the open air of nature and meet good people, have a beer, or just get a telescope and watch the stars, maybe Art Bell can see me? [/size]

[size=large]NOTE: I would ASAP take it to Tijuana/Rosarito area where I know a shop that would add a leaf or two to life it a bit, put some All Terrain Tires, put a locking differential on the axle for dirt roads, and hold huge water containers and a large propane tank, once I save enough money to buy the cargo trailer it should be ready to tow it with an e250 engine right? Have no idea where to buy a high top for it either so I can at least stand on it. Any ideas where would help. I already have the Renogy 600watt Rover 40amp, Mono Panels, a 600watt pUre sin wave inverter, a propane 4burner stove, and the van is already gutted so the work is done and I can insulate it really well and modify to my taste. [/size]

[size=large]Anyhow, any advice on this van----> [size=large][size=large]1995 ford club wagon E-250 cargo van one owner 130,000 miles - $5,600---- would be of great help with engine issues and reliability. [/size][/size][/size]

[size=large][size=large][size=large]PS I am mostly wanting to use it to visit long term BLM land not interested in driving miles and miles to stay in one spot only to leave the next day or two., the longer I can stay the BETTER! I'm in NO hurry to leave anywhere. [/size][/size][/size]

Last edited by a moderator:
Try Cargurus.com in your area.
Or autotrader.com .
Craigslist is not the only game in town.

Welcome to the forum and let me say after looking for a year, vans are not cheap anymore. We all take a real chance when we buy one but we buy the best we can afford and life goes on. Will it break down on the road one day.... it's a machine and machine's do quit working for some reason. Just buy the best one you can find and afford and hope for the best.

I highly recommend a few thousand $$$$ in savings or a high limit credit card before venturing too far from home though.

I bought mine at a dealer featured in cargurus, they had a fleet of used cargo vans and I took my pick. Promaster 1500 low roof cargo van, so no need for the high top. 6x10 cabin build space.

You should be able to pick up a used mini van with your budget, don't forget to save the $3k emergency fund.

Here is one search on cargurus of a Toyota van. The model you specified above was higher in price.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...gHelper.selectedEntity=d308#listing=294277031

You fill out and send the email for information including vin & title, repair history, etc.
Good luck!   -crofter

The build quality on Ford's and especially Chrysler products now that Fiat owns it, is not the greatest. They really cut corners. Now them Toyotas and Hondas, they run forever! But if you want a vehicle built to last, an aluminum step van is where it's at. If only they came with Toyota drivetrains... Good luck on your search! Something will find you, you just gotta look!

hate to suggest another research project, but one alternative for cheap is to review the auctions that tow companies have when they take vehicles off the street on parking impound. Would need a good mechanic to back you up. Check with your local parking enforcement on how it works. Cheap buy plus cheap fix it might do it in your budget.

Consider looking on coolworks.com for a seasonal job with housing while you save more money in an area you would enjoy seeing.

Since you plan to eventually buy a cargo trailer you should consider buying a 3/4-ton pickup with a decent size camper shell. You could do a minimal build and live in that for a while until you had enough to buy the trailer.

Finding a pickup should be easier than finding a van but you will have the same problems choosing one for reliability,cost and all that.

"I figure if its a one owner and from an Indian Tribe then its surely been well maintained"

I wouldn't count on that.

It's hard to say anything about the van you are looking at, we don't have enough info. Post up the add so we can see.

Highdesertranger

That van has the EFI 351 V8 motor which is a good motor, but not overly efficient...you will probably average around 10 mpg when loaded.

I had a 95 F250 pickup truck with a heavy TommyLift on the back of it. This truck had 240,000 miles and still going strong, but was getting tired. I did tow our 30' travel trailer several times with it, which it did, but not real well due to being worn out. By itself, the truck would haul anything, and always started, and taught my daughter how to drive.

highdesertranger said:
"I figure if its a one owner and from an Indian Tribe then its surely been well maintained"

I wouldn't count on that.

It's hard to say anything about the van you are looking at,  we don't have enough info.  Post up the add so we can see.

Highdesertranger

Have it checked throughly by a mechanic especially the suspension as they tend to run a lot of rugged dirt roads generally.

I’m reluctant to add more information to your already-overwhelmed frustration but I found this breakdown between old generation vans very informative https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=16235

In my unworthy opinion I believe you should find a van under $3000 with your budget. I will explain:

Vandwellers and nomads are not a typical vehicle buyer.

We need to consider the whole vehicle and our goals. The vehicle will be a home and livability has to be an equal or greater priority than mechanical condition.

The majority of us do not have Instagram star budgets with the resources to buy a newer van and completely renovate the interior. In the 19 months I’ve owned my van, changes have been incremental and most of my van budget has been going to mechanical issues. It’s a ‘92 daily driver that needs TLC but the interior it came with is gorgeous. I’d like to retain as much of its character that I can as I slowly progress the interior conversion to a vardo.

Please consider 1/2 your savings or less to buy a daily driver that needs TLC. I found my van (1992 GMC/Explorer conversion) on Facebook Marketplace for $1300. My brother just got his 1992 Dodge conversion van for $1600 on Facebook Marketplace. Both have fabulous interiors and run reliably. Freeing yourself from rent and housing costs will increase your budget for other things. You can keep some of your savings for emergencies and put money into the vehicle as you go.

Good advice on having a backup maintenance fund. A few months after I bought my van, the engine blew up, needed a whole new engine. I got the van at a good deal, but with the engine failure, it turned out to not be such a great deal. I had a travel fund saved up, not quite an emergency maintenance fund, but that was all eaten up in a blink of an eye. The original engine ran top notch, felt like it was right out of the factory. But things happen, and we need to be somewhat prepared if not expecting these things. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Lorelei072 said:
In my unworthy opinion I believe you should find a van under $3000 with your budget.

Good advice. A rebuild on the transmission in that '95 Ford will cost you $2500-$3500.

crofter said:
I bought mine at a dealer featured in cargurus, they had a fleet of used cargo vans and I took my pick. Promaster 1500 low roof cargo van, so no need for the high top. 6x10 cabin build space.

I just looked through Cargurus for vans in my area and now my keyboard is full of drool.  Thanks.  lol

Vehicle shopping drives me crazy, too. So the way I go about it is to browse ads until I find something that I can afford at a fair price and MAY do the job (for me, that means can tow a fiberglass egg camper trailer and has 4wd and can act as a garage). Then I confirm the towing ability. Then I research known problems of that year make and model to determine if there are any dealbreakers. Then I want to talk to the owner about its history and maintenance.

My memory sucks, so I go through all of the above one vehicle at a time and don't even try to retain all of that info when I pass one by.

My youngest daughter tells me to ask the universe for what I want and need. And hokey as it sounds, it works. You tend to attract what you're focused on and detrmined to get-- as long as you're patient. Thats exactly how I came to be a tiny trailer nomad : )

Best of luck to you!

Lorelei072 said:
I’d like to retain as much of its character that I can as I slowly progress the interior conversion to vardo

PICS!!!

San Diego to Phoenix via Southwest airlines shows a fare sale starting at $29 (today).

Phoenix Craigslist cargo van ads: (current as of 3/2)

Feb 6 2007 Ford E350 Super Duty Cargo Van $4,658 (Tempe/Phoenix)
2007 Ford E350 Super Duty Cargo Van. new 5.4L V8 (25K miles old), 16V, 5-sp AT, AC, PS, PB, PWL, PDL. High consumer rated. Sliding side door. Double rear door with safety grilles. Tire like new. Good condition inside and out. Well maintained by professional local mechanic. All records available. Price for quick sale.

2006 Ford Econoline E-150 Superduty Van - $3,906 (Tempe/Phoenix)
condition: good
cylinders: 8 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 249582
paint color: white
title status: clean
2006 Ford Econoline E150 Super Duty Cargo Van. 4.6L V816V. High consumer rating. AT, AC, PS, PB. Good gas mileage - CITY/13 HWY/17. Sliding side door. Double doors rear. Well maintained by professional mechanic. All records available. Photo not shown due to company logos that will be removed upon sales. Priced for quick sale.

Houston CL:
Ford cargo van E-150 - $2,700
2006 Ford E-150
condition: good
cylinders: other
odometer: 250000
size: full-size
transmission: automatic
type: van
2006 Ford cargo van E-150
5.4 V-8
runs and drives good
Everything works
A/C blows cold
250k miles
good work van
Clear Texas title
Call or text More info cell
show contact info

FORD VAN E350 AUTO CLEAN - $5,500 (PEARLAND)
2008 ford e350 cargo van
condition: excellent
cylinders: 8 cylinders
odometer: 200000
2008 FORD E350 VAN AUTO VERY CLEAN RUNS DRIVES EXCELLENT WITH NO ISSUES COLD AC
E350=1 TON VAN SHORT WHEEL BASE WITH TRAILER HITCH IS A 10 PASSANGER HAS SEATS
REMOVED CARGO VAN 200K VAN IS READY TO WORK AND GO ANYWHERE VERY CLEAN
832 434 8720 V8 AUTO CLEAN CLEAR TX TITLE NO DAMAGE HISTORY

***This is just an idea for you. Do a CL search like I just did. Search at first within a long day or two's drive of San Diego. SW airlines has a fare sale now.

Don't try to find a van on the west coast, they are mostly all overpriced. You'd do much better flying to Texas, Oklahoma, Little Rock or Atlanta for a van. Yes you are in the wrong part of the country for cheap vans but a flight of a few hours takes you into cheaper vanland.