DIY AC?? Do they work?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A swamp cooler also needs lots of water. If you are in a dry climate where it will work well, you can go through a number of gallons of water a day easy. I have a small portable one in my house. I run it more as a humidifier when I have the A/C on. It can use 6 gallons a day. A gasoline generator running an air conditioner will use maybe 2 gallons a day and it will do better than dropping the temp 10 degrees.

it's going to cost a small fortune in ice and it's going to pump a ton of humidity into the air. if those matter. highdesertranger

Short answer?

Yes, the concept absolutely works!

But........ it is a humid chill, not at all like an Air Conditioner which delivers a dry cool air.

As mentioned, it will devour ice too.

Think Maine Coast Winter Nor'Easter vs a Rocky Mountain blizzard of powdered snow.

Both cold and snowy but oh! What a different cold!

Dave

djkeev said:
Think Maine Coast Winter Nor'Easter vs a Rocky Mountain blizzard of powdered snow.

Both cold and snowy but oh! What a different cold!

One of those things you have to experience to believe.  I've got several friends thinking they were crazy when they moved to the Rockies thinking they'd get a worse winter.  They were pleasantly surprised.

I never tried the ice coolers (but I suspect, the ice wont last long on a hot day), but the plain water  swampcoolers do work. I've been using them in my van for the past 4 years. I build my own to test them out and see if they would actually work. You can find directions on the internet to build one, the burningman bucket design is the blueprint that people use in there designs.

I build one using the bucket design but it leaked water all over my van. I had to drain it everytime I moved the van. I also tested all the available evaporator pads, aspen/dura-cool/celdek. The aspen was messy to work with and imposible to cut to size, so it was a no-go, the dura-cool was easy to cut and inexpensive but it was not effective in cooling and it clogged up after 3 months of use and lost efficeincy. Celdek was what worked for me, it's thick cardboard easy to cut with a hacksaw and never loses effieciency, its suppose to last 5 years. I had swampcoolers going on 2 years using the same celdek. Swampy.net uses a special pad that soaks up the water and doesnt need a pump, but the pictures I seen look more sponge-like similar to the dura-cool,  so it will clogged up, in there website they state it will last for at least several hundred hours. Looking at pictures of the inside of a swampy, I would be hesitant to drive with one full of water. All the evaporator pads were thin, less than inch thick except for celdek which is 3 inches thick.

Using a large plastic tupperware will make a good swampcooler case, put a divider between the lower water section and upper fan/evaporater section, this prevents water from sloshing around even when the van is moving. I put a drainplug to drain water every once in a while to clean out, as far as fans I use the 120mm cooling fans, they are loud but they put out alot of air for the 1.5 amps they use, putting a 12 volt pwm speed controller, lets you throttle the speed up/down. I also used the bigger 10 inch car radiator electric fans (about 6 amps). My current swampcooler uses 2 x 120mm fans about 3 amps of power with both fans running.

On a hot day I might go through 4 liters of water, so the water use is not that bad. I've encountered some very hot humid days, and while the swampcooler lose alot of effieciency, it will still put out cool air. If I turned the water pump off on a hot day, the air coming in will be like being next to a heater. On the humid days I was glad I had a swampcooler instead of just a fan. I never needed more than one, but I do believe building a large swampcooler with maybe 2 large car radiator fans, might be very useful in a humid environment. Amp use will be many times lower than an AC.

The cool air coming out of that ice chest is actually a by-product of the fan blowing room temperature air to melt the ice.

And where did the ice come from? His freezer, and he (or someone) paid for the electricity that ran the compressor to freeze that ice.

The freezer exhausts the heat from freezing the water into the home, and then the home AC unit has to run a compressor to remove that heat to the air outside the home.

There is no free ride here.

But, the TRULY remarkable thing is that he got 8 million views...that's about $24,000 in ad revenue for that simple video...man I'm in the wrong line of work....

A friend and I tried it last year. We are in AZ and she only has a swamp cooler in her house. During monsoon season the swamp cooler is useless, and being at her house was kind of unbearable. I had seen one of these videos and had styrofoam coolers lying around from med deliveries...so we threw one together. Now something like this isn't going to cool the house obviously, but it will cool you. We set it up to blow on us and were quite comfortable hanging out in front of it. I imagine using a better cooler and a more powerful fan would work even better. It's best to use these things with frozen water bottles set inside the cooler rather than actual ice. Less messy, you have drinkable water once melted, and I would assume less water in the air.

Yes you have to have a way to freeze the bottles, but if the sun is powering your freezer for free- who cares? Bottom line, it works in a pinch. You have to decide if it's a viable long term solution for you.