Colorado gtg July?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry if I missed it, but have we settled on a date yet?  

If it's this weekend, I need to haul booty and change focus of efforts. 

But I'd love to see some of you folks again, and meet new ones. 

Pat

Hey Pat, I'll be there in a day or two. Look forward to seeing your cargo trailer. Dean

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Who you calling gramps, gramps? Max misses his grampa. lol

We are leaving for Colorado early on the 5th. I did not think about it being the holiday week. I hope we can get a decent spot.

pnolans said:
I think one or more of the creators of South Park were from there.

Trey Parker was born in Conifer, part way between Denver and South Park. Matt Stone is from Texas.

jimindenver said:
Who you calling gramps, gramps? Max misses his grampa. lol

We are leaving for Colorado early on the 5th. I did not think about it being the holiday week. I hope we can get a decent spot.

The gentlemen's name is "Grandpa Pete"... thus Gramps.  I'm jealous.  My sister is a GREAT grandma, and I don't even have grandkids.  

As far as spots, I found a spot yesterday in the San Isabel Natl Forest that had *5* campers.  Anyway, the 5th will probably be ok.  There will be people making a week out of the hoiiday, but no biggy.  *I don't think it will be an issue*   But, Jim, you know how that goes! 

See you there. 

Pat

BTW, Grandpa Pete, I meant no disrespect by calling you Gramps.  Just joshin around.   Apology if I offended.

I arrived here on Tuesday, July 4th.  There are plenty of sites, but Verizon cell service is spotty at most locations.  i did find a spot where I can get 4 bars of Verizon 4G service when using my WeBoost in the morning.  It slows down after 7:30am due to over-saturation of the tower in the area.

My GPS coordinates are 39.3171118N,-105.7225353W.  I am in the silver cargo trailer about one mile in after the cattle grate on the left.

See you here!

Dean

Never share your Co stories with a OK police officer. They suspect you use they have laws on the books and you test positive for any level thc they can deem you unable to drive. That would force you to find a person that gets your ride out of impound and drive it out the state? A huge money racket. I have not heard of this happening my guess is people don't share with the state police any information other than they are driving for the fun of it.

I am at the same location as Dean. The GPS coordinates in post 25 took us to different locations and the GPS Dean posted took me to a different location than him, so I wouldn't rely too much on GPS. The GPS coordinates did at least take us both past the cattle grate. As Dean mentioned we are about 1 mile in past the cattle grate on the left off the main road. I am in a white cargo van. Lots of room here for others with trees for shade and nice mountain views.

hey everyone. I'm excited to attend this gathering and meet some others in the community. however, I'm having some problems with the mapping.

I'm plugging both of these GPS coordinates into google maps and coming out with drastically different areas.

39°17'59.66"N 105°43'27.04"W
Google maps put this one on Taryall Rd near Observatory Rock up in the mountains

39.3171118N, -105.7225353W
I noticed a negative sign in this GPS before the 105. is it a possible typo? This one puts me way out on Hwy 105 south of Sedalia

from what I'm seeing in google, the two coordinates are not anywhere near each other.

I'm planning on coming past once or twice during the dates posted, but at most I think I'd only be ok for a day or so out there due to lack of facilities in my step van

anyway, can someone clarify about the coordinates? or maybe include a JPG map of the area to make things easier?

I'm so dang close I can smell the aroma and the....oh...wait...

I can SEE the aroma!

This used to be a Toyota Dealership...but now....

DSCF1819 - Edited.jpg

It's a dispensary!

DSCF1821 - Edited.jpg

Some mountains near Walsenburg..

DSCF1843 - Edited.jpg

Sure is purdy up here!

DSCF1853 - Edited.jpg

Climbing thru LaVeta pass:

DSCF1847 - Edited.jpg

Ya'll have fun...I might be able to make it next week, when I'm in something a little shorter than 75 feet long....

Attachments

• DSCF1821 - Edited.jpg
    DSCF1821 - Edited.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF1843 - Edited.jpg
    DSCF1843 - Edited.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF1853 - Edited.jpg
    DSCF1853 - Edited.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF1847 - Edited.jpg
    DSCF1847 - Edited.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF1819 - Edited.jpg
    DSCF1819 - Edited.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 5
Crave said:
Wondering if anyone would be interested in a hygiene in Colorado around July

Zizzer_Zazzer_Zuz said:
That is just about the best typo/auto correct I've seen in a long time

I cannot for the life of me figure out what it was supposed to be!

7wanders there are no negative numbers with coordinates. ar you sure you have the right format. you have two different formats in your post on Google earth you must set the format so that it is the same as what you are entering. it's fairly easy to convert between the formats but first go on google earth and figure out what format you have it set at. a note this is the same for all GPS devices as far as I know, unless the newer ones automatically recognize the format. highdesertranger

jimindenver said:
What direction are you coming from? From Denver it is come down 285 to Jefferson, hang a left on 77 (Tarryall rd) go 8 miles to 39 and hang another left. The National forest starts 2 miles in at the cattle gate. Coming up 285 from the south you will turn right in Jefferson. You will know the turn as there is a small RV park, gas station/ convenience store/ fudge shop.

Coming from Colorado Springs you take 24 to 77 and hang a right to 39 where you will turn right again.

Did you folks take a look at this?  Having been in Lost Creek Wilderness (which is where this is) a number of times, this seems right to me.  I haven't been there yet.   
On Google maps, here's where Co Rd 39 goes East off of RT 77.  

UPDATE: SORRY, DID NOT NOTICE THAT POST HAD BEEN MENTIONED.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2971506,-105.7390173,13.96z

That DOES have a negative , but I think HDR is right about negatives.  Not sure why that is there.  Oh well.   I think I have driven BY that spot a million times.  I seem to remember you make a sharp turn to the left about 2 miles in, and in front of you is a big spot for many campers.  
On the other hand, I've been told "I AIN'T RIGHT"... so take this with a grain of salt.

pnolans said:
Did you folks take a look at this?  Having been in Lost Creek Wilderness (which is where this is) a number of times, this seems right to me.  I haven't been there yet.   
On Google maps, here's where Co Rd 39 goes East off of RT 77.  

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2971506,-105.7390173,13.96z

That DOES have a negative , but I think HDR is right about negatives.  Not sure why that is there.  Oh well.   I think I have driven BY that spot a million times.  I seem to remember you make a sharp turn to the left about 2 miles in, and in front of you is a big spot for many campers.  
On the other hand, I've been told "I AIN'T RIGHT"... so take this with a grain of salt.

As I remember, if you come out 24, West out of Co Springs, you turn right about a mile past the town of Lake George.  77 north from there to Tarryall Reservoir is paved , but REALLY bumpy.  Also, drive the speed limit, as there are cows on the road. 

I would be coming from the south, so I might even drive through Fairply and turn right at Jefferson, as Jim says.    Just to avoid that road.

tx2sturgis said:
I'm so dang close I can smell the aroma and the....oh...wait...

I can SEE the aroma!

Brian, 

I've lived here in CO for 21 years, even had an MMJ card for 2 years, and I STILL sometimes think that I just ran over a skunk!  

:D

The closest town is Jefferson, Colorado off Interstate 285. After you get into town take Taryall Road/County Road 77 (road only goes one direction) 8.1 miles to the Southeast and then turn left at Rock Creek Hill Road. After passing the cattle grate go 1 mile and then turn left down a little road that leads to a big area that we are camped at. There are three of us here so far. Crave - I hope you don't mind us picking a camp area.

The spot near observation rock is correct or near. I am not there yet though.