Future van/truck dweller

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaylajazzmin

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been watching tons of vanlife/camper life/nomad videos and have been so interested in it. I didn't think it was possible with kids but I've seen some builds where whole families traveled so that gave me some optimism. 

First of all, I'm a veteran and college switcher (lol) so I've lived a lot of places. I've been living in Ohio the past year because of financial constraints in the city/suburbs (philly/new jersey). I'm not very used to staying put. I also am a musician of 19 years so I always wanted to tour but never really could afford to.

Being a single mom, it's been tough on a fixed income with the may or may not get child support so I really love that this lifestyle can allow me to travel and save money. Me and my 5 and 7 year old already enjoy camping and stuff like that. We do the primitive version so this would be a major upgrade. 

I recently had to get rid of my old car since it would break down and therefore wasn't safe for my kids. Before kids I wouldn't have cared probably. I've been homeless, slept on random couches and even the college computer lab. Anyways, with some help from my aunt, I bought a 2019 Toyota tacoma off road in July. High payments, around my rent cost actually. More of you add insurance, but I didn't want to buy something that I would have to soon replace. 

With the help of youtube, and being a diy person anyway, I've been working on a fiberglass build for my truck. I have back problems as well as depression so its been rough sometimes finding the motivation but every time I watch more videos I get motivated again and start jotting stuff down that I want to do. My neighbors probably think I'm crazy at this point on top of my brand new truck but I have an end goal. 

I've watched so many cheap rv living videos that I figured I'd finally join the forum. I'm hoping I can meet some folks on here and get more advice. Hopefully even some motivation. Everyone keeps saying I should just buy a truck camper but I know exactly how I want it and I don't have thousands to just throw on even a used one.

I meant to add, I got a great deal on a 270w solar panel for $100 that the local solar place couldn't sell. Just a snag in the frame from getting it off the pallet. I bought a used 40amp mppt solar controller that I've tested. I've been making use of the local Habitat for humanity and got a nice little window with screen and some miscellaneous stuff for $10. I've also gotten wood there.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Kaylajazzmin! Keep working on it - a little every day or even every week and you'll get it finished. You need to pay off the truck and build up an emergency fund before thinking traveling so you'll have time to do the work. Take some breaks too and go camping with the kids. :)

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

I am so excited to hear you are on your way to a super life for you and your children - I was raised in a small home made trailer my father built - it was the best way to be raised - we traveled and I saw and experienced so much that other children never knew existed.  There were 2 of us 2 years apart - I am 81 now in great shape I am sure because of an active life, exciting and full life with no regrets for my childhood - you can home school now -wow what wonder awaits you and your children.  I will be on the road with you again in a few months - I like you am having to get a rig together - hope we can share a campfire - hot dogs whatever we have songs with your children and fun soon.  I am so excited for you.  RVBORN

Hi there!
We're in Ohio as well - Columbus, though.
We're also just in the planning stages with our build but we're committed and so excited to get out there.
Our plan is to use as much used/reclaimed/re-purposed material as possible, both to save money and be easier on the planet, but ALSO to give our build some character and personality, and make it our own. The new, pristine builds are pretty, but they seem so sterile and bland! Have you seen the video of the mobile tea house mini bus? That's the kind of feel I'm going for!

I ALSO suffer from back problems and depression, as well as crippling anxiety and panic attacks, so I haven't worked a regular job in some time. I just do what I can here and there to bring some money in. I understand about the motivation. Sometimes even getting out of bed seems like an insurmountable challenge. The videos really are helpful, though, aren't they? I can't remember the last time I was this excited and positive about something!

It seems like we have a lot in common. Please feel free to reach out if you want to!
I hope we get to run into one another on the road! :)
<3
Brandy

Ohio is well represented here!  :)  

When I was driving for Greyhound I picked up the Detroit route often, and it stopped in Findlay at that "truck stop" with the Subway.  I'm not sure I was ever in Findlay otherwise. Seems like one of countless Ohio towns that ya drive THROUGH instead of TO. The best kind, in other words.