converted cargo trailer to van ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwhite

Reaction score
I am new here considering on a converting a van, I have converted a 7x16 cargo trailer and it has worked well for the last 10 years but I feel Like I need a change.

I am not sure if I should be considering to upgrade at all but something is saying it's time for something new.

looking at the ford transit and ram promaster vans I like the ones that have windows all the way around but it's harder to find those compared to a basic van, I found out that the car dealer will take the seats out if needed ?
There are lot more choices and better prices without the windows so I am wondering if it's better in the long run to go with or go without windows ?
I know it's a personal choice but it looks like all the high end commercial Vans have windows ? 
I have a lot of questions but for now I wonder what others that have done this have found out ?

Hello white, and welcome to the forum. You sound very experienced in the lifestyle. If you go to youtube, with a little searching, will find many many videos of people who converted every sort of van and vehicle imaginable.

Thanks but that's the problem I have been watching to many of those makes me want to do one also ? I do like the creative aspect of personalizing it.

Well, that is the problem, LOL. Everybody on youtube wants to show how clever they are, and get a lot of subscribers. Free market enterprise. I watched a baziillion videos when I was starting out 2 years ago, and boiled it down, and did my own thing. Have fun :).

Actually I wish my GMC cargo van had a few more windows. But I've seen a lot of bigger vans around that do have windows all the way around, and the tinting gives them plenty of privacy in the daytime. At night I imagine they use reflectix or blackout curtains (available from Walmart, etc) to provide privacy.

Thanks for the reply I think I am one of those like on you tube that want's a high end A class style end resort on a van budget right ? so just going from a cargo trailer to a van is a big jump. lol,

Welcome jwhite to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

I would be more concerned about front wheel drive vs rear wheel drive not windows. you can always add windows.

highdesertranger

I have a Ford passenger van. I am not full time so I do not have to worry about extreme weather conditions. I love the windows. I usually keep the passenger windows open until bedtime. I only open the two rear driver windows when I am stuck in the van due to rain and bad weather, otherwise the windows on the driver's side stay closed. By closed I mean have the window shades are deployed. The front driver windows are covered by plastic shelving.

I used to worry that some light got in the windows, but now I seldom close the curtain from the cab area, much less worry about light leaking out from the back windows. When I stop the car for the night, all I do is get in bed, so no lights. My windows are tinted, but not limo tinted. My car has limo tinted windows on the rear and sides. I do not like the night visibility when driving. It is hard to back up in my driveway, I can not see the street to see if anyone is walking. I do have a rear alarm, but because I have a bike rack on the back, it is always sounding when I am in reverse. I have to roll the windows down to back up in the street. So... I do not want limo tinting on my van windows.

"When I stop the car for the night, all I do is get in bed, so no lights".

Not so much fun in the winter time when it gets dark at 5 PM.

Debby, if you have dark tinted windows, it might still possible to put a backup camera right "inside" the rear window, and see out ok. You can get units for $30+ on ebay with camera and LCD screen, running off cigarette lighter power. I put one of these in my van and love the thing madly. I actually run mine 100% of the time when driving as a rear view camera. If the camera is inside, you want the kind without the infrared leds.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/170-Car-Re...e-Back-Up-Camera-Waterproof-CMOS/350896025532

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Foldable-4...or-Car-SUV-Backup-Camera-Display/282051648667

You can mount the camera outside, but then the wire has to come in through a door seal.

You can go to Ford.com to configure vans online. I got a cargo van. On YouTube there's a delivery driver who reviewed both the Ram and Transit. Here's the Ram video... but watch his Transit video too... it may help you decide.

Thanks I saw that awhile ago but want to watch it again, choosing either was going to be my next question.
I am just looking right now but what I read the for transit is a better choice for long driving the ram was better for deliveries ?
I may have seen that on the video.
but thanks again for sending that

I got the Transit and so far no problems... just need to insulate and panel the interior now. Windows on both sides and rear, all tinted. When interior lights are on at night you can see right in but of course I have curtains.

Qxxx: We did install a back-up camera on the van and I have a factory back-up camera on the car. The problem is that you can't see people biking (fast) or walking from the side views when backing up. In a residential area with a lot of people walking their dogs, etc., I want to be able to see the side views when backing up out of my drive. On my car, I usually have a bike rack mounted on the hitch. It blocks the back-up sensor, so whenever I back up in the car, the alarm is activated. I just took the bike rack off for the winter. It weighs 40 pounds so I usually just leave it on for the summer. Don't really want to install a second back-up camera on the car, it is easier to just roll the windows down.

Debbie, backing up is always a problem with these vans. Even with the rear-view cam, you still cannot see very far to the sides, which is a big problem in parking lots. So a lot of us always try to park where we can pull all the way through the spaces, so we can leave going forwards.

My first year with the van, I did go to LA, and while doing 80 MPH on the freeways (standard speeds over there), the crazy drivers were passing me on "both" sides at 100 MPH. Many times they will zoom over 3 lanes in 3 seconds to accomplish the task. I was basically scared shiftless (try saying that fast 3 times). The rear view cam does help with that.