Looking to get a hightop installed.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan

Reaction score
I've got a 2002 Chevy express 2500 and I really would like a hightop. My problem is I don't know where I can get that done.
I have seen Bob wells talk about one place in the US that are reputable but that's in CA and I'm in the middle of NC. The drive to me isn't worth it tbh. So is there a reputable place on the east coast that yall know of that I could get that hightop put on?

Thanks,
Bryan

We occasionally hear stories of a van owner who 'saves money' by having this done by a 'local' shop that then manages to mess things up. Leaks, cracks, rattles, noises, etc,

I'm not saying that will happen if you choose to use another source, but it MIGHT happen.

For such a major upgrade, you might want to reconsider and give Fiberine a call. Yes it wont be cheap. But it will be done right the first time.

Fiberine (home)

Fiberine (24 inch tops)

Last edited:
I've got a 2002 Chevy express 2500 and I really would like a hightop. My problem is I don't know where I can get that done.
I have seen Bob wells talk about one place in the US that are reputable but that's in CA and I'm in the middle of NC. The drive to me isn't worth it tbh. So is there a reputable place on the east coast that yall know of that I could get that hightop put on?

Thanks,
Bryan
Are you decent at building things?

@rruff
I'm a cabinet builder by trade and I can do basic carpentry and wood working. In general I'm fairly handy. I've thought about doing something on my own but whenever I do something new like this on my own it's usually with limited success. Things I can usually fix or workaround but there's always the ,"I could do better next time."

Why do you ask?

Bryan

If I wanted a high top, I'd take a long vacation to CA and have Fiberine do the work. You usually get what you pay for in the long run.

I'm a cabinet builder by trade and I can do basic carpentry and wood working.

(y) You have the skills then, I think.

Just use plywood. The tricky part is making the bottom edge match the roof. Use straightedges to measure how the roof curve deviates from flat in the spots where you want the interface to be (definitely inside the rails), and then try it out with the cheap 1/8 ply from the hardware store until you get a good fit... may take a couple iterations. Marine ply would be best for the final structure, but good exterior ply would be fine two.

It doesn't need to fit that great, but it would look better if it did.
For a seal I'd recommend the garage door seals that are foam rubber, like this: https://www.garagedoorstuff.com/product/garage-door-weather-seal-wood-doors/ That would bridge a pretty huge gap even.
Seal the exterior with light fiberglass cloth and epoxy, then paint it.

Here is a quick build of a boat out of 2 sheets of ply. A topper is similar.

If it sounds like something you wouldn't mind tackling then we can discuss details.

Build the boat to do dual purpose! Use a simple snap on cover when in the boat on the water. Trailer hitch receiver with a single person roof top loader for the inverted boat after removing and storing the snap on cover. Used to be a commercially made one for VW buses.

I've got a 2002 Chevy express 2500 and I really would like a hightop. I'm in the middle of NC. The drive to me isn't worth it tbh. So is there a reputable place on the east coast that yall know of that I could get that hightop put on?

Thanks,
Bryan
I goggled NC companies to install high top on van and got alot of hits. Key is you need to find an NC high performance truck/van company that can easily do this and they are here for sure. I live in NC. We had a great company we bought our cattle/horse trailers from that also did 'extra work' which is not side work, but their company biz on top of farm trailers, equip they sold. They also changed vans/trucks into camper versions and more. You just are not looking hard enough to find that company, there are many in NC to do this work acceptable to you for sure. So google what I said and start making alot of phone calls, with other's knowledge you can easily hit someone who knows who does the work you require. best of luck.

Thanks,
Bryan
Somewhat closer than Calif., tho' still definitely out West, is Wasatch Overland in West Valley City, UT. They're authorized installers of Tufport Fiberglass High-Tops from Canada.

Marine plywood is AC Ext Fir plywood with no voids in the plys. If you use Luan make sure it's EXT grade as most box stores sell int to make a few cents more. I'd look at doing the pop up tops like VWs have & cover EXT Luan with fiberglass.

One thing that should be kept in mind before taking a saw to the roof of any van:

The roof is part of the van's body structure. Those metal roof bows (the metal struts under the roof skin) that the factory welded in place are not just for looks.

If the roof is cut away then the remaining walls need to be reinforced during and after the installation of the new cap. Fiberine caps include structural components within the fiberglass top.

At the very least, the OP should do a LOT of research on the subject, and one should be very cautious with this type of DIY modification to the safety features and structure of the van.

If the van was hit broadside by another vehicle or laid over, the last thing you want is for the (now flimsy) sides to cave in. Imagine the insurance company looking over the damage, and then having to place blame somewhere. Ooops.

I would let the pros tackle this one.

If the roof is cut away then the remaining walls need to be reinforced during and after the installation of the new cap. Fiberine caps include structural components within the fiberglass top.
What structural components are you thinking of? They surely don't reinforce the existing walls of your van? I've seen some interior pics and they look like single wall chopped FG. They advertise "ceiling reinforcement" using OSB (at extra cost) that allows you to mount 350 lbs on the roof (which isn't much). They also charge extra for bonding some 1x4 strips on the sides for hard points, which would indicate that there aren't any hard points otherwise. I'm going to say it's pretty damn weak. FG is pretty strong (though chopped fiber is the weakest), but the stiffness/weight is much less than metals and even worse than wood.

They look nice, but for ~$7k installed... :unsure:

Various materials and DIY solutions have been talked about in this thread, and as I mentioned the OP should do their homework and not cut off the roof of the van until they have a thorough understanding of the project.

The Fiberine tops, last time I checked, include ribs that help to stiffen the structure, and their process also involves leaving some of the roof in place at each end and on the sides to help maintain the integrity of the van's original body.

And at the core of the issue is what will happen IF the van is hit broadside or is knocked over in an accident.

I would not trust some plywood sheets and a few 1x2 stringers up top to stay together, but the reinforced fiberglass shell probably will. If there are any leaks that develop, the plywood and stringers could begin to rot or mildew in short order.

And who knows, I could be wrong. But I'm not the one riding in the vehicle, the OP is, and that is why they should investigate all the options, and not dismiss the pros on the west coast (or anywhere else) just because they are far away. This is an important decision, and should not be based simply on who is nearby with a skillsaw and a screwdriver.

Last edited:
I would not trust some plywood sheets and a few 1x2 stringers up top to stay together, but the reinforced fiberglass shell probably will. If there are any leaks that develop, the plywood and stringers could begin to rot or mildew in short order.
The Fiberine shell doesn't come with reinforcements standard. If you do order them, they are embedded longitudinal wooden boards... they don't provide any lateral stability or strength. For the scenario you are concerned about, I'm sure a DIY using quality plywood could be made stronger, stiffer and lighter. Still won't be as strong as the original roof, though...

Regarding leaks and mildew, Fiberine's reinforcements are more likely to have issues because the wood is encapsulated and can't dry out.

Last edited:
If you want to learn the best methods for increasing the strength of a fiberglass high top then look not to the Van build community but to the fiberglass boat builders who do those tasks daily such as adding reinforcing stringers to stiffen the decks and hulls. Fortunately there is an online booklet you can download that illustrates and explains exactly how to create and install those stiffening stringers. See chapter 3. The booklet is from the makers of West Systems Epoxy. Of course you do not have to use that product, the important thing is to lean how to create and install the reinforcing components.
Here is the link to that booklet.
https://www.westsystem.com/wp-content/uploads/Fiberglass-Manual-2015.pdfEven if you never put on a high top roof it is interesting to know how to create fiberglass structural components and also to have the knowledge of the techniques to share in this community.

Huh... I've got the same year van. I too have been thinking about it, but I dont have "Fiberine money" laying around. I can however build, remodel, alter, and finish such projects successfully.

My plan ? It's a van in which there is no shortage of in scrap yards. I've seen a few fiberglass tops in yards in my area. I'd get a price on having the yard cut the entire van roof off 6" below the top or gutter rails (be aware that there were changes to the gutter rails on this van in early years, so not all tops will fit right).

Once on a trailer and in my back yard, I'd disassemble / separate and rig for transfer. I wouldn't want the scrap yard to attempt the separation as they will probably damage the glass, carelessly prying things loose.

I used to do van interiors, and all I recall as "reinforcement" was tubing welded in across the top at each end of the opening. The rest is just bonded/glued and screwed/riveted to the existing sheet metal with a trim strip over the screw line.

I'm not sure I would even cut the opening the entire way possible.... leaving some extra on each end could give me storage above the original roof line and under the glass shell and obviously increase strength.

Not sure I'll even do it, but I dont feel it is that big of a project for me. Getting it lifted and in place would probably be my biggest challenge.