Dear Photobucket, Rot in Hell

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'll probably just have my build thread locked and start a new one

i use online sites because i dont trust computers to stay alive so i keep my laptop clean,ccleaner,malware bytes and 1 video game is all thats on it
my good photos are actual photos or on disk,the online stuff i dont care about and are for posting on forums

They want 6$ a month.

NO sale.

I viewed their site only as a place for hosting photos for 3rd party hosting.

Their ad revenue will collapse.

The site would freeze my computer if I had ad block turned off.  I've been really irritated with their site for a long time and NO way would I ever pay for such bad service.

The way I see this move is that they are holding my photos for ransom. Photos they have compressed, altered and tried to sell anyway.

I expect other similar sites will follow. I guess my days of posting pics online are over. 

probably a good thing

i think the other free sites will watch photobucket die and not follow

Gary68 said:
i'll probably just have my build thread locked and start a new one

i use online sites because i dont trust computers to stay alive so i keep my laptop clean,ccleaner,malware bytes and 1 video game is all thats on it
my good photos are actual photos or on disk,the online stuff i dont care about and are for posting on forums

I have had hard drives quit for no reason, idiots out there that try to crash your system just for fun, etc. This is why I use a paid hosting service.
Never tried PB, nor will I now. if you need to store photos somewhere safe, I recommend burning them as large as you can to archival quality DVD's. Even those can go bad though. :shy: 
 As an aside, did you know that old film has been found to be still good after being found in attics decades after being shot?
And just for fun, this site has some of the oldest video's recorded.
http://mentalfloss.com/article/52585/17-world’s-oldest-films-captured-thomas-edison

I have used SmugMug in the past and if I pay that is who I will use again. You can get unlimited uploads and storage of photos and share to forums, blogs, by email, etc. $3.99 mo. billed annually or $5.99 monthly. That is for Basic plan. Looks like $399.00 yearly at PB for that. 14 day free trial. I get nothing for anyone that signs up for a plan at SM.

Photobucket did go to the trouble to find an old account I had and helped me recover irreplaceable pictures that I stupidly did not back up, so for that I am thankful, but my visit was bombarded by so many ads blocking the recovery pictures it took almost an hour to get them. I thanked their support team, but won't ever use them again.

Photobucket has been garbage for years now.

I am not familiar with using a hosting site for photos. I feel like maybe i just crawled out from under a rock and missed something that turned to $h!t. I feel bad for those having issues like losing pics.

Some mention the need for a host site for posting pics to blogs and forums. I have, in my limited number of posts (few hundred) always posted from my phone using Tapatalk. My tiny house on wheels build thread over on TNTTT was done this way along with entries here. Am i lucky or just naive?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Sabatical said:
I am not familiar with using a hosting site for photos.

Some forums limit the size, or number, of image uploads, or because of server rental fees, ask members to use external hosting sites. for large images.

10 or 20 years ago this was common, but today its less common.

For time and data savings, I just upload pics that are under 1mb, and usually they are under 200k.

Maybe Photobucket is taking operation advice from Sears / KMart?

Those folk are the Best at destroying healthy companies by utilizing poor management techniques....

Dave

Thanks for the heads up SternWake. I've used Photobucket for posting pictures on this forum and for embedding boondocking photos on a Google map but that's about it. So far my photos on the forum are still showing up but, I guess, not for long. All of the Route 66 trip pictures will be gone along with the pictures that I posted of the RTRs and other gatherings.

At least I managed to save the boondocking photos. I have them saved several places but not in a dedicated folder so finding them would have been a lot of work. Now they're all in one folder, ready to replace the embedded ones if they disappear. Thanks again for the warning!

just finished deleting my account. I didn't realize I've had it since 2009. when they ask why I deleted, it was a simple answer. I won't pay extortion. Hell, I've got all my pics on 2 remote hard drives, a few cd's, a couple of flash drives and both of my computers. Guess I can just resize a pic if need be to fit some forums.

PB wont even load for me right now.......guess too many people are on there getting their stuff out. Most of my pics are on my hard drive anyways......Guess I will just back them up on to a DVD

For those that use a mobile device for forum surfing, and need to resize pictues to post, i can reccomend the free app "resize my pix".

It is simple and straightforward. I used it to resize pics to post on the TNTTT forum.

Thankfully this forum does not require resizing, in my experience.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Spaceman Spiff said:
I've always loaded pictures directly from my computer.  From my picture folder when in Windows XT and from the desktop when in Sierra.  I know they show up because others have commented on them.

Gary68's first page pictures are not available, last page are.  Random pictures from 'Humorous' thread are showing up.

I don't want to entrust my stuff to a third party, paid or not.  Flash is so cheap now that I can have multiple copies of my pictures scattered around.

From my Mac:

-- Spiff

Direct free upload is the way I like to go. Is Sierra a program that permits you to do that?

Kathleen said:
Direct free upload is the way I like to go. Is Sierra a program that permits you to do that?

Sierra is the current Mac operating system.

What I do:
  1. Load picture into Photoshop.
  2. Resize to 8" X 10"
  3. Save to desktop (Mac) at low resolution, usually ~ 80 KB, as a .jpg file.  In Windows I save the picture back into the file as a .jpg with 'low' appended to the filename.
  4. In my post, under attachments (at the bottom), 'Choose File' button.  On the Mac the contents of the desktop come up and I choose the file I want by double clicking mouse.  In Windows XT, I navigate to the correct picture file and choose my picture by a double click.
  5. Hit the 'add attachment' button.
  6. Put my cursor to where I want the picture to show up in the text.
  7. Hit the 'Insert Into post' button.
  8. Hit 'Preview Post' button and see if composition looks right.  Edit and repeat until satisfied  or frustrated.
  9. Hit 'Post Reply'.
There are free photo editing apps that will do the resizing and saving as a .jpg in low resolution.  Others with experience with them can comment.  I use Photoshop Elements because I have it, know it, and like it.

-- Spiff

Spaceman Spiff said:
Sierra is the current Mac operating system.

-- Spiff

Thanks, Spiff. Not a Mac user, so didn't recognize "Sierra".

Have Photoshop, should be able to do something similar.

On social media I do a direct upload from my documents. Quick & EZ.

Tried to upload photos here last week.

When they wouldn't load I thought they must be too big. Didn't have time to downsize in Photoshop that day.

This thread is helpful.

Spiff,

Thanks for your very clear step by step list on how to upload photos to the forum. Great reference for when I want to post pics in future.

Gary68 said:
http://imgur.com/

i switch to imgur when photobucket ads made it unusable

I don't use my PB account much, but I've noticed lately that the adds and pop-ups are completely out of control.  Sometimes (often) I have to close the site and open it again to upload an image.  Then there's the sneaky way they open a window *behind* the tab you have open so you can't see it's there.  This now happens every single time I try to upload a photo.  

Some of the photos I have on their site are from old laptops I no longer own, so PB is the only way to view them.  No way am I going to wade through their sea of crap ads to transfer them all to a file.   :s

on photobucket you can download a whole album at once,takes about 15 seconds,well 15 minutes after getting through all the adds

imgur is pretty much the same as photobucket but actually works