Craigslist/RVT/Rvtrader advice!!!!!!!!!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbanhermit70

Reaction score
To people who had experiences  looking for a RV on Craigslist, RVT and/ or RVTraders:

Will it be hard to find these RV in good condition and on these sites? Should  I look for  RV in  Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb  or March? Should I look for  RV  in California,Nevada, Arizona etc? I live in California.

Price range:  $5000 or under
Year:1986 - whatever

Winnebago Winnie Minnie 26-27 feet
Winnebago Chieftain 30-35 feet

Look for the coach you want in the condition you want for the money you have to spend. When you find it, be prepared to negotiate for it and go after it. Anything older than about twenty years will be hard to find in good condition... and then with a coach that old, have sufficient cash reserves to replace all of the mechanicals, and likely many of the coach systems over the course of the following year after you purchase it. If you're fortunate, you won't have to do that. If you're not... you can easily go $15,000 into a coach for an engine, transmission, tires, brakes, complete front end, rear end, fridge, AC unit(s) and new generator. Less, of course, if they're rebuild-able...

what are you looking to get? how far are you willing to travel to see it? the southeast is a good place also. i use EBay, RVT, RVTrader, Roadtrek Int. I've been doing this for a while, and and I've noticed that i almost automatically don't bother looking too hard at what i call salt on the road states. figure medium 3 figures for traveling expenses to go long distance. what I'm going to do,( i live in FL) is hire a mech. where its at, if good, go there look at it if its what i want, buy it.

caretaker said:
I've noticed that i almost automatically don't bother looking too hard at what i call salt on the road states. 

This isn't really an issue with RV's as 99% aren't driven in the winter and thus no salt ever reaches the RV frame.  They're also used less in these states, so you may be missing out on some really good RV's.

urbanhermit70 said:
Will it be hard to find these RV in good condition and on these sites?
YES! Most of those sales are for reasons other than them just being nice folks. Do your research first. Come armed with knowledge.
If I spot something I'm interested in, I will research what to look out for on it before I contact them.

Always google the photo,  Lots of scams out there.

GotSmart said:
Always google the photo,  Lots of scams out there.

Which brings up another point, never wire them money for a deposit!

ERLH, your right about RVs, mostly, i didn't mention that I'm not limiting myself to just RVs, I'm also looking (leaning actually) towards mid-hightop conversion vans, but I'm gun-shy about salt on the road states because i lived in MI,MO,IL, and i live on an island in the gulf, so I've developed a paranoia about rust, but thru the surfing I've done things seem to trend that way. since I'm in FL its looking to me like the carolinas, (south mostly) GA, seems to be target rich environment. whats weird is i almost never see em from KY,TN. FL ones be CAREFUL they can look almost perfect but can be almost completely gone.

Our friends just snagged a pretty decent looking Winnebago Itasca Class C for $5,300, it was located in Kingman, Arizona. Good looking rig, too. We found our Class A from a private party in CA. We wanted to avoid the dealerships due to the taxes, so look it over very carefully before deciding to buy. You can always bargain with the private owners easier than a dealership. Find someone desperate to sell it, and you may find a real gem. 

I hear you on the rust, I grew up in Detroit and would never buy a car, van or RV from back east for the very same reason.

Ok, you just made me nervous! LOL, I have found a possibility and it is at a dealer. Well, they are more RV repair guys more than they are dealers, meaning that repair and sell some RV's. Last night they got a 1987 Itasca with 34,000 original miles on it in for a trade on a toy trailer. There are no leaks, has new a/c on the roof, the roof is fiberglass, fridge replaced in 2000 so considering upgrading that if I get it. They are asking $9,995 for it. They showed me the NADA on it-$10,995. In my area, that price does seem to be fair. I am open to suggestion feedback, warning::) Oh, it had one owner who bought new in 1987 and it has just been passed down to the son who, as I stated, has not traded it in for a toy trailer.

if your serious your gonna have t buy sometime/thing, if the vibe is right and you like it,show em $9500, see what happens.

Pen Wize said:
... a 1987 Itasca with 34,000 original miles on it. There are no leaks, has new a/c on the roof, the roof is fiberglass, fridge replaced in 2000 ... one owner who bought new in 1987 and it has just been passed down to the son...

Sitting is harder on a vehicle than driving it.  That's only 1,000 miles a year...  and it may have only been driven the first three years of its life and sat the remainder.   That means that ALL of the seals are likely soft.  The brake rotors are likely warped.  The calipers will likely be rusted.  The master cylinder may be rusted.  The chassis electrical may have corrosion issues... 

Of course, it may be perfectly fine, depending on where and how it's been stored... but check for engine/transmission seals leaking or weeping.  See if there are any oil spots under the unit.  Have an independent mechanic check it over thoroughly and have adequate reserve set aside for major repairs as it will undoubtedly need something done to it.

caretaker said:
what are you looking to get? how far are you willing to travel to see it? the southeast is a good place also. i use EBay, RVT, RVTrader, Roadtrek Int. I've been doing this for a while, and and I've noticed that i almost automatically don't bother looking too hard at what i call salt on the road states. figure medium 3 figures for traveling expenses to go long distance.  what I'm going to do,( i live in FL) is hire a mech. where its at, if good, go there look at it if its what i want, buy it.

How do you go about finding a good mechanic and how much can I expect to pay to have them look over the rig? I am looking for a Class C 25-28 ft. I have found I will be going to look at. Both are about a couple of hours from where I live in Raleigh, NC. Also, do I need an RV tech to also check it over? If so, how do I find one? I can go to Florida to look as well. 
Thank you!

If you don't know a shop, or dont have access to any internet rating agencies (BBB ratings, Yelp, Angie's list come to mind), then you need to consider joining AAA (you'd want that anyway) as they have recommended shops.

I googled Raleigh NC auto shop reviews and got pages of sites, try it...

That's the auto chassis part. For the RV side, call RV repair places and ask them what they charge to inspect, and if they will do so. You can also Google "Raleigh NC RV repair", another whole page of possibles.

what TWIH says, I've also noticed on the EBay motors site they offer inspection service nation wide,,,I've NEVER used it so i don't know how good it is,,but it was what i was going to use until i read TWIHs post,,,if you have ins now maybe ask your agent if yours does

When I visit my Mom in Indiana and she needs something done on her car( the family waits for me to visit before they do anything to Mom's car) I go to the local NAPA Auto Parts store and quiz them about what shop they would recommend for their mother.  I live in Texas.  That has worked for me.  Ask ask couple parts stores and you'll find a good shop; you'll also find out who to stay away from.  I worked in the auto parts business for 35 years and I can assure parts guys no who the crooks are.

Just thought of another source.  Tool trucks like Snap-On, Matco, Cornwell, etc.  These guys sell tools to repair shops and they would be a good resource.

AZ might be the best bet as you'll have full-timers and snowbirds aging out and selling. Generally, best months to shop are December and January (especially from a dealer), between Memorial Day and Labor Day are probably the worst that I have seen as far as cost. Best selection is usually early spring when prices are high. Always negotiate the price, I would never pay "sticker" at a dealer, probably offer about 20% under asking price, NADA is only a guideline to use and so much more goes into then what NADA takes into consideration. I don't like the line that "It could be gone tomorrow." either, I just say "Well, if it is meant to be mine, it will be here when I'm ready to purchase. I would try to find something closer as to not feel pressure that I spent a bundle getting there. Also, it is good to maybe take a break, go to lunch or get some coffee after looking just to get your head together because at a dealership or a resale they can really put on pressure and some people cave. Give yourself space.

Closeanuf was correct to add NAPA references to the list. I sometimes listen to a Car Care radio show that is all NAPA approved shops taking about servicing issues and tips. They (NAPA) have a nationwide repair network, and will honor each other's warranties, like Goodyear and Firestone usually do.

Snow Gypsy gave good buying advice, I would add to take a level-headed, impartial friend along who can listen and watch without being involved with the purchase. They can have a code sentence or word to alert you that you are getting too emotionally involved (unfortunately male salesmen will zoom in on the female and talk about the attractive "colors" or other eye candy) in the discussions, to "help you off the ledge" so to speak.  Just my thoughts.  Your sons may or may not qualify...

While there are many women who know their way around a vehicle and it may be a stereotype, it still happens...