Considerations when traveling solo with animals

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oclisa

Reaction score
As I mentioned in a reply to a post on this topic, traveling with pets is very limiting for those of us who imagined we could explore when we embarked upon this lifestyle. Many state and national parks don't let you hike with dogs, you are a slave to the weather (in warmer months) unless you are with hookups (and even then, you have to trust that your a/c doesn't break down while you are away), a mechanical breakdown with dependent animals in the vehicle can present problems you might not face without the pets, and so on. Yes, I know that many people love sharing this lifestyle with a pet but I think before a person starts out, they should carefully consider what they are expecting from this lifestyle. This seems particularly true if you are the only human in the vehicle. I knew it would be harder with animals but I didn''t understand how much harder - at least for the kind of adventures I planned to have.  I am not the type who is going to spend 14 days on BLM, move the required miles away and spend 14 more, etc. If that is what you want to do, it is probably be easier. I just wanted to put this out there to caution others that they need to realistically consider how they want to travel and how the animals will fit in.