Cummins Canoe (A Stepvan Story)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget to rotate your summer plugs for winter plugs when it gets cold out

Oh yes, I always do that when I swap out my summer blinker fluid for my winter blinker fluid. We gotta stay on top of these things!

Don’t forget to rotate your mirrors, this helps with the icing in the winter.

Hmmm, never done that before. Makes sense why my mirrors always ice up. Boy do I feel like a real dumby!

Learning the limitations of this vehicle. That's all I got.

51402995241_eae9e78e1f_c.jpg

Oops. Dumped the front tires off the hard pack. The heavy Cummins engine yanked the front tires down into the ground. In reverse, the locking differential dug all four rear tires into the ground as well. Some digging and rocking and eventually we got out.

51403978320_547c83a1fc_c.jpg

Upon inspection of the vehicle, found this surprise. Another day, another plug. Thinking about some new tires for the rear. All terrains?

With that much weight and torque you will just dig a deeper hole! Lol!!!

Exactly why 4wd isn't good enough! We really need 6wd! But really, if it wasn't for that locking differential, the van would still be there.

Every year I see vehicles getting pulled out of Tyson Wash in Quartzsite right near the flea
Market.

A kinetic tow rope will unstick that thing easily.

Watch a few videos from Matt's Offroad Recovery channel on YouTube.  He pulls out busses
with a Bubba rope.

...new tires so as its not tiresome...Big Tires will thank you ...Freedom isn't free...

Cammalu said:
Every year I see vehicles getting pulled out of Tyson Wash in Quartzsite right near the flea
Market.
Oh boy. Need to be careful around them washes.

66788 said:
A kinetic tow rope will unstick that thing easily.

Watch a few videos from Matt's Offroad Recovery channel on YouTube.  He pulls out busses
with a Bubba rope.
Yep, I carry one. Need another dumby to come yank me out though. Plan is to not get into a predicament like this again.

Ikegodsey said:
...new tires so as its not tiresome...Big Tires will thank you ...Freedom isn't free...
Yea... I'll just get new tires.

I've been away for bit. Catching up.

Problem with being a mobile mech for a RV convoy, is that they might get tired of waiting while you work on your own vehicle.

Sorry, but that comment wrote itself.

Driving across the middle of nowhere late one night and all of a sudden lost forward momentum. Engine was fine, just no movement.

51403773279_bde9dc6f4c_c.jpg

[size=small]Hmmm, that will do it. Throttle cable fell off. Seems the spring pressure of the keeper is no more.[/size]

51403774379_d56e6de176_c.jpg

[size=small]That's what cable ties are for![/size]

Ball was fine. The keeper just doesn't have spring anymore to hold on.

Ugh, not again...

51421637121_0cabe73212_c.jpg

[size=small]This was a slow explosion and wasn't immediate like the last one. Belt was still "functioning", but I heard a horrible noise and sparks were flying out from under the hood! Apparently, changing the belt tensioner didn't fix it. Lots of things seem to be chewed up this time.[/size]

51421893883_c8872cab03_c.jpg

[size=small]Back to the basics. Ripped it all off to replace everything. Luckily, in this configuration, the rig is still mobile. Although can only drive 3 miles every 5 hours as to not risk overheating since we don't have the water pump anymore. Got to a good place to use leave rig and go hiking for parts.[/size]

51422402849_234234912e_m.jpg

[size=small]Waited a few days for parts to arrive. Nice hike to go pick them up. Not messing around this time, got all legit Cummins parts. The worst part on the wallet was the pulley hub bearing assembly.[/size]

51422404089_402926391f_c.jpg

[size=small]This fan spacer has seen better days.[/size]

51422404689_3471c7341c_m.jpg

[size=small]I think I should change these bolts too.[/size]

51421644991_51163494cf_c.jpg

[size=small]All in all, 3 day delay. Hung out at the coast and relaxed. Got parts installed and back on road. Easy as pie. We'll just see if this repair fixes everything. Time will tell...[/size]

Latest posts