Connecting more than one fuse block to battery bank?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pseudo

Reaction score
I currently have one of these Blue Sea Systems 12 circuit fuse blocks connected to my batteries, but I am running out of circuits. I have another 6 circuit fuse block of the same brand that I want to add. How would I go about connecting it? Just run two more wires from the new one to the positive and negative battery terminals in parallel with the first one? Or daisy chain the two fuse blocks in series?
I'd assume in parallel to maintain the voltage but won't that affect the amperage?

Thanks

if you daisy chain it make sure the main wire coming from the battery can handle the amperage of both panels. highdesertranger

Never ever in "series".

Positive wire only to/from positive terminal of terminal blocks.

You are right about concern for amperage. HDR answered that about heavier gauge wire.

Each terminal block should have its own protective fuse of the rating of the terminal block.

You could run one larger wire from the battery bus (main panel) to a bus bar (subpanel) that has separate fuses for each terminal block.

Concerning volts/amps, don't confuse parallel/series batteries with same for fuse blocks.

Now I'm even more confused haha. So to put it simply... Can I just connect the second fuse block in the same manner as the first one, to the same battery terminals, with 8 gauge wire and an inline 60amp maxi fuse, just like I did with the first?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

pseudo said:
Can I just connect the second fuse block in the same manner as the first one, to the same battery terminals, with 8 gauge wire and an inline 60amp maxi fuse, just like I did with the first?

Yes, and they do not necessarily have to be next to each other either, if it makes wiring simpler/ shorter/ cleaner appearing

Yes, connect it the same as your existing block.

Thanks!

On a related note, I currently have four LED lights and three double 12v cigarette plug outlets, each on their own circuit. 15A fuse for each light and 20A for each outlet.

In order to save space and circuits, could I connect all four lights on one circuit and all three outlets on another? Would I then need to quadruple/triple the ratings of the respective fuses?

pseudo said:
On a related note, I currently have four LED lights and three double 12v cigarette plug outlets, each on their own circuit. 15A fuse for each light and 20A for each outlet.

In order to save space and circuits, could I connect all four lights on one circuit and all three outlets on another? Would I then need to quadruple/triple the ratings of the respective fuses?

I would think the LED lights would be no problem.  LEDs don't typically draw much current.

For the outlets, if your plan is to string them together - take a feed from one outlet to feed another one - the wires probably won't safely carry the load if you are using too many of them at the same time.

Fuses protect the wire from overload.

So the fuse rating is for the smallest wire on the circuit.

If the wire is big enought for the entire load then you can add multiple outlets for all the loads on the one circuit, but daisy chaining 12v plugs the wiring should be thick, 12awg minimum.

Do not get too hung up on 12v ciggy plug connectors.  The receptacels are usually OK, but the plugs are often very bad quality that will develop more and more resistance as time goes on.  Eventually the internal fuse holding portion of the ciggy plug will heat so much that it will melt the surrounding plastic, opening the circuit.

Seems that 60 watts shoudl be the maximum continuous load on them.  Makes sure the plugs are pushed deep and the nipple tip spring is compressed.  They tend to back their way out then the (+) nipple tip barely makes contact and heats up greatly.

The Blueseas 12v receptacle and plug are better designed to keep plug tightly in the receptacle to prevent many of the issues that arise from 12v plugs and receptacles.

If one of those receptacles is for a 12v compressor fridge I would fuse that receptacle individually, perhaps with its own inline fuse right to battery.  Even better would be to cut off the plug and hardwire it.  12v compressor fridges should really get fatter and shorter copper in between battery and compressor controller unit than they do get.  While 12v refers are generally under 60 watts, the ciggy plugs are an inherent weakness in the circuit that are just waiting for the precise time to fail in which to cause a human the most inconvenience.

I recommend having a replacement plug on hand if one is married to using 12v outlet and plugs as it is simply a matter of time before those provided with 12v appliances need replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Sys...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YT4KZZMS3E7F0BS3NJT0

Ok thanks, I'll combine the lights into one but keep the outlets on separate circuits to be on the safe side.

So the same 15A fuse should still be fine even for the 4 LEDs?

The highest power stuff plugged into the receptacles is the laptop with a dedicated 12V brick, and a small inverter.

I do have an Engel DC fridge on the way. Max current draw is 2.7A and I will hardwire it to the fuse block. The cable run will have to be about 15ft. I was thinking 8AWG wire. Should that do it? What size fuse would I need for the fridge?

8 AWG for the fridge at 15 feet one way is more than adequate, especially a Sawafuji compressor which does not havbe a start up surge. Could likely get away with 10AWG.

A LED which draws 2.3 amps is likely brighter than one of your vehicles headlamps. Unless you are requiring this much light, then 15 amp fuse would be more than enough, as long as the wiring was capable of safely passing 15 amps or more.

Small inverters that plug into Ciggy receptacles are fire hazards. Never ask for more than 60 watts, even if inverter is rated for higher.

142364016.bB4v1Vqo.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/hall_of_fail&page=3

Ok cool, and yea I only use the inverter for charging electric toothbrush and shaver :)

What fuse should I be using for the fridge? 20A?

Ok thanks, yea thinking 8awg since it's a bit far from the batteries..