Boondocking in the Cortez, Colorado Area

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Van on 66

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. Does anyone know where there is a good place to boondock in the Cortez, Colorado area?

When we visited Mesa Verde we camped 20 minutes East near Mancos.....North on 184.....Right turn on 42 .....Maybe 20 minute drive.........Turn North at a large horse corral and road..........NFS land before it reaches the State Park......NO TREES.....Bugs/Fire?...........on the cleared side of the mountain for a week stay........HUGE Scat

If ya reach the Park you've gone too far..........Turn around............. (just like us !).............Good Luck

Last edited:
A little further west and you will hit lots of BLM lands most of HWY 95 in Utah and 261 from the top of the Moki Dugway back to HWY 95 are open to boondockers. Hwy 24 north from Hanksville Utah has BLM land as well. I believe there was free camping across the highway from the entrance road turns off to Mesa Verde but it was a highly used area and may be closed now, but it should be listed on the free camping websites if it is still open to the public. I believe one of our members was in those areas of Colorado semi-permanently, maybe he will suggest some sites.

When we visited Mesa Verde we camped 20 minutes East near Mancos.....North on 184.....Right turn on 42 .....Maybe 20 minute drive.........Turn North at a large horse corral and road..........NFS land before it reaches the State Park......NO TREES.....Bugs/Fire?...........on the cleared side of the mountain for a week stay........HUGE Scat

If ya reach the Park you've gone too far..........Turn around............. (just like us !).............Good Luck
Thanks for the tip!

A little further west and you will hit lots of BLM lands most of HWY 95 in Utah and 261 from the top of the Moki Dugway back to HWY 95 are open to boondockers. Hwy 24 north from Hanksville Utah has BLM land as well. I believe there was free camping across the highway from the entrance road turns off to Mesa Verde but it was a highly used area and may be closed now, but it should be listed on the free camping websites if it is still open to the public. I believe one of our members was in those areas of Colorado semi-permanently, maybe he will suggest some sites.
Thanks for the tip. If you come up with any more info please let me know.

^^^DLTooly is who I was hoping would answer! Glad to see you are still around!

Latest posts