different home state than state driver's license

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogear52

Reaction score
I'm going on the road full time soon mainly in the Southwest and considering making S. Dakota my home state via a mailing service. Since I can get my vehicle registered there and renewal by mail, I'm hoping to avoid the trip up there to get a SD driver's license and continue using my MO DL since it's due for renewal soon. So my DL will be from one state and my resident/home state different. Anyone doing this....any problems?

I believe you need the drivers license to officially be a resident.

Poke around on the SD motor vehicle site and/or the Your Best Address site. The DMV regs don't specifically prohibit having an out-of-state DL. If you get stopped in some other state though, the LEO may question you a little more vigorously. VanTramp here on the forum has this setup and maybe he will chime in on the subject.

You can be a res without getting the SD license (that is what I did). I have the address and mail forwarding, but have yet to go to SD to get my license. My Colorado license is good for another 4 years so I am in no rush. I've known another that has done this for years without incident.

However, I do assume if you get pulled over you will be having to answer that extra question (not that you are obligated to actually answer his questions anyway, and that may be your best course of action) of why the two addresses. There is nothing that says that your PRIMARY address (what is shown on your license) has to be where you register your vehicles. Your SECONDARY address (SD address) can be a "vacation home" or "recreational property" and where you register certain vehicles. It is all perfectly legal.

Be aware, you do sign an affidavit with the state of SD stating that you do NOT have any other permanent address in any other state. In my case this is a bit of a gray area as my conceal carry permit is from Colorado and would automatically be forfeit if I am not longer a resident of Colorado. For now I still have my CO license and address... but I have a little more urgency to get up to SD and get my SD license (can get it on same day) and carry permit (must stay in state for 30 days). Alas, that will have to wait for next summer.

If you use Your Best Address (Larry is uber helpful to me) let them know that I referred you (I am box #936)
http://www.yourbestaddress.com

I stand corrected. Thank you Van Tramp. I have SD as my residency, can't remember why I got the driver licence, but everything is SD.

Probably the best thing to do anyway Vonbrown. I will follow suit when I can as well.

My mail service is located in Madison, SD as well as my insurance company. It's a nice little town with a state park nearby. Lake Herman State Park has nice camp spots, I paid 55 dollars for 9 days to camp there. I think I paid 25 dollars for my drivers licence. All in all it was very pleasant experience. This was about 2 years ago. I have been with family here in Upstate NY for the past year and have had no legal problems.

I have a Nevada DL and arizona license plates. Never been pulled over so I can't say how that will work.

If asked "Why" the answer is simple: My 1 ton van is rated commercial in NV and private in AZ. I save $300 a year in insurance and doing so is totally legal.

I don't foresee a problem.
Bob

I appreciate all the info, VanTramp. You got me thinking on the CCW issue now. I've been a MO resident my adult life and '04 got a carry permit from FL so I need to see if there's a problem changing state residency. FL has solid reciprocity with most states but not sure if it also applies to a non resident permit. I'll probably put off the SD license for a little while until I'm settled in with the new life style. I'll click the link and see what they offer and definitely let them know you referred me if I deal with them. Thanks.

Van-Tramp said:
You can be a res without getting the SD license (that is what I did). I have the address and mail forwarding, but have yet to go to SD to get my license. My Colorado license is good for another 4 years so I am in no rush. I've known another that has done this for years without incident.

However, I do assume if you get pulled over you will be having to answer that extra question (not that you are obligated to actually answer his questions anyway, and that may be your best course of action) of why the two addresses. There is nothing that says that your PRIMARY address (what is shown on your license) has to be where you register your vehicles. Your SECONDARY address (SD address) can be a "vacation home" or "recreational property" and where you register certain vehicles. It is all perfectly legal.

Be aware, you do sign an affidavit with the state of SD stating that you do NOT have any other permanent address in any other state. In my case this is a bit of a gray area as my conceal carry permit is from Colorado and would automatically be forfeit if I am not longer a resident of Colorado. For now I still have my CO license and address... but I have a little more urgency to get up to SD and get my SD license (can get it on same day) and carry permit (must stay in state for 30 days). Alas, that will have to wait for next summer.

If you use Your Best Address (Larry is uber helpful to me) let them know that I referred you (I am box #936)
http://www.yourbestaddress.com

Hey van tramp, question for you.
Are you familiar with Americas mail box in SD? A year or so ago, before I found crvl I looked into getting residency in another state and found AMB in SD. I didn't know there was others in that state I could choose from. Is any one better or worse than the other?
Thanks!

I checked in a guy the other day that had a cali license with a new jersey address written on it. I've never seen that before!

@luisafernandes - No, I've only had experience with Your Best Address and I was treated very well. I think Americas Mailbox wanted more $ to make it all happen then YBA. It isn't a cheap process no matter what and I didn't want to spend any more than I needed too. Even with YBA, I wrote a check for nearly $300 to get my address (paid for the entire year), the registration for my two cars, $25 in the bank for future postage, and the $26 per car paid to YBA to do it all for me.

Even then, it wasn't over. I needed to complete all the paperwork (Larry at YBA helped me line by line over the phone) with 2 copies of my passport, 4 copies of my license, 4 of my SSN card, and five notary stamps. It is a lot of work, but can all be knocked out in a single day, and will be worth it over the future years of not having to deal with emissions inspections or the DMV registration process.

BTW, I had to re-register both vehicles in July (the month of reg renew goes by the first letter in your last name, mine is "M") which I thought could be done over the Internet or Phone.... wrong! Without a SD driver's license number you can only re-reg via snail mail. Not a big deal, but plan for the added 3-4 weeks wait for your new tags. Another reason to get that SD license.

Van-Tramp, and I would need to stay in SD for a month right? But how would they know if you leave for a day, week or weeks?
For the next three years I still have an address but either way I might change it just because I won't have to go back to dmv every year and the no State income tax, which alone would pay for all my expenses going to SD.

As VanTramp says, it's completely legal for someone to have a principle residence in one state, a vacation home in a different state, and keep a locally registered vehicle in the vacation state.

On the other hand, years ago I knew a guy who lost his drivers license for drunk driving. Somehow - not sure how - he managed to get a drivers license from the state next door. While still living, working, and driving in the first state.

If you're stopped by the cops with mixed paperwork, expect to be put under the magnifying glass while they make sure that nothing shady is going on. Have a very good explanation, one that will stand up to scrutiny, cause it WILL be checked.

Regards
John

Luisafernandes said:
Van-Tramp, and I would need to stay in SD for a month right? But how would they know if you leave for a day, week or weeks?
For the next three years I still have an address but either way I might change it just because I won't have to go back to dmv every year and the no State income tax, which alone would pay for all my expenses going to SD.

It is my understanding that they check with the place you stay. Be it an RV park or a Hotel, they double check that you have stayed the month. Whether or not that is true I do not yet know. I figure I should be fine to take some multi-day road trips during that month though, but expect to be paying for a physical location for the full 30 days.

If you're stopped by the cops with mixed paperwork, expect to be put under the magnifying glass while they make sure that nothing shady is going on. Have a very good explanation, one that will stand up to scrutiny, cause it WILL be checked.

As I have said before, you are NOT obligated to answer any questions from the officer. The less you say in this matter the better. Yes they may have suspicions, but it is still 100% legal and NOTHING they can do about it. If they ask, your best answer may either be silence or "because it is legal". Any further explanation may end up getting you in further trouble...

For example, if I go ahead and explain my situation, I will be admitting to either lying on the affidavit to the state of SD, making my vehicle registration invalid... or I am admitting that I no longer reside in Colorado, making my CCW invalid (and possible jail time depending on what state I am in).

Hey VT, do you get a prize or something for referrals? I've used YBA for a couple of months now but didn't mention your recommendation here on CRVL.

Luisafernandes said:

I believe the one month stay is regarding getting a SD CCW permit. Vehicle registration/driver's license requires 1 night stay in a motel or campground and receipt verifying the stay.

slow2day said:
Hey VT, do you get a prize or something for referrals? I've used YBA for a couple of months now but didn't mention your recommendation here on CRVL.

I believe I get 1 month free for each referral. I'm not overly concerned about it though

When I lived near Lake Chapala, a popular expat area, in Mexico, there were amazing numbers of SD-plated cars. Took me a while to figure it out. Later heard that most of them were from the same county, where the daughter of one of the Lake Chapala expats worked in the office that processed the applications.