Cooktop too slippery!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMAG YOYO

Reaction score
Hey folks, this question doesn't fit well into any of the topics, but here goes:
My 3-burner Atwood cooktop has some kind of enamel or porcelain coating over the grate, and pots and pans slide around, even just flipping an egg. It's downright dangerous, any ideas to increase the friction between the pan and the grate?

Wait a few years until the enamel is chipped off and beat up like mine.

What TMG51 said. The grate will get rough from your pots and pans scratching it up and also from the heat of the burners. Just cook some more! :-D

tonyandkaren said:
What TMG51 said. The grate will get rough from your pots and pans scratching it up and also from the heat of the burners. Just cook some more! :-D

Hmm, I will lose a lot of fried eggs on the floor before I get there. Maybe I'll give it a quick hit with the belt sander.

I read somewhere that somebody makes a cast-iron grate to upgrade these cooktops but I couldn't find anything anywhere.

If you really want to go modifying it or playing with power tools a triangle file or die grinder will get it some more permanent texture than a sander.

I personally like being able to slide my pan back and forth with ease and it's one of the things I miss from the vintage 3 burner I had in my old TC.
It took me a minute to comprehend what you were saying in the original post because I always pick the pan up to flip it and forgot that most people don't. I would say Willy hit it the nail on the head though, it's a good practice.

I use a single burner propane stove that gets all too slippery, and part of this is I am a pan flipper, not a spatula user. it seems to lubricate the bottom of my cast iron skillet and the grate over the burner.

I have used a cut off wheel on my dremel to cut some teeth into the grate, which was effective, for about a week or 2.

I have resigned myself into being more careful knowing it will always be slippery. I will not give up my small cast iron skillet, which has the most issues on the slippery grate. My aluminum pot does not slide around as easily.