disabilities

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dchris

Reaction score
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]D[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]oes anyone [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]h[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]ave any posts on camping with disabilities they[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] could recommend. I had a stroke a couple of months ago and was paralyzed on my right side - on my dominant side . No cognitive issues – just physical ones.  I'm interested in getting on the road and realized that I will need to be a van or camper of some type at this point. Some background on me is important I think for you to know. I've camped extensively all over the US. Probably close to 400 nights camping and another 300 nights on long-term backpacking trips so I’m not unfamiliar with being out in the wild. However, I can't use my right hand and so I'll be interested again if you have any sites you could point me to or videos you could point me to about adaptive equipment. The other thing is that normally I would build out a van myself. I built my house from the ground up every aspect of it from plumbing to electrical to carpentry, framing, sheetrock - all of it. Unfortunately with only one hand usable I can't do any of those things from a physical standpoint anymore. Hopefully that will change over time but for now I can't. I appreciate your reading through this and offering some direction on sites or videos to watch. Thanks.[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Dchris[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Dchris, <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } A:link { so-language: zxx } --> [/font]

This wonderful couple post here at times, and have given a presentation at least one RTR I recall.

https://rollinginarv-wheelchairtraveling.blogspot.com/

Here's a link to a lady who had a traumatic brain injury, been on road for years, quite an inspiration. She's writes/posts in more than one place but this will give you a start. She also presented at the RTR I mentioned above. https://www.debradickinson.com/

Here's another, and google will turn up more. Might also search other forums like Escapees.

“Saying Goodbye // What About RVing With a Disability? // RV Living Full Time”

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][/font]

<!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } A:link { so-language: zxx } -->
Dchris, here's one I forgot to mention, was from a thread on this forum begun last year for the then upcoming RTR, but at least can see reference to the differently abled group in RVillage which you might want to look into.... or message him about it.
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=38968&highlight=rollinginarv

Thanks for the nice comments Hoot!

Dchris - since every disability is unique my experiences may not be helpful for your situation but please feel free to ask me about anything either on the forums or by private message. I have noticed more people with disabilities on the road recently. We met a woman with cerebral palsy this spring who is traveling in a Ram Promaster that her family outfitted for her. She has extra handles installed to help her get into the back and step stools at the side door and by her bed which is kind of high to allow for storage underneath. She also has two walkers - one for hard surfaces and another with large wheels for using on rough surfaces outdoors. 

You may find some good suggestions on this facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/rvingwithdisabilities

I live with a disability, (paraplegic), that keeps me from doing some things, but with determination and a little luck I survive.
If you google handicapped vehicle accessories, you can likely find what you'll need and installers in your area to get back on the road.

Good luck to you, and try to keep a positive attitude no matter how bad you think life is going...

This man has no legs and travels the country: https://www.youtube.com/user/TwoFeetShorter/videos

I haven't followed him in a couple years ago so not sure what type of rig he is now using. But, when I did watch him, he had a lot of great videos of the adaptations he made to his teardrop travel trailer to make it work for him. Your situation is different but may give you some ideas.

I am disabled, in a wheelchair, although I will most likely not have to stay in it forever. Being in a vehicle is a breeze compared to a house with ... well stairs and obstacles. Negotiating treacherous driveways, gravel stairs, high stoves and unfriendly rugs can wear on a person. Once I get in any vehicle it's much more comfortable for me. I actually haven't driven the van I bought today yet, my first one, and it is really big so it might take me a minute to get used to it. Back on the challenges of being disabled, the every day activities of life are challenging no matter where I am, so I might as well be somewhere lovely.

You can probably qualify for a disabled national parks pass which might make the first trail trips easier to do as well. We have many disabled visitors pass through. One had no hands and used his feet like you would your good hand. You never know what you can do till you try.

You will need to pick your camping equipment carefully with one handed use in mind.

I had a broken wrist last fall and my arm muscles were also torn. So any movement of it was very painful. That meant I had to do most of my daily task one handed. It effects all kinds of things such as what clothes you wear, how you cook and prepare food, open doors. It makes your balance feel off.

So begin with the gear, the little stuff such as the right kind of can openers and tools that work for one handed use.
Cooking is a good place to begin adapting to one handed use and is an essential task as well.

You won't be completely disabled from all the task for a build. For instance you can sand and paint, and use a power nail gun. There are some tips for screw drivers that will steady the screw as you install it. Clamps become your best friend for instance by using a the clamps available for miter saws and an extended fence for the wood to rest on the wood will be held in place while you make a cut. Or of course using VHB tape where appropriate instead of trying to use screws or nails. Hot glue, super glue, instant grab construction adhesives will be another big help when doing task with one hand. Of course foot and knee pressure can also assist in work holding although that sometimes means using the floor for a work surface rather than standing at a work bench.

Non slip silicone mats are a huge help for holding materials in place on the table or countertop while you cut with a knife, sand things, stir things in a bowl or can. I would suggest you order some of those right away.

As with anything acquiring new skills draws from your and other people's well of previous experience and your problems solving for how to accomplish things with just one hand will follow that trend. There will be a learning curve, slow at first for adapting then as you do more and more things with one hand you will soon develop a whole arsenal of tricks you can rely on for how to do things with just one functioning arm and hand. Document your tips and tricks for the next one handed person who comes along because most of the handicap person RV advice relates to mobility issues for people in wheelchairs rather than doing things one handed after a stroke.

remember state parks have 'disability sites' which are super close to bathhouse, paved where other site are gravel for walking use, many have sewer available where other sites use the dump station, even if ya got a van or a small class B you wouldn't have to work tougher against your abilities. if they have them, use those facilities. So disability sites in ANY campground can be asked about for your conveniences ya need.

I love the disability sites at our local state parks we use a lot. But I so wanna book one but my morals say no, they are for those who require them :) and some require proof of that but some do not, anyone can book on open bookings, but they are a help for those in need. they do help and ask ask ask when ya call about all the disability sites that work for you all the time. Just a thought when booking sites and out and about :)