Cummins Canoe (A Stepvan Story)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, look at it this way, you are getting closer to a new truck! Get an RV tow policy and wait a couple days. Ours is less than $130 a year and covers any vehicle we happen to be in if it will be a big one time tow bill. Make sure to read the fine print. It works well for us as the nearest repair facility is 110 miles and dealerships are around 200 miles. Makes their customer service operators go nuts!

Wow all of a sudden I’m not jealous Of your vehicle anymore. I hope it turns out good for you.

PlethoraOfGuns said:
I normally shift without the clutch, no need for the clutch if you can synchronize the rpm of the engine and trans.

Right, eh?
Every time you shift without the clutch you give your gears a nice haircut.
The clutch is there for a reason.

yep don't need no stinking clutch, LOL. just as long as you are not grinding the gears you're good. highdesertranger

Wait, I thought the grinding means you have to push harder on the stick?!?  :D

In that case you are a machinist not a driver! Lol!!!

I could use a machinist right about now!

50769356232_3f0d1ea378_c.jpg

Snapped the crankshaft in half. Looks like a broken connecting rod too. This engine is trash. Anyone have a spare Cummins 4BT laying around?

Put a fork in it, it’s done. A while back there was a discussion on 4BT and another diesel option offered in panel vans. I can’t remember if any sources were mentioned or not.

Those 4BTs are in such demand that out West here they start at $3,500 for "running" motor. Not uncommon to pay $6,000+ for a really good one.

Will a 6BT fit in there? My GMC P35 Grumman Olson looks like it would fit right in.

Sorry to see that much damage so soon after all your hard work.

I've seen broken cranks before, one thing that causes that is when you roll up to a stop with a load on it and turn the motor off, without first releasing the clutch. The sudden shock of putting all the load against the crank can sure snap it.

I have seen 4 broken cranks in my time working as a mechanic all four were V8's, 3 were steel cranks and 1 was cast.

The steel cranks all broke at number 4 main, V8 steel cranks are twisted, when they come out of the die the crank is placed into a press and is twisted across number 2 and number 4 main. That is why they tend to brake at number 4 main. The cast crank was broken at the front.

To tell if you have a steel or cast crank there are 2 ways I know of.

First look for the parting mark where the 2 half of the mold/die went together, if the mark is wide maybe a 1/2 inch it is steel, if the mark is narrow maybe a 1/8 inch its cast. Also the surface of the metal looks different between the two, the steel crank is soother.

Second with the crank out of the motor, stand it up and take a small hammer and tap one of the counter weights, if it rings out few a couple of seconds it's steel, if it rings and stops it's cast.

Since you have a diesel the cast will steel. They did make some diesels with a cast crank but its not common the one broken cast crank I saw was in a 6.2L Diesel, also the Olds Diesel had a cast crank.

Yes, I know this will certainly break the bank to fix. This was supposed to be a long term vehicle for me, which is why we picked the Cummins engine in the first place. So if it were to be fixed, I don't think a cheap Jasper replacement will do, and I don't want to gamble on a used engine. Thinking new/rebuilt engine, just need to find a good place to get one from. I'm sure a 6BT could fit, but that's a lot of extra work with engine mounts, moving the rest of the drivetrain back, exhaust, driveshaft upgrade, etc. The lil 4BT is enough for this vehicle. I'm ok taking my time up hills and such. Don't plan on towing anything. I also enjoy the crazy good fuel economy of the 4 cylinder. Not sure how to pay for it, but I don't think I can go any other direction. Have too much invested in this project.

I wished it wasn't as bad as it is, but it is. I've snapped crankshafts in engines before. I think this is my third one. My last one was a 6.2L diesel. That was my fault, I drove it too hard, too many rpm's. It was also a cast crank. I was going easy on this one though. Going down the highway at a nice comfortable 65mph. The reason it blew is a very silly one. One reason that nobody in a brazillion years would think of. Completely preventable. And I'm still kicking myself in the butt for. Very frustrating and disappointing. But when life hands you lemons, you make lemon margaritas...

I think I would make some friends of older mechanics around a bakery or some industry that has had a large fleet in the past. They might have some resources or ideas on where to get an engine.

Good idea. I'm gonna go fishing for some more friends.

50758859482_dcc2be3307_c.jpg

In the meantime, we're going to get towed and pull this engine out. We're running out of food and clean underwear living in this parking lot.

Safe travels. Time to start considering a Samurai or electric bicycle maybe. Maybe even using it as an AirBnB while it is setting. Give people a chance to experience the lifestyle and help pay for a new motor!

66788 said:
Those 4BTs are in such demand that out West here they start at $3,500 for "running" motor.  Not uncommon to pay $6,000+ for a really good one.

In my circle of friends, there are numerous real life heartaches of their "Diesel Experiences". From Snapped cranks, Blown Turbo's and $1000+ USED junkyard computers.... It's because of them that I've always been dead set on a Gas engine (for most people vehicles).
Always rubbed my funny the way they would get cocky over how reliable and cheap to operate they were..... good grief.  I don't think ANY of them have a diesel anything except tractors.

Then again, I knew I never had the money to actually fix a broken one, or for that matter, buy a new one, which would be my only comfortable option given they rattle and knock so bad you can't tell what shape a used one is really in.

$3500 will buy one hell of a replacement Gas engine... It is what I would do... Install an adequately powered brand new one, or an awfully powerful used one (plenty of unfinished "projects" on Craigslist).

Sure, you can pretty much bank on 10mpg round the clock with one (I'd hit 14mpg if I got a tail wind), but sheez... 6 grand ?? That equals about 3000 gallons of gas or 30,000 Miles ! How many miles will you actually drive such a vehicle in a year ?

I can just imagine what a late model injected LT could mean to a truck like that.

I drove a 4BT/TH400 16' as a shop truck. Truck is still sitting there (bad pinion bearing, but by now, no brake lines, scaled frame and more work than it might be worth). I was told I could buy it for $2000 a few years ago. It is only worth that expense to me if I wanted to do another truck, in which that engine would be the first thing yanked and sold to a "believer". I'm told the TH400 adapter is quite valuable too. As of right now, I'm thinking no way.... but I could make some quick money on that engine and transmission!  It can just sit there another year or so. When I retire, I may have a change of heart.