Cummins Canoe (A Stepvan Story)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those old Hondas run forever! Must feel empowering to have that second vehicle! Unfortunately, my second mode of transport is my feet. I've thought about storing a bike inside, but the feet take up so much less room!

Got to work the next day immediately, ripping apart this mess.

51500763932_d2afacfe9c_c.jpg

[size=small]Lots of seized components. No point in trying to save anything, as it's all tore up pretty bad. Let it burn. Glad I have a torch onboard.[/size]

51502276019_ce84795484_c.jpg

[size=small]Once I got everything out I was able to assess the true damage. The bottom control arm is shot, snapped and the balljoint ripped out. The upper control arm is bent all to hell from not having the lower control arm supporting anything. The tire and steering knuckle being ripped back into the fender well caused the floor in the cab to bend out and wrapped the tie rod around the frame. And looking at the sway bar, it's time for new bushings.[/size]

[size=small]
51501563541_c4c3b44256_c.jpg
[/size]

[size=small][size=small]Don't believe me? There ya go. The balljoint is fine! Could totally reuse it! Control arms, hmmm, might need new ones. That may be hard to find. Might have to try JB Weld...[/size][/size]

51502490785_823bfa4637_c.jpg

[size=small]But, since it's all apart, we're going to get new balljoints for the passenger and driver side. Unfortunately, I don't have an air gun or balljoint press, so I need to get crafty with what I gots.[/size]

>>Control arms, hmmm, might need new ones. That may be hard to find.

The arms are 1 Ton Chevy Van Parts. Piece of cake.

I put all new ones on including the lower shafts on my last truck before it even went on the road. I think the newest ones are imported. Probably get some dandy USA made originals from a rust free area junk yard.

All the parts stores can get them. 2 week special order from China, $$$. I'm hiking to a junkyard.

Just get someone to push in the new ball joints for you (or perhaps the bone yard ones will get you home). The inner pivot shaft on the 1 ton is all bolt up... no pressing anything.

Gotta say though I was never in love much with the 1 ton lower inner pivot shaft just because it was metal on metal (via threads)... it was always much noisier than the 3/4 tons. But we know why they did what they did. At least it was always reasonably cheap to swap the shaft and nuts out on that shaft to tighten things up.

You know I think you need a reward for the calmest, human in all the world! You have more patience than any human ever. I’d be on the floor kicking and screaming by now.

db5d1d025d601261a93705dacf7ab3de.jpg

datac said:
Just get someone to push in the new ball joints for you (or perhaps the bone yard ones will get you home). The inner pivot shaft on the 1 ton is all bolt up... no pressing anything.

Gotta say though I was never in love much with the 1 ton lower inner pivot shaft just because it was metal on metal (via threads)... it was always much noisier than the 3/4 tons. But we know why they did what they did. At least it was always reasonably cheap to swap the shaft and nuts out on that shaft to tighten things up.
Nah, I'm gonna do it all right since I have the whole thing apart. Although I did consider it until I got my hands on a balljoint press. Doesn't everyone carry a balljoint press with them in their rig?

Those pivot shafts are super simple. Really, it's just a slightly rotating motion up and down. Just grease them so they don't rust and seize up. I don't have much experience otherwise as everything I've worked on in the past has been 4wd.

Cammalu said:
You know I think you need a reward for the calmest, human in all the world!  You have more patience than any human ever. I’d be on the floor kicking and screaming by now.

db5d1d025d601261a93705dacf7ab3de.jpg
Oh thanks, another award! I'll tuck that right next to my YARC award!

Putting stuff back together went much smoother than taking them apart. Boy, I really need an impact gun in this rig...

51510356307_92f7a843b7_c.jpg

Well that was convenient. Super, super close was a junkyard that had 5 vans at my disposal. Guy used them for storage, was super nice, and let me take any parts I needed off them for free! Obviously I was on my own for parts removal. I just chose the most accessible van to pillage. I should have checked the odometer on each van and took the ones with the least mileage, oh well.

51511388093_cef8e23a57_c.jpg

Made friends with the junkyard dag. Got him some ice cream and we became best friends. Also very easy to remove these parts with no engine in the way.

51511390018_c2f19d5dd4_c.jpg

[size=small]"New" control arms and lots of other new parts! These control arms are old, but they were free and I didn't have to wait 2 weeks for cheap ones from China to get.[/size]

51511392843_13caa1f68f_c.jpg

[size=small]New balljoints, tie rods, and sway bar bushings! Van rides better than ever! Steering wheel isn't so straight, but will get a real alignment once I do the driver side balljoints and tie rods. For now, the old tape measure alignment will get me where I gotta go.[/size]

51512099790_fa8beb96a1_c.jpg

[size=small]And as a bonus, I found the elusive driver side wheel well that I've been searching for over a year for! This might have made this breakdown worth it! Total cost of breakdown: $155, a couple nights camping in town, some ice cream, and got many free parts received as a bonus. Life is good![/size]

[size=small][size=small]Things I've learned:[/size][/size]
Cash is king.
Junkyard dags are mostly bark no bite(might have gotten lucky on this one).
Always carry water even if you think you don't need it as you'll never know when you'll break down and still will need showers(was very dirty everyday, glad to get mostly clean before bed).
[size=small][size=small]There are lots of nice people out there![/size][/size]

Be sure and send the junk yard a Christmas card with a thank you and recommend him here in the forum.

It was a great spot to break down! Made lots of lemonade! A Christmas card would be a nice touch. I did but all the employees ice cream the one day. The dag was most excited about that.

Do you have a youtube channel if not you should start one just from reading thru all this I would be hooked.

Haha, no youtube, sorry. I'm terrible with computers and the inter web stuff. I'm much better at fixing things when they break.

Well that's unfortunate i believe you would have some great content with a flair of drama.

Seems like the drama has subsided in the mean time, knock on wood. Nice to be able to see some of the world instead if the undercarriage of a Grumman. Here's hoping your tools get back to rusting again. Its nice to read about your travels and your exceptional shadetree abilities but I'm glad you are back to the travel part.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Yep, I'm sure I'd have good content. I just don't have time for all that. I got work to do. There will always be drama when you live on the road, but I'm loving all of it! I don't want a house, that sounds boring. But thanks ya'll. I have confidence to repair anything on this rig, so I'm gonna stick with it. And now that it's running good, I want to help other people fix stuff.

Driving down the road, started hearing a funny noise. Thought it was a little exhaust leak. Oh well, not a big deal, sounded like a later problem. Later that day, smoke started pouring into the cab. Pulled over and took a look...

51592835854_b966f6f74f_c.jpg

[size=small]Oil everywhere! Started the engine and observed. It was actually fuel and exhaust shooting out from around an injector.[/size]

51592866754_d3545e848f_m.jpg

[size=small]Turns out the copper washer failed and the injector was no longer sealed to the cylinder head. Took a hike to some parts stores. Nothing a little sandpaper and copper washer kit can't fix.[/size]

51593100340_c150ede75d_c.jpg

[size=small]A few hour delay and was back on track to our destination.[/size]

Nothing is breaking! This is great! I guess I can do some preventative maintenance instead.

51631929603_9b03fbab7e_c.jpg

[size=small]Got the time to do it, so it's getting done. Drivers side balljoints and tie rods. Greased all the joints, packed the wheel bearings, and torqued everything down to the proper specs.[/size]

51631932778_6c389d6c2f_c.jpg

[size=small]But, some things just couldn't go right. The driver side front shock mount broke off, so we had that welded up right quick. Once the tires were back on, it's off to an alignment shop. Three weeks to wait for an appointment, but only $70. Apparently, every mechanic shop is backed up and people are waited several weeks to get their vehicles in and fixed. I can't imagine waiting in line overtime something broke. Very fortunate I've been able to fix things myself. But alignments really shouldn't be done with a tape measure as a permanent fix.[/size]

Latest posts