Cummins Canoe (A Stepvan Story)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
Yes accumulator tanks are a must.  Highdesertranger

My Flojet water pump explicitly warned not to use with an accumulator tank.   Two years later I found that I didn't really need one.

^^^ Flojet actually sells a booster system as well as states in their literature in all current pumps I could find that accumulators improve performance. There are some pumps I believe that use a specialized pressure switch that have to be adjusted to work with an accumulator so maybe that is your situation with your pump. An accumulator will extend the life of your pump as it cuts down on the number of on/off cycles.

Yes some pumps(very few) do not need a accumulator. They have some kind of special bypass pressure switch. It will say so in the instruction.

Highdesertranger

Hmmm, all good, valid points. I'll look into installing an accumulator. Thanks for all the input!

Oh geez, does anything not break? We are on a roll!

51300537425_7cac7aaa43_c.jpg

[size=small]Got the kitchen back together. Figured we get the compost toilet finished. Mixed some coco coir and diatomaceous earth together to aid in the compost process. We have our doubts, we'll let you know how it goes.[/size]

51300546165_bc3a5a978b_c.jpg

[size=small]We store the mix right behind the toilet. Wish it was on the side of the toilet so the toilet seat wasn't in the way, but this is just how it all worked out. Just need a scooper and we'll be good to go.[/size]

51299531536_7044ddc131_c.jpg

[size=small]Somewhere mostly uninhabited northern Indiana, noticed loss of power, the boost was dropping, and the egt was rising. Pulled over to take a look.[/size]

51298790742_9bbf219028_c.jpg

[size=small]Well, the repair welds on the turbocharger flange adapter held great. But Chinese steel is Chinese steel. Had this all sitting in the back of my head since we first had it repaired. Sometimes your nightmares come true. Had some broken bolts on the exhaust manifold too. Nothing a torch couldn't handle and replaced with stainless hardware.[/size]

51299533256_2a6ccfcd78_c.jpg

[size=small]Caught it in time before the turbocharger fell completely off again.[/size]

51299719078_8812248fb4_c.jpg

[size=small]This ought to fix it! No more turbochargers falling off around here![/size]

So we were parked in some Minneapolis neighborhood, on a hill, between two cars. Went to leave and the clutch pedal goes right to the floor. Turns out, all the hydraulic fluid leaked out through a bad fitting. Determined to get where we were going, I man-handled the thing and got it going, even though the transmission took several large blows while I was trying to get out of that pickle. Hopefully the clutch is ok after that mess.

51302807137_ebf5546e3d_m.jpg

[size=small]So here is our culprit. The line going into the slave cylinder should be straight. The metal on the hardline wore out from the roll pin. Could not get it to seal and not leak.[/size]

51302813137_b7811b11d3_c.jpg

[size=small]Also couldn't easily get replacement hard lines, so we came up with our own setup with some stainless steel line.[/size]

51304287909_7da5f04868_c.jpg

[size=small]Was able to get back on the road and found a nice stream to pump out some water and into our storage tanks. We use the hot tub pump under the passenger seat to suck water out of stream. Works pretty good.[/size]

Oh boy, the clutch did not enjoy what I did to it back in Minneapolis...

51304746157_bebc8321d9_c.jpg

[size=small]So the girls have never read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. So we spent the day floating down the Mississippi in our "raft" and me telling them all about Mark Twain's American classic..[/size]

51306144764_170491cc0d_c.jpg

[size=small]And then we were off to much more desolate places! Crossing the country without taking the interstates is the way to go![/size]

51305623093_e1ae22eb74_c.jpg

[size=small]But then we broke down again. This time in the middle of nowhere. Van wouldn't go into any gear. Clutch hydraulics worked fine, shift fork moves, just a faint grinding coming from the transmission. We think to ourselves, what could it be now?[/size]

51306442325_5a682cf0d4_c.jpg

[size=small]So the van is now immobile. Took the top cover off of the transmission and confirmed that all that was fine. We're tired, so we sit on the roof and watch an approaching storm roll through.[/size]

51306185559_2a718ab0d5_c.jpg

[size=small]The next day we came up with a plan to lower the 200+ pound cast iron transmission with some chain anchored to the corner ceiling supports in the cab, and a come-along down to some straps around the transmission. Worked super great and the dirt cushioned the transmissions fall![/size]

51304729297_fc652063ca_c.jpg

[size=small]Now that the clutch is all apart, the first thing I notice is when I grabbed the center hub by the splines on the clutch plate, it jingles and jangles all around. That is not normal. If you look carefully, you can see the sides of the hub up against the springs. The faint grinding noises was actually the hub plate riding against the springs. This thing is done for. I'm pretty sure I damaged it back in Minneapolis when the clutch hydraulic line broke and I started it in reverse/hammered it home and it bucked all over the place a few times. Oh well, live and learn.[/size]

51306198684_c8361a9f93_c.jpg

[size=small]So now we had to get a replacement. Being in the middle of nowhere meant we had to load up our backpacks and spend the day hiking some railroad tracks which did take us to the nearest town with an autoparts store. Luckily they had a replacement clutch kit.[/size]

51306489825_60bd40ecb5_c.jpg

[size=small]Made it back to the rig just before dark. The next day I pretended to know what I was doing and got the new clutch in. Our hoist system was perfect, never had a transmission go back in so easily! This might be my new preferred method of transmission removal.[/size]

51305650493_312abf5b41_c.jpg

[size=small]I wasn't the only one working. This was a two person job! But now we're good to go and back on the road. What else could go wrong?[/size]

L. Ron Hubbard couldn't make this stuff up...

51316373773_c25603095f_c.jpg

[size=small]The next day after we replace the clutch and leave town, the clutch master cylinder gives out. We camped at a BLM campsite and the parking wasn't great, van was angled to the side, we didn't care, so tired. In the morning, I decided to move it to flatter ground, put the key in, pushed the clutch down like I normally do when starting engine, and I hear a pop, clutch pedal goes to the floor, and hydraulic fluid is leaking all over under the dash.[/size]

51316374258_9f27b27973_c.jpg

[size=small]Take the clutch master cylinder apart because again, we're in the middle of nowhere and you just need to fix things with what you got. Turns out the hydraulic piston cracked. Great. This is a new one. But who knows how old this part is, so it is what it is. I'm an idiot and don't carry extra master cylinder pistons, so...[/size]

51316892669_e48c117545_c.jpg

[size=small]We can epoxy these things make together! Right?[/size]

51316893234_c9a8085f34_c.jpg

[size=small]Well, while that epoxy sets up, we felt very down, so we cracked open our emergency rations of crab legs out of the freezer and watched a movie, trying to get our minds back to a stable place.[/size]

Wow, this is definitely a shakedown cruise! Darn good thing you're very handy!

Well at least you didn't have to cut up a good leather boot to make a seal. You know you can buy universal master cylinders for special applications like racing and custom cars or maybe adapt one from something newer that is easier to get parts for. I like ice cream myself for comfort food but I must have had a lot of depression this last year, my pants are getting tight again! LOL!!!

Oh noooooo. Well you sure took it a lot better than I would have. I tend to shut down when overwhelmed. You did great!

You may want to check that you are not "bottoming out" the master cylinder piston. You may have too much petal travel (the push rod is too long?) or the cylinder may need spaced out as there shouldn't be that much pressure on plastic part otherwise. With the petal fully depressed there should still be a little room for travel by pushing the rod I would think as the spring compresses. The spring can only compress so much and after that something has to give, probably the plastic piece.

kklowell said:
Wow, this is definitely a shakedown cruise! Darn good thing you're very handy!
The shakedown trip was 6 months ago, when the engine blew up!

bullfrog said:
Well at least you didn't have to cut up a good leather boot to make a seal. You know you can buy universal master cylinders for special applications like racing and custom cars or maybe adapt one from something newer that is easier to get parts for. I like ice cream myself for comfort food but I must have had a lot of depression this last year, my pants are getting tight again! LOL!!!
Yea, I'm gonna pickup a good rebuildable afternarket master cylinder and keep as a spare. At least without the clutch pedal we can still "get around" if we have to. We are parked on a slight hill, can roll it into 1st going the wrong way through the lil campsite area if we really have to.

Cammalu said:
Oh noooooo. Well you sure took it a lot better than I would have.  I tend to shut down when overwhelmed. You did great!
I'm pretty good at keeping calm. Some things you can't fix by getting upset, you just gotta face it head on. Hopefully we can make it to RTR this year. People keep telling me I need to pickup my YARC badge?

bullfrog said:
You may want to check that you are not "bottoming out" the master cylinder piston. You may have too much petal travel (the push rod is too long?) or the cylinder may need spaced out as there shouldn't be that much pressure on plastic part otherwise. With the petal fully depressed there should still be a little room for travel by pushing the rod I would think as the spring compresses. The spring can only compress so much and after that something has to give, probably the plastic piece.

Hmmm, very well could be. I've been very nice to her since we installed the new clutch. Maybe I need to talk sweet nothings into her ear?

Boy, we had high hopes for that epoxy repair. Gave it all plenty of time to cure. The epoxy surely helped, and hydraulic fluid is no longer getting past the plastic, but now it leaks fluid only when I let off the clutch pedal!

51322199214_7eca268440_c.jpg

[size=small]Took it all back apart and find a crack in the piston seal. Only solution for that is some careful application of RTV sealant. We'll wait yet another day and see if that works.[/size]

51322206849_093bbda39e_c.jpg

[size=small]In case anyone is wondering how we do bench bleeds on the side of the road, here ya go. Made this tool out of another tool to hold a socket in the slave cylinder to replicate the clutch pressure. The slave cylinder goes down to the ground in a catch pan while the master cylinder sits in the vise. And then we pump, hold, drain the air out of the slave cylinder. Easy as can be, but after the 6th time, it gets kinda old.[/size]

51322218694_033711cef2_c.jpg

[size=small]We also think we spend too much time broken down. We're starting to see weird things out in the woods now...[/size]

Saying weird things in the forest is normal. In this forest I am the weird thing. Where is Art bell when you need him.?

PlethoraOfGuns said:
I'm pretty good at keeping calm. Some things you can't fix by getting upset, you just gotta face it head on. Hopefully we can make it to RTR this year. People keep telling me I need to pickup my YARC badge?

Sure. Come on out to YARC camp. We were wayyyyy down on campers this last year. Hopefully we will have more this year.

nature lover said:
Saying weird things in the forest is normal.  In this forest I am the weird thing.  Where is Art bell when you need him.?
Weird is ok. Maybe Art Bell could have helped us out here?

wayne49 said:
This travel log is becoming a travail log.
Haha, we accept all, well most of, the things that happen to us.

Cammalu said:
Sure. Come on out to YARC camp. We were wayyyyy down on campers this last year. Hopefully we will have more this year.
Neat-o, I'll try to be at least one more number for the camp.

Well shucks, the RTV repair didn't work. Oh well, we're not screwed. Luckily, the rig is parked in front of a downhill area, so we pushed it down and popped it into first gear and drove it 30 miles to nearest town and picked up a new clutch master cylinder. We'll keep the old one for spare parts, who knows at this point.

51326661014_3a91a4eb28_m.jpg

[size=small]Everything was fixed and we were going again. But then, not far down the road, I pushed the clutch pedal down and heard a pop and a clunk, but no fluid leaking. We were already going down the road, and once again, clutchless, so we made a direct drive back to the parts store without stopping and found this. Luckily, we didn't lose anything important. I don't think the c-clip was on very good and the whole thing separated from the mounting flange. Easy fix, didn't have to bleed the clutch for 8th time, not worth griping over.[/size]

[size=small]
51326936415_ef1ef771e2_c.jpg
[/size]

[size=small][size=small]And finally all back together and on the road! Feels good to be moving freely once again...[/size][/size]