come a long way??? pics

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rastaman

Reaction score
After two good days of work this is where I am at....I painted the roof with Liquid Rubber (not koolseal stuff, this cost&nbsp; $98 a gallon), goes on with some effort as it is pretty thick but sure looks like it will be water tight..then got the ceiling and walls in place. now some final trim work, and this phase of the rebuild will be complete, then it will be on to getting all the systems, elec/plumb in order and the final will be the exterior paint. I have been reading about John deer rattle can paint, may try that.<br><br>here are some before and after shots<br><br>

Whoa... Nicely done!<BR><BR>I love the dark wood ceiling.

<P><EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">Looking good there rastaman, feels good when your one step closer to freedom.</SPAN></STRONG></EM><BR><EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">Geoff</SPAN></STRONG></EM></P>

Way to go rastaman. Is this a box truck? <br>-Bruce

This project is coming along nicely.<br>Good Job!<br>gus

I am looking into getting an old truck camper like this one.&nbsp; I know I will need to work on it.

Well if I had to do it again....I would. If you have a place to work on it,(mine was outside and covered with&nbsp; tarp) and you are halfway handy with tools I would say go for it. Unless you have mega bucks to spend an a fairly new unit, find the cheapest one you can find, like I did (as a few members here suggested). They all seem to leak and have damage, some more than others, the scary thing is by the time you see the damage its too late. I knew mine had leaks and damage, it was obvious on the ceiling. But the more I took apart the worse it got,,,the front one entire side and 3/4 of the ceiling.<br><br>With the help from members here, I tore into it and for very little $$$$ I now know its solid and leak free,<br>The most expensive stuff was the "Liquid Roof" coating at $99 a gallon, and the Eternabond Tape at $60.<br><br>I still have some stuff to do to it,like wire in a house battery and some solar, and get 'tie downs' for the truck. Those Tie downs arent cheap so if anyone here has "Tie Downs" for a 2005 Dodge Ram....they want to sell please let me know.

nice job ratsman can't help with the tie downs, &nbsp;I just sold a set last year on craigs list.&nbsp; highdesertranger

What a great job.&nbsp; I even went back and looked at the "before" picture again...I couldn't believe the transformation.&nbsp; Yes, it has come a long way!!!

Really, really nice job. And I concur, the dark ceiling is magnificent. Mind if I attempt to copy some of that craftsmanship when I become a vandweller next month?

Mathe., not at all...cant take credit for any of it being my original....I really need to post some more pics. It is all finished now with the exception of the curtains, which I have the material for, now I just have to figure out how to sew :)<br><br>

You're pretty brave taking on a project like that. &nbsp;I am nearly finished my house reno and I'll never do it again. &nbsp;As you say, you don't know what you're in for until you open the walls.<br><br>Good job!

Kayaker, Pretty brave?...thanks. There was a point in the process where I thought I was pretty stupid for attempting it. But now that it is done, I feel a sense of accomplishment and a certain kind of attachment to the camper.....I actually went to look at a similar unit which was newer and looked a lot nicer that I could probably bought for close to what I could sell mine for, and I just couldnt do it, I felt like I was betraying and abandoning my camper,which I havent used yet.

Latest posts