Depression?If you cant get out there yet, get out there. And feel great

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Living in acheap apartment is ok if there are some good bars near.

Orange don't put your address out on the forum or anywhere. not a good idea :) :)

Any change of scenery for me is a big change that shifts my whole being.
Out of the duldrums and into some new action for the senses! Water baby here, always was, always will be. I must be around water when out and about, maybe a reason I have a pool in my backyard also LOL When we sell it all in a few years and move my life will be centered around water life when out and about. a must for us.

I think they put the address to where they used to live and only stated they lived in TN now. Not that it's protective in an online world.

I have persistent depressive disorder. I believed that getting outdoors would make me feel better. It does temporarily but then the depression comes right back. It's been a huge struggle for me to do this but as of now I don't have any other choice. Strangely enough, fall and winter are my favorite times of year. Other than gardening I hate spring and all it's depressing rain and I tolerate summer. Love the sun, hate the high temps. Sunny, crisp fall days, nice fire in the wood stove and some hot cocoa or tea, that's the cats meow for me. I'm at my most peaceful and content frame of mind at those times.

KY is out. Can't do the humidity. I'm having a hard enough time here with an average of 75% humidity, just without the heat. I almost couldn't tolerate it in New England but at least it didn't last long. LOVED the fall and winters in MA. If I could swing it I'd move back there. Not MA and it's insanely expensive car insurance but at least everything else was cheaper than here in WA state.

Forgot to add that anything "based on income" is out as well. Most places now go by federal guidelines which means they consider me well above the average poor person since they moved the poverty lines a few years back. I have the income equivalent of a middle class person in 1973 and yet somehow I make too much money. I not longer qualify for food stamps, no more energy assistance and by the time I pay rent and utilities at least half my income is gone. This puts me living in financial crisis once again even worse than how I live now which makes my depression even worse. No thanks. Unless I can buy some cheap hovel, fix it up, sell it and buy the lake side 4 season property I dream of, I gave up. I'm depressed enough now.

This was a timely refresher because I was just talking with a loved one experiencing depression.

I wholeheartedly agree with getting out there.........at least some.

Being out in the sunlight each day will ramp up your Vitamin D.  (if only 20 minutes and the morning sunlight is probably best)

I try to keep up my dietary chromium intake as it influences insulin and that to your energy levels.  The older you get the more chromium you need in your diet to keep up your stamina.  I take a couple of brewers yeast tablets as it is an inexpensive source. (vegetables, parsley, seeds & nuts, meat & poultry, milk and dairy, whole grains, apples, bananas, and grape juice are all good sources of chromium....but Broccoli, Turkey Ham, and Grape Juice are 3 of the best)

But beyond that the sights, sounds, smells, even the negative ions I've seen mentioned will all contribute to an elevated consciousness and have you feeling better. 

Of course this forum is about cheap rv living, but even if you don't have a rig together yet you can still get outside and walk.  Ride a bus to a city park if you don't have a car.  If you only have a car....you could work out of the back seat and trunk and visit a state  or national park somewhere for a weekend.  Being near a body of water is especially nice.  

Doing this can offer a new perspective that will have a positive impact on one's mind, body, and spirit.

also one has to realize in truth the entire human race is darn near so unconnected to real nature and the natural order that an individual now must find it personally for themselves. A single entity trying to find the real natural lifestyle. It is hard to do. But we can if we search a bit and go back to basics and start there and add the extras in life that suit us as needed and stop there, don't go further down the rat race rabbit hole :) most of us are stilling climbing out of it LOL

Loved what he saud about writing!
Remided me of '2 AM" by Anna Nalik:

..."2 am and I'm still awake writing this song;
If I get it all down on paper, it's no longer inside if me, threatening the life it belogs to."

As a middle of the city child, I always hung out in the hugely overgrown shrubs on a vacant sloped lot next door.

I've always situated myself as much like Snow White as I could!! Lol.

Only problem is I'm so comfortable where I AM..... All my 'ruminating' is about van life or not! :)

Lake side four season property sounds great. Where is your dream place Headache?

If I have any remnants of depression, it is during the Winter season, commonly referred to as SADS. During the time period from mid December to mid March, I am able to function, but usually have a bad attitude, and short temper. In NW Ohio, it is weeks on end of no sunshine, 20+ mph winds, and freezing temps, with slippery conditions not conducive for "getting out there". I refuse to take vacation this time of the year in order to save it for the Summer/Fall when I can get things accomplished around the farm without my fingers becoming numb in 10 minutes.

I revel in Summertime 90* days when I can wear just a pair of shorts in the pool, and finally be comfortable (I haven't slept in the air conditioning all Summer so far)...definately cold blooded.

Fall is by far, my favorite time of the year when harvest festivals are going on, a crisp clear, sunny day in the high 60s is great for cutting firewood, or going to a football game.

It seems lately that Spring is all about rain/mud on our farm, but still better than Winter.