Comfort vs. freedom.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John61CT said:
Harold and Maude is one of my favorite films, have watched it every year with all three of my crops of spawn from a very young age.

One of my two all-time favorite movies. The other is The King of Hearts (Le Roi des Cours).

The Dire Wolfess

I would prefer to die in the arms of a beautiful 19 year old.

Alas, not much chance of that though.

:angel:

Oh, I don't know about that.  The zombie apocalypse is inevitable.  I'm sure a beautiful 19 year old would be as willing to eat your brain as anyone else.

Deb_A. said:
I could never live like some do, always out in the boonies, far away from civilization, but I don't want to be stuck in cities all the time either. The best thing about the life is having choices.

That's pretty much how I see my life. A home "base" (as in an area of town close to my jobs) where I have a few places I feel comfortable parking/sleeping and the ability to go out into nature as I feel like for a few days when I feel like it . And my car is where I sleep and where my few things I hold onto live, I don't tend to hang out in it all day. If there's really bad weather, I have a couple of options. But it's honestly a rare situation in Northern California that I can't be outside all day if I want. 

A friend if mine asked if I worry about my worldly possessions sitting parked while I am at work or away from the vehicle. Yes and no is my answer. I'd hate to have to replace them, but most of my expensive items (a laptop and ipad for example ) travel in a bookbag with me. Like at the gym (on shower days) they go inside to a locker. Depending on my job for the day, they might go inside a building with me. But overall, I am enjoying my disconnect from an attachment to possessions. I really own very little that it would hurt my soul deep down to lose. It would suck, but I can get a new camping stove or cooler or warm blanket if I need to. I'd hate for my "solar generator" to be stolen  (I don't have solar, but I badically use the "generator" as a portable rechargeable battery via 12 volt power or a wall charge at work), but if it did get stolen, I'll be upset, but not be hurt. The things that travel with me are highly simplistic "comfort" items. And There's no reason to sit huddled around them in my car all day worried who might steal them.

^^I agree. The only things I have worth stealing are my laptop and my camera, and those are always with me in backpack. Most times I don't even lock my van--there's nothing in there worth stealing. If they really really want my sleeping bag, they can have it. It wouldn't take ten minutes to get another one.

I'm not a Vandweller yet; just a wannabe. I've been reading the forum and watching the Utube videos for about a year. I have a 3' thick three-ring binder on tips, information, and ideas for creating the nomad life. First of all, comfort vs freedom doesn't have to be that black and white. If you love the nomad life and know it's for you, you'll be comfortable no matter what equipment and accessories you have, in my opinion. Depends on how badly you want it and your attitude. I've done some pricing estimates and have come to the conclusion my monthly expenses at first would be close to being the same as I am paying for sticks and bricks right now, because of the items I would have to buy in the first few months, ie bed, solar, refrigerator, internet access, privacy items, etc. That's assuming as soon as I can get a vehicle I'll be living in it before accumulating all the things I think I want. The difference would be the freedom to go where I want, when I want, with whom I want. Seeing all the wild and beautiful places I yearn to visit, meeting other nomads and feeling part of that community, feeling independent and free would be the rewards. To me, that's the big question your friend and I need to ask ourselves: "What is it you want from a nomad life?"

I'm stubborn and find it hard to get rid of my stuff, but I'm slowly wrapping my mind around it and have given up, given away, and thrown out a bunch of stuff already. But some of it, I've put into storage, some in a family member's attic, some in a friend's cellar. I still have a long way to go in that regard. Heck, I'm a lifelong bulk-buyer, and even just getting through my backlog of canned goods is taking months.