Fiberglass hightop

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allstar

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm getting a fiberglass bubble top put on my Chevy Express. I was asked where I would like the sliding windows placed? I said center because I don't know enough to have a preference. I will be having a fan installed too. 

Is there any advice as to where (forward, center or rear) the windows should be placed.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Where will you put your bed?

If behind the DS seat, when you get up in the AM you can look out a window placed wherever you would be standing.

If bed placed across the rear of the van, then placement would be different.

OK thank you, that helps. I will probably put the bed in the back like most vans. Putting the window where I'll be standing the most makes sense.

You are under 5'-10" or so?

Also, welcome to the forum!

highdesertranger said:
Welcome.

I would put them in the center.  Who is installing the high top?

Highdesertranger

Fiberine will be installing the 24" high top with 12 X 44 inch side windows.

I would have them put more caulk  at thit little ridge that runs the plinth of the middle  ot the top. They did mine  and I had to take them out and reseal  them . The rubber seals  on the windows is not large enough to seal  over that little lip on the top. After I had mine done and it leaked let him know but that was 8 years ago. Other than that I was very happy it was the best thing I did to my van. I put my windows in the middle because that is were I spend most of my time when standing  up.

Stating this as an opinion only.

Wouldn't it be better to have your floor plan and everything laid out to suit you first and then (even later) have the windows installed.  (once you are satisfied with your build)   In this manner the windows can be installed to the best advantage & size of your layout design.  This rather than to have to compromise on your layout in order to build around where the windows are placed.

Since you have the great benefit of building "new" rather than building "around" as with a used rig with windows already in place.

Just saying.

Hello All,

I'm getting a fiberglass bubble top put on my Chevy Express. I was asked where I would like the sliding windows placed? I said center because I don't know enough to have a preference. I will be having a fan installed too.

Is there any advice as to where (forward, center or rear) the windows should be placed.
I was wondering the same thing, as I will be getting a high top installed in May. I originally asked for the windows to be installed at the rear, making for better air circulation. However, I finally chose the centre position as I will can better utilize the back portion of the high top ledge for a storage compartment.

Stating this as an opinion only.

Wouldn't it be better to have your floor plan and everything laid out to suit you first and then (even later) have the windows installed. (once you are satisfied with your build) In this manner the windows can be installed to the best advantage & size of your layout design. This rather than to have to compromise on your layout in order to build around where the windows are placed.

Since you have the great benefit of building "new" rather than building "around" as with a used rig with windows already in place.

Just saying.
Excellent links for a Van Conversion... Thank you!

Latest posts