My batteries

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott3569

Reaction score
Hello all, 

I have not been here in a while.. 

I just purchased two batteries from walmart the group 27 deep cycle batteries.
I will order my solar in the next day or so.

I want to put my batteries on charge.  

So how do I connect them together? I am assuming positive to positive.. 

But is there another way? 

My charge controller, fuse box, and battery Isolator are all connected to bus bars.. 

So I will also have the positive and negative from the bus bar to connect.. but I am not going to do that until I am ready with the solar panel.

Thanks all, and I hope everyone is safe

Be sure to connect the batteries to the controller before connecting the panels!

make sure both batteries are about the same voltage and connect to busbar, once connected the battery voltage will equalize.
Once you get the solar panel and start charging, verify battery voltage at terminals with the voltage on the controller. All controllers I owned had voltage drop. I didnt realize for years that I was undercharging my lead acid to less then 14 volts because of the voltage drop. You want to reach 14.4 volts at the battery terminals every day.

Just wanted ti say that I bought Walmart group 27's in 2012 for my boat trolling motor, and they're still going strong. Just yesterday we trolled around for more than 8 hours. I'm not kind to them either, they stay in the boat all winter, every winter. I've been lucky I'm sure, but they are good batteries.

The removable caps are very handy for maintaining fluid levels and to test with a specific gravity tester/hydrometer to verify charge level.

Trojan recommends 14.8v for solar use and that's what I use on Walmart batteries. 14.4 volts would be best if your charge wasn't limited by hours of sunshine.

Thank you for all the replies..

I have charged all batteries to 100% including my Starter battery

At the moment I am installing the batteries in the compartment..

so, Can a connect everything now.. and then when I get the solar panel disconnect the batteries, connect the solar panel then reconnect the batteries???

I am wondering if this will be ok for the charger controller?

it is a victron smart controller 110/30

""and then when I get the solar panel disconnect the batteries, connect the solar panel then reconnect the batteries???""

NO................Just leave the Battery bank connected to the Solar Controller......THEN connect the Solar Panels

abnorm said:
""and then when I get the solar panel disconnect the batteries, connect the solar panel then reconnect the batteries???""

NO................Just leave the Battery bank connected to the Solar Controller......THEN connect the Solar Panels
Yeah that's what I would do. 

HOWEVER. If you're going to be charging them with a regular battery charger until the panels come in I might disconnect the solar charge controller, or rather leave it not connected just yet.

Who knows? Stranger things have happened than a regular battery charger not liking the solar charge controller that's plugged in taking readings and self consuming current without panels connected. 

But once you do get the panels as mentioned ad nauseam because it IS that important connect the batteries to the controller and THEN the panels.

Glad to see your dream is taking shape brother. I'm 2 weeks off grid myself now. Well as of tomorrow.

Thanks xertyx, yeah aside from being rear ended.. things are actually pretty decent. 

Having a hard to finding a solar panel that I can get I'll n less than a week.. probably not going to happen. Unless I travel to a supplier