Colorado gtg July?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like we have a plan for a GTG in July. 

I can't promise that I would be much help in Van building but might be able to offer a few suggestions, and am always interested in other people's innovations.

masterplumber said:
I'm super busy with work and travel this summer, but if you have it I'll probably show up for a couple days of fun anyhow. Would love to meet up with some of you. And 7 Wanders, I'm only 45 minute or so south of Denver if you need a hand or advice with anything on your build.

I'd love to attend the colorado gathering. the difficulty I have is that I'm not setup for off grid camping yet having no real way to sustain myself outside of an urban environment (no bathroom, bed, kitchen, electric power, etc etc)

thx for the offer of help. I have an absolutely HUGE MASSIVE list of things to do that it would simply overwhelm anyone making such a blanket offer. LOL

that said, I'm working on the following this month:
  • floor install
  • ceiling & wall insulation
  • install two maxxair fans
  • mounting two solar panels on roff and run wires inside
  • build bed area in back of step van
and, it gets really overwhelming with the mechanical stuff:
  • simple oil change
  • locate and isolate mechanical vibration 51-59 mph
  • take apart the entire front of the engine for a "killer dowel pin" repair
  • fix heater blower unit

anyway, as I said, my list is overwhelming and so large I hesitate to get anyone involved making a blank check offer to help. if you have an area of expertise, or would like to help with one or two items, that would be wonderful and greatly appreciated

I'm also willing to help in areas where I have strengths should you need it for any projects you have. most of my skills are computer, marketing or graphics related.

ps. might be easiest to send a personal message to me if you are interested in any of the items on the list

Count me in! I'm currently in central North Carolina but have been looking for an excuse to get out to Colorado. I'll keep checking back for more info.

7wanders, we see you on the road and I would still be interested in seeing some of your innovations. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Cory350, will be looking forward to meeting you.

So all information is in one place...

Date: July 8th to 22

Currently in Arizona but may be moving north by then so hope to make it.

Planning on being at that location July 8th. I'm currently in Knoxville TN so I'm going to take my time between now and then so I can see everything I can along the way. Looks like its about 20 hours of driving form my current location and I'd like to keep the time behind the wheel to under 3 hours a day. Look forward to meeting everyone as well as exploring Colorado!

Ok, The only gps that I have is the map app on my phone. Any "normal" directions? Like road numbers? Or two miles past the old fallen tree?

What direction are you coming from? From Denver it is come down 285 to Jefferson, hang a left on 77 (Tarryall rd) go 8 miles to 39 and hang another left. The National forest starts 2 miles in at the cattle gate. Coming up 285 from the south you will turn right in Jefferson. You will know the turn as there is a small RV park, gas station/ convenience store/ fudge shop.

Coming from Colorado Springs you take 24 to 77 and hang a right to 39 where you will turn right again.

Today I was admitted into a Denver area hospital for a second degree burn depending on what the doctors say I may not be able to make it. I will keep my prognosis updated and will try to make it.

Ouch, hope you heal up quick, Crave!

Crave, I hope you feel better soon. Hosting a Colorado GTG is dangerous for your health it seems, I tried to last year and my legs went numb.

Not too familiar with Colorado, but we do have family in Greeley...
We are trying to make our way out there for the end of June.
IF all the projects we still have yet to do are not MAJOR showstoppers for us...
Will have to make a two day layover in Memphis, and a few in Wichita, then westward bound.
Should be in Greeley for a few days, not sure how long...

We plan like we drive. Go... get there... Timetable? Aw Heck no!!!

Other than all of that, I have no firm plans, LOL!
I'm suggesting that if the stars all line up, we might be able to make it.
Don't know when we will get there or how long we could stay...

Is it all boon-docking there, no water or power? How about cost per day, etc? Can we bring our little fur face?
Any other details for us?

This is pure boondocking on NFS land with no services. The closest town does not even offer water outside of maybe bottled. There is a small overpriced grocery and gas station plus a few other places. It has been a while since I was there. There are towns either way on 285 that offer better shopping.

Fur faces are fine but off leash is a decision of your own. The area is below the Lost creek wildlife area and I have seen all kinds of critters that would love to snack. Coyotes run in packs, I have seen bears and also some very large kitty prints near our camp. I would have thought it was a bobcat but there are mountain lions in the area. The bears are after trash, the rest.....

Crave said:
Today I was admitted into a Denver area hospital for a second degree burn depending on what the doctors say I may not be able to make it. I will keep my prognosis updated and will try to make it.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you heal up quickly.

I'm already in Colorado, not too far from that area, but also working. I'll keep my eye on this thread in case I can make it for a few days. Sounds like it might be fun.

Tom

Had surgery today, to debris the wound. The doctors seem confident that I could be out of here in a week plus a few days after the skin graph. So, it does sound like a good possibly that I can still attend. :)

Crave hope it all goes good and you get out of there soon.

isn't this like the third year in a row that the person trying to put together a Colorado GTG had health issues? highdesertranger

Hopefully I will be able to help out this year. I am walking a lot better now than even how I was at the RTR. I think people thought I had Jose with me all the time instead of just one camp fire. ;)

Latest posts