dehumidifier

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain

Reaction score
Does anybody know about the little dehumidifier for RV? I know humidity is more a problem on the east coast than out west.

I have a small Eva-Dry I'm using in Seattle. It's about 9 inches high and 5 wide. It helps

Looks like the EVA dry 1100 is the most popular. Anybody have success or disappointment with it?

I'm using the Eva-Dry 1100. It takes moisture out of the air and it's about as big as I would want. I guess it's better than nothing

I've noticed this Eva-Dry seems to be a 120 VAC powered device, however it is using an adapter (wall-wart). Can anyone tell me what the adapter output is? I guess what I am trying to find out is if it can be powered directly from the RV 12 VDC system?

EvaDry 1100 wallwart is 9VDC, 2.5A. I suspect you would burn it up if plugging directly into 12VDC, but that's just a guess.

Yeah, I just didn't know if they thought ahead to make it 12 VDC so it could be used in an auto / RV. 9 VDC definitely won't be safe to power from the 12 VDC connection.

I have a similar dehumidifier (Ivation) that says 9v on the adapter, too.  But the company offered a 12v ciggy plug for it, so I emailed asking if the plug was passing 12v or 9v.  They said 12v, so I've been running mine on 12v for a few months with no ill effects.

It's peltier on the inside, so I recommend running it as an opportunity load.

Looking up Ivation dehumidifiers, the smaller unit comes with a 9V wallwart but the next larger unit has 12V power. Unfortunately, wattage goes from 22W to 72W, so the latter would draw 6A @ 12V, or 48AH overnight.
https://www.amazon.com/Ivation-IVADM10-Small-Size-Thermo-Electric-Dehumidifier/dp/B00MQ7T038
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GZ5BSBY

As Frater says, it may be doable to run the 9V unit at 12V, but my concern was possible overheating, since power draw goes up as the square of voltage, at least for a basic resistor. I "surmise" a thermoelectric element may act similar. Therefore, you would have 12^2/9^2 = 1.78X the heat dissipation, almost double.

Excellent points. In this case the manufacturer was the one that said 12v for the 9v unit was ok. <shrug> They could be wrong, but they are the ones fulfilling the warranty.

This type of unit has a fan pulling air in and across the hot side. I don't know if that makes a difference.

The fan is extremely important with thermoelectric coolers. Their efficiency is directly proportional to the temperature "difference" between the 2 sides. The fan blows the heat away. If the heat stays there, then the entire element will heat up and efficiency goes to pot.