Discord Live Chat Server?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VetOnWheels

Reaction score
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Is there any interest in having a Discord Server for nomads? It's a live chat program with text and video capabilities. It's always connected so you don't have to schedule meeting or login every time like other live chat services and it's pretty popular. Oh, and it's completely free.

I think it would be a great way to connect nomads worldwide at anytime of day especially with all this social distancing stuff going on.

sounds like a good idea but I am overloaded with moving from my small apartment to my van. Free sounds like my kind of price but someone must pay for it - advertising? tracking people ?? Keep the forum updated as I might what to get involved in a month or two.

I got curious about Discord a while back, because it is more well established than Zoom and I thought it would have fewer problems. So, I subscribed to the /r/Discord subreddit (on Reddit.com) to learn more about it. All the posts seem to be about how messed up the service is. And, lately, there seems to be a problem with malware in the software. 

I used to be anti-Zoom because of security issues, but they have hired a big-time security firm to fix their problems and Leo LaPorte seems to think they are doing OK now. Plus, you can dial in to a Zoom "call" with just your phone, so people will be able to talk even if they can't get LTE data where they are. And if they have limited data, a phone call won't use up their data.

So, at this point, I'm thinking that just climbing on the Zoom bandwagon is the best plan. Besides, all the other kids are doing it.  :p

Sounds good. I was just curious if there was an interest out there. I heard Zoom had malware issues, but I guess it's one of those things you have to do your own research on. Thanks for the feedback. I'm off to hit the books.

VetOnWheels said:
Sounds good. I was just curious if there was an interest out there. I heard Zoom had malware issues, but I guess it's one of those things you have to do your own research on. Thanks for the feedback. I'm off to hit the books.

I've been paying pretty close attention, and I've never seen malware issues mentioned for Zoom. Just privacy issues and possible vulnerabilities that weren't addressed. But it seems they are addressing them with a vengence now. They know that people won't let them get away with lazy security policies now and they don't want to fall off the cash cow they've found themselves on.

Last I heard, Skype didn't mask your IP address meaning people can find exactly where you are. Is this info incorrect or out of date?

And this would concern me because I am trying to hide from the people I am talking too?

Ahh, makes more sense. Since it was glitchy, others came along. It used to be good but has been quite awhile since I used it. Zoom it is I guess.

Did anyone create a discord group for RV/Boondocking? I'd be interested.

I've used Discord, but only for Chat.  I can't keep up with "Chat" with a lot of people on, and I never tried the Face to Face option.  I have used Zoom, it's pretty good, but my fave is Facebook Messenger face-chat with my sister because it has these goofy faces and fun options when we need a good laugh ;)  Skype works pretty good too.  I think all I use depends mostly on the internet connection, and or the apps themselves.  It would be neat to have some face-chats with Nomads though ;)

I use Viber. Skype, became too intrusive since Microsoft bought them. Now, if you don't install Microsoft's updates, they will not connect you.
Viber puts and ad at the bottom left of the screen, but that's all the inconvenience. They are based in Luxembourg.

If anyone wanted to set up a minimalist  "text only" that works well with Android and is FREE,   IRC may be worth considering.  It works well and has some 20 years of development behind it.

A fee bearing version, "MIRC" is a shareware for a one time payment of $20 dollars. 30 days to try it. Any updated versions are covered by this $20 dollar one time payment.

Just a thought.

Completely free. I think they make their money with a paid service where you can make custom emojis and badges, access to HD video and so on.If you want to research it a little: https://www.discord.com/
I have been using Discord for a few years.. It has support for vox chat as well as text...

I think that the VOX avenue is one to explore. We have a ton of text only resources, but few if any gathering places for vox..

@VetOnWheels did this ever get off the ground?

I can create and host a Discord.

My intent with TheFire dscord is for it to be used for voice chats amongst a group.. no video... like we are sitting around the fire.. for a lot of people, the whole headset/mic thing is new and strange.. bandwidth is still a big issue for many, but as bandwidth becomes less of an issue over the next few years , group voice chats will be easier to facilitate.

In the meantime,, jump onto the text chat on Tuesdays... if you remember to... ;)
\