Concerns about coming 5G network

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems to me that a study was published some time ago that indicated ham radio operators had a higher incidence of leukemia than the general population.  Perhaps other hams here on the forum can correct me if my memory is faulty on that.  

It also seems to me that the resonant frequency of the average human skull is around the frequencies used for 3G or so.  

Right or wrong, good, bad, or indifferent and despite my love of radio as a ham operator, I don't use cell phones (by placing them up to my ear) as much as many do and I probably do more to try to limit my exposures to Wi-fi signals than most. 

Having said that, I'll freely acknowledge that my brother, also a ham operator, doesn't approach it as I do.  

Peterson

am i worried? sure, but no more worried than i am about all the other EMF pollution i am bombarded with every second of the day. nor any more than the worry i have about all the other forms of pollution i am subject to, chemicals in the water, acid rain, and on and on...

since i cant just wave a wand and make it go away i dont let it get me depressed and dominate/ruin my life. i do what i can to stay away from the "hot spots" and focus on enjoying my life as best i can.

now if someone wants to share some simple practical things i can do to limit my exposure rather than just complain about the sky falling, well that would be grand...

I think that it's possible to create a fariday (?) cage out of our vehicles.
I know that the radio comm box that I live in is "shielded". If it weren't for having windows now I'd get no reception once I closed the door.

www.instagram.com/DirtTrackTravelers

I understand the concern, they are using such a high frequency that in order to actually cover a vast area effectively they will have to increase the amount of towers and strength of the waves exponentially compared to what already exists. IMHO however, 5g will never really come to be in the real world. I think LEO satellite internet will be in full force well before they manage to successfully deploy enough 5g towers to obtain even a usable fraction of the current LTE coverage. I've been scratching my head at this one for a while, but I think they are rushing into this to try and stay relevant and be able to advertise faster speeds than the new LEO services will provide. I think the writing is on the wall for the big telco's however, as they will ultimately fail to the space startups and their LEO satellite internet. (spacelink, blue origin, virgin, etc) This half assed 5g roll out is looking like a hail mary of sorts.

Fivealive said:
 IMHO however, 5g will never really come to be in the real world.  I think LEO satellite internet will be in full force well before they manage to successfully deploy enough 5g towers to obtain even a usable fraction of the current LTE coverage. 
It all depends on the cost and speed of the LEO system.

please define LEO as y'all are using. as far as I know LEO stands for "Law Enforcement Officer".

please everybody define your abbreviations.

highdesertranger

Sorry for the confusion, LEO stands for Low Earth Orbit in this case and I am using it so I don't confuse the new LEO tech with older existing satellite internet tech (IE Hughsnet).

I don't know much about the subject of 5G and Satellites. But I am good at distilling critical information out of technical articles.

So here is one key factor for why 5G will be sticking around despite more LEO capacity. Land based has a lot less latency than satellites. So the current scheme is to marry the two together to reduce the time it takes the satellite to get the signal transferred.

Part of this need for speed and the marriage of the two technologies comes down to satellite being too slow to use for things such as a self driving car which do not do well on satellite alone due to the latency. So don't expect 5G development to go away any time soon.

Disturbing video!

Minority Report, Wall-E, 1984, Fahrenheit 451.

We were warned and we let it happen...

And the saddest thing is most people are in denial.

A telephone repairman for ATT told me 5g will provide stronger signals but will take a long time to get it everywhere. He explained that basically it will be a series of smaller towers that talk to each other and these little towers will be placed like on electric/telephone poles.
So cities will obviously have it first. Country folks like myself... I don’t think it would be worth it for them. Too little houses, too far apart therefore not enough customers. Same reason I still get cable or internet service. Can’t even get DSL through a landline. Thankfully, Im lucky enough to get ok cell signal... unless it’s a clear day without clouds signal doesn’t bounce as well from the far away cell towers.

But I think it will be the same as when 3g and the 4gLTE came out. Phones revert to what’s available in the area. Sometimes my phone goes from LTE to 1x here. I wouldn’t worry to much.

Edit*** above should read
“ I still CANT get cable...”

C-Cat said:
Tin foil hats may also work and are cheap! ;)
That explains why ppl in China all wear those face masks.  I thought it was due to poor air quality, who knew it was to defeat facial recognition software of the 5G network.   ~crofter

Yes but now they are using the way you walk as well which is probably why they are outlawing those electric scooters!

Yup, once we all have our data integrated on the 5G network even without a phone, we have this to look forward to!

badmotorscooter said:
Yup, once we all have our data integrated on the 5G network even without a phone, we have this to look forward to!

Your tax dollars at work. "Don't get within 10 feet of the robot" can't fit one into vanlife.   ~crofter

Latest posts