College?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Gallop Poll company has been doing a survey of worker satisfaction every yea since 2000. They have interviewed over 25 million Americans. Polls don't get better or more accurate than this one. They do it to sell to corporations to help them get more productivity out of employees. The results have always been nearly the same the whole time. This is it

p4xln1ugd06tmi30yyeteg.png

What that means is 

* 30% of Americans are engaged by their job and enjoy their job and like going to work. 
* 50% of Americans are NOT engaged, which means they tolerate going to work because they need the money and for no other reason. While there they do their jobs reasonably well.
* Nearly 20% are Actively Disengaged which means they HATE their jobs so much that they are actively doing things to hurt the company. The rude salesperson you run into may be a nice person he/she only wants to hurt the company she hates it so much.

Yes, a few do get jobs they like, they are a small majority and not at all typical of the American workforce. 

Half of all Americans are just like me, hated their jobs but did it as well as they could.

20% despise their jobs much more than I ever did.

Wolves who are forced to be ants are not happy. The only thing I don't understand is that small majority who actually like it. They are beyond my comprehension and I have spent a lot of time trying to figure them out. I can't!

Here is the poll:
http://www.gallup.com/poll/181289/majority-employees-not-engaged-despite-gains-2014.aspx

If you will take the time to actually research the happiness and emotional, physical and mental well-being of Americans, you will find the research is shocking. 
Bob

My heart goes out to people that feel stuck and hate their jobs. I know there are many of them out there. I guess those in the 30% who enjoy what they're doing are the fortunate few who found something that suits their personalities. The person that likes gardening who works as a landscaper. The person who likes taking something old and make it new again working as a re-upholsterer. The person who enjoys children working at a day care etc.

I'm going to say something that'll get me in a lot of trouble, but here it goes. In some of the countries I visited in the past, I've seen a lot of young people with absolutely no hope of finding work, good or bad. It is very sad to see. Many countries around the world have a 25% plus youth unemployment rate. Young educated men and women with no future. In Greece right now, there are entire families without income what so ever. Their government is broke and can't help them much. I'm sure that given a chance these poor hungry unemployed souls would jump at any jobs. What would they say to the 50% who hate their jobs? Maybe something like: Let me help you and take it off your hands.

As for the 20% who sabotage the company they agreed to do a certain job for at a given amount of $...all I have to say is: Shame on you! The company sticks to it's end of the bargain, you get your entire paycheck every week, why don't you stick to yours? I would be surprise if the company knocked on your door to offered you the job. Most likely you knock on theirs so once again " Shame on you. You're a weak little person".

I don't pretend to know what or if there is a solution to people unhappiness at this point in evolution. Would it work if everyone returned to nature? Would the planet be big enough for everyone of us to have a little farm and be self sufficient? Would everyone be happy having to provide for everyone of their needs? I assumed the industrial revolution happened for a reason. There are an awful lot of us on this little planet of ours now a days. I'm all for people doing only jobs they like doing but how would that work? What can be done to make sure that all citizens' of the world like what they're doing?

Sorry Elizabeth I highjacked your post. I sincerely hope you are in the 30% who find a way to support herself and be happy at the same time. I guess at this point you can tell that there is no easy answer to your original question.

All the best to you young lady.

Nicole

Elizabeth said:
I can assure you, none of you have scared me off :) I've just been trying to listen to what everyone is saying.  This has been an extremely hard decision to make for no other reason than my family wants me to happy and the only way they see that is if I go to college. They are the ones how would be paying for it, though I really have to say I hate that they'd be paying for it. It's my education (should I choose it to be) and I have no intention of letting them pay for it, which I'm aware may seem kinda silly but if i go to college, it will be something I did for me. Not something my family pays for while I question if its even worth it. 

Right now I am thinking I will classes I see some value to, like accounting and such. But I don't ever want school to be my focus, travel will always be the goal. 

Oh! And thanks for your input :) it's all been very helpful

My two cents is don't go to college unless it is what you want to do. I imagine your family will pay for it and expect you to do something with the degree. The obligation could follow past graduation.

When almost everyone goes to college and gets a degree, the value of having a four year degree declines. If everyone has a million dollars, a million dollars won't buy as much as it does now.

-Wayne

I've decided what I'm going to do, finally. Basically I'm going to work my ass off over the summer at college and then work doing the school year, and continue to do that as I fix up my bus, coming back each summer until I have my degree. Thank you all so much your input! Its brought me quite a bit peace to hear from others who are living this lifestyle

The college I went to had a winter session (Jam term) where the classes were short (6 weeks) but 4 hours a day.  You can usually make more money in the summer.  But being in an AC classroom dduring the hottest part of the year has its advantages.  :D

Whatever works for you.  Different occupations have different busy seasons, with the exception of the grocery store.  Everyone needs food  ;)

Good skills, and happy traveling.

Congratulations Elizabeth!

As a single working woman, I can attest that we need every advantage possible in this world. Despite all the legislation in place, women still earn substantially less than men at every turn. If a couple of short years spent now getting an education can help bridge that gap for you, then it can't possibly be a negative.

Good for you Elizabeth.

I wish I had your maturity at your age. I'm curious, what degree are you going for? Actually you don't have to tell if you don't want to.

Be Happy!

Nicole

ilovemyvan said:
Good for you Elizabeth.

I wish I had your maturity at your age. I'm curious, what degree are you going for? Actually you don't have to tell if you don't want to.

Be Happy!

Nicole

I'm working on an associates of applied science and an associates of arts, with the credits I already have from high school it just makes sense to do both, I think there are 1 or 2 classes that don't count towards both so I might as well!

Wow, the smart for science and the talent for art. That covers a whole bunch of possibilities. You'll do good out there.

Here I am, late, with my 2 cents. You are young and probably don't have much savings. College or van living is not an either/or decision. You can live in your rv locally, work and go to school (full or part time) for X months out of the year and travel for Y months. I bring up part time because it may help keep you out of debt. Debt is deadly to your plans.

Your vocational counselor could be of some help, but talking to temp agencies may really be more useful. What skills are in demand and can be placed quickly? Accounting or bookkeeping? Computer Nerdery? Nursing? Math tutors? You may love a particular subject, but it may not be marketable. You'll need something where you can start pulling in $$$ quickly when you need to do so.

GotSmart said:
That is because of society today does not allow the educators to push the students.  At least not as far as what they really need to get a real job.  If she needs more skills, tell her to go for her Masters.  She is in a field that is in great demand.  College used to focus on needed skills, now they just focus on getting student loan money.  :mad:  Reality is a bucket of cold water for bathing, and warm water for drinking.

Any job in the skilled trades.  Carpenters, electricians, AC repair, Truck Driving, mechanics,  Nursing, Administration (secretary and managers) salesmen,  teachers The top category that people are needed?  Chefs, bakers and butchers.  

We need trade schools back with a vengeance.  

These kids were exceptional, which is why we became friends.

Our youngest daughter has her Masters in Education and still couldn't find a job, so she and her husband have both gone back to school to obtain their doctorates, hoping to then teach at the university level.  (She lives in Colorado, by the way.)

As the mother of five and grandmother of five, the best advice I would give any kid at this juncture in history is stay out of debt!

Apprenticeship is a great idea!

FWIW.

Jesse.

Unless I am mistaken, the OP only intends to get her Associates degree. That's only two year, not 4. She mentioned a double major in liberal arts and applied science which may only mean an extra few classes. The applied science doesn't tell us much. My accounting degree is a bachelor of science. Terminology of nuts.

One big mistake people make is thinking that any sheepskin they work hard for has market value, that they can follow their passion and the business world will care. No one ever tells them to check the job market, first. Talk to emoyment agents and see what employers want. The whole idea behind a paycheck is that you might be doing something that you would not choose to do without it.

gcal said:
Unless I  am mistaken, the OP only intends to get her Associates degree. That's only two year, not 4. She mentioned a double major in liberal  arts and applied science which may only mean an extra few classes. The applied science doesn't  tell us much. My accounting degree is a bachelor  of science. Terminology of nuts.

One big mistake people make is thinking that any sheepskin they work hard for has market value, that they can follow their passion and the business world will care.  No one ever tells them to check the job market, first. Talk to emoyment agents and see what employers want. The whole idea behind a paycheck is that you might be doing something that you would not choose to do without it.

I've never heard of an Associates degree. If we have such an animal in Canada, I'm unaware of it.

I can't see spending years of my life doing something I hate, I'm just not a paycheck player. That said, before I was good enough (or well known enough) to support myself with music, writing, and photography, I worked at many things that weren't in keeping with my natural gifts. I chose to work as a permanent temporary (secretarial/computer) for a while from age 16 - 18, and I learned a great deal by working for so many diverse companies.

I earned my medical degrees over a fourteen-year period because, while I love medicine, and know it's a valuable skill to have, I was (and am) in love with music and writing, and I had a family to raise. So, we do what we must so we can later do what we want to, no?

I couldn't bear the thought of living my life tied to a job I hate. I know many who've done it and lived and died that way - unhappily. What's the point in that?

There's so much to do in this life, surely people can find something in harmony with their natural gifts - even if it isn't what they originally had in mind....

Shabbat Shalom,

Jesse.

Brian_and_Jesse said:
I've never heard of an Associates degree.  If we have such an animal in Canada, I'm unaware of it.

I can't see spending years of my life doing something I hate, I'm just not a paycheck player.  That said, before I was good enough (or well known enough) to support myself with music, writing, and photography, I worked at many things that weren't in keeping with my natural gifts.  I chose to work as a permanent temporary (secretarial/computer) for a while from age 16 - 18, and I learned a great deal by working for so many diverse companies.

I earned my medical degrees over a fourteen-year period because, while I love medicine, and know it's a valuable skill to have, I was (and am) in love with music and writing, and I had a family to raise.  So, we do what we must so we can later do what we want to, no?

I couldn't bear the thought of living my life tied to a job I hate.  I know many who've done it and lived and died that way - unhappily.  What's the point in that?

There's so much to do in this life, surely people can find something in harmony with their natural gifts - even if it isn't what they originally had in mind....

Shabbat Shalom,

Jesse.

Few of us have a special calling, Jesse, altho the popular myth is that we all do. Most of us just need a job and a paycheck.

gcal said:
Few of us have a special calling, Jesse, altho the popular myth is that we all do. Most of us just need a job and a paycheck.

I'm enjoying your posts, gcal, and especially your clarity of thought, but we may have to agree to disagree on this one.

I'm absolutely certain that every soul born has special gifts (or a calling, if you prefer that terminology). Some are simply terrific parents, friends, or enablers (in the good sense), but we each have a part in the play that's meant only for us. I've counselled people from all over the world for forty-plus years, and in all that time I've yet to meet a person without a purpose.

Why on earth do you think that's a myth?

Shalom,

Jesse.

Jesse, I think it is a myth because in nearly 70 years, I have seen no evidence that it is not. You are expanding the definition of beyond how one chooses - or drifts into - how one will make a living. Most of us are capable of doing many things competently, even excellently. I've met people who were called to physics and other sciences by a burning curiosity about the natural world. But I have never met anyone who felt a special calling for selling insurance or cleaning teeth or fixing plumbing. The jobs the vst majority of us do, we do for the paycheck. Some of us are more successful than others in our work, but that has to do with other realities in our circumstances.

Congratulations, Elizabeth, on arriving at a decision that works for you! You should easily be able to keep ahead of tuition costs without going into debt, as well as save money for the future. The best part about van/bus/rv-dwelling is that it can be done inexpensively, so you don't have to get stuck in the corporate drudgery of paycheck stalking. Clearly, money is required to survive, but you've got a good head on your shoulders, and I fully believe you will find a way to balance your interests with a sufficient income for your needs.

gcal said:
Jesse, I  think it is a myth because in nearly 70 years, I have seen no evidence that it is not. You are expanding the definition of beyond how one chooses - or drifts into - how one will make a living. Most of us are capable of doing many things competently, even excellently. I've met people who were called to physics and other sciences by a burning curiosity about the natural world. But I  have never met anyone who felt a special calling for selling insurance or cleaning teeth or fixing plumbing. The jobs the vst majority of us do, we do for the paycheck. Some of us are more successful than others in our work, but that has to do with other realities in our circumstances.

Okay, John, I agree that some may do 'it' purely for the paycheck, but most plumbers, doctors, and dentists etc. (add any job label here) do feel that they somehow serve.

I believe that it's human nature to *want* to serve, and that those of us who're not aberrant *need* to feel that what we do matters - that we're helping/contributing somehow.

Call it personal validation (I'm not sure what label to slap on the phenomenon), but somehow when what we do matters, it makes us feel as if *we* matter, and those of us who aren't sociopathic (without conscience) need that, I believe.

There isn't much a man won't do to put bread on the table to feed his family, but there we have the 'serv - ice' element again.

Bluntly put: we all need to feel that we matter, and what we do gives us that feeling.

I still believe that plumbers, dentists, doctors, and even insurance salesmen are born with God-given gifts to perform well in one or more areas, and that they are meant to derive satisfaction and 'delight' in the work of their hands.

I'm not sure of the expression of your faith, but even the Bible tells us that God wishes man to 'Work at the delight of his hands,' and that He Himself has given all men gifts to that end.  And men are always miserable when they do not follow the 'Voice within.'

Most members of this forum are listening to that 'Voice within,' and it's wonderful to see.

Shalom,

Jesse.

“Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”
― Gordon R. Dickson, Tactics of Mistake

Book learning will always be worth while.

GotSmart said:
“Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”
― Gordon R. Dickson, Tactics of Mistake

Book learning will always be worth while.

Amen!