College?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey! I realize it's been quite sometime since I was active on this site but some things have happened and I thought it may help someone else to hear what ended up happening with me. :) A few days ago I finished my associates (Major in accounting) and a few days after that I bought my van! It's a 1992 Ford Econoline, needs a bit of work (air conditioning, passenger window doesn't work) before I can start seriously making it livable but it feels so great to be well on my way to vandwelling! I am planning to attend NAU (national american university), an online school to obtain my bachelors. The college I went to employed me as a tutor and as I result I was able to become a certified tutor, I plan to use that to become an online and hopefully become a private tutor later in life. This summer I am applying to be an emergency substitute teacher which will prove me with the flexibility I need to fix up and live in my van. In the end, it was probably a good thing I went to college, as much as I hate to admit it. I am in a much better position now to make my life what I want it. I also wanted to thank everyone on here for their support and thoughts on the subject- it was really helpful to hear different thoughts on something that was troubling me so very much!

College or trade school, you need some sort of education to make a decent living in life.

If you have the aptitude and learn one or more trades, you can always find work. Trades like welding, HVAC, electrician, plumbing, carpentry, brickmason, concrete and truck driving just to name a few. Also consider healthcare jobs like nursing, x-ray tech, etc. These are jobs that are in great demand that just keeps growing because most young people today don't see "blue collar" work as paying well. Actually you can make good money in any of the trades, usually more than a college graduate earns. And trade skills give you the flexibility to move around and work different places.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Keep telling people that, and pretty soon, if they all listen to you, there will be no more doctors.  Or engineers.  Or lawyers.  OK, that last doesn't sound so bad.

Nowadays, I get the impression that kids go to college and STILL don't know what they want to do when they get out.

Regards
John

I would advice anyone to get into the medical field, never have to worry about work no matter what state your in or where you go Always job in those fields. All of us baby boomers need them.