Cold feet...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlreadyGone

Reaction score
Just wondering how ya'll deal with keeping your feets warm(er) during the colder times...? I learned years ago for myself, that if I let my feet get too cold for too long...I get sick. Apparently my immune system drops enough to make me more susceptible to viruses, etc. If I follow the simple rule of keeping my feet warm...I rarely get sick...so it's an important issue for me.

Any particular brands or types of socks that I should look into?

I think foot warmers would be way too expensive.

Thoughts? Insight?

Best way to keep feet warm is to keep them clean and dry (a theme with me). I wear wool when it's cold out and if I'm forced to wear shoes when it's warm out, I wear runners socks that wick sweat and feel as close to nothing as possible. Also staying active helps.

I wear Balega ankle socks 100% of the time. They only come off to shower.
With work boats I put on a thin pair of socks over them.
MY cold weather boats I put on thicker socks over them.

They are a bit on the pricey side, but I get about 10 pair of them every year for xmas. It's all I ask for.

At one point my answer would have been spider man and sticker, two cats I rescued as kittens, one liked my right foot, one liked the left, my feet were always warm :D

Sheep-skin/shearling slippers. Those things are awesome for keeping feet warm. I don't get sick if my feet get cold, but if my feet are cold then so is the rest of me.

Exercise, up your heart rate, boost your circulation.

Plus thin silk socks inside, then thick wool, Gortex outside if harsh weather, sheepskin or thick felt-lined footwear walking around.

Merino onesies are the bomb for next to the rest of your skin. Pricey but great investment.

+1 on rubber water-bottle when stationary.

If you're tied to a cold location because of work or other reasons, and you can't just go to someplace warmer, then maybe spend as much time as possible in heated buildings.

I got a few pairs of "world's softest socks" from a vendor in Quartzsite this season. They are also "the world's ugliest socks" but my feets don't have eyes and are nice and warm so who cares. These are slight irregulars so way below retail -- 3 pairs for $10 I think.

The problem with Gortex is that if your feet get too warm and start to sweat there is no where for the moisture to go. Gortex doesn't breathe nearly as well as they claim it does. Wool socks in my Gortex boots are always wet after a day at work, in the winter, while sitting in front of a computer, and wet feet get cold, even when wearing wool.

+1 on the hot water bottles.

The best I have found are the mylar bags inside those cardboard coffee containers that show up in offices. I have salvaged a dozen or so of them and they are great for holding hot water at the foot of the bed. THey hold up to 1.75 gallons as I recall but I usually put in about one gallon. I generally don't put my feet directly on them but just having them nearby raises the temperature of the bed.

Dry is key. Dampness, especially after being out and sweating or after a washin'.... quickly turns cold.

I don't particularly like shoes (though my PT says I must wear them) I used to wear the socks with the grips on the bottom... in the house and then van...

Make sure you wear clean dry socks to bed...

IDK but a pair of thermal socks is worth the money imo....

Thanks everybody. A lot of good input here. I should be able to get it sorted out now. I'm just not all that familiar with cold weather gear, and the cold feet thing is an issue for me!

ArtW said:
At one point my answer would have been spider man and sticker, two cats I rescued as kittens, one liked my right foot, one liked the left, my feet were always warm :D

Lol been looking for reasons to get a cat other than I just want one.

haven't tried this myself yet. I heard that putting reflectix in the sole of your shoes helps keep your feet warm. Just cut them to the shape of the inside of shoe and drop it in. Seems worth a try as I have a number of odd sized scraps of reflectix.

dextours said:
haven't tried this myself yet. I heard that putting reflectix in the sole of your shoes helps keep your feet warm. Just cut them to the shape of the inside of shoe and drop it in. Seems worth a try as I have a number of odd sized scraps of reflectix.
We will expect a full report in the morning. :)

DuneElliot said:
The problem with Gortex is that if your feet get too warm and start to sweat there is no where for the moisture to go. Gortex doesn't breathe nearly as well as they claim it does. Wool socks in my Gortex boots are always wet after a day at work, in the winter, while sitting in front of a computer, and wet feet get cold, even when wearing wool.

I've found it varies a lot depending on the type or brand of footwear using the Goretex.  I don't know what some do better than others but,  I used to have a pair of Cabela's hunting boots that used goretex and my feet were bone dry no matter how long I wore them or in what conditions.  I've had others that were mediocre and others where I don't think my foot could breath at all and I'd end the day with soaking wet feet.  

I'm so bummed they no longer make that hunting boot, i've tried other Cabela's brands ones that were good but not perfect like my old pair was.  I wish you could test footwear for a month before buying it.

I second what others are saying about making sure your feet are dry. Changing your socks a few times a day can help a lot. Just a tiny bit of moisture on your feet can make them much colder. I used to change my socks twice every day when I was framing houses in winter.

AlreadyGone said:
Just wondering how ya'll deal with keeping your feets warm(er) during the colder times...? 
 . . .
Any particular brands or types of socks that I should look into?
 . . .
Thoughts? Insight?

I have been a mountaineer and skier most of my adult life.  Here is what works for me:

Below 0º - Overboots, insulated boots, wool socks, vapor barrier socks, thin wool inner socks.  End of day I wash my feet, dry, rub with alcohol, and wear wool socks inside down booties (even to bed if I am sleeping in the cold).
Below 35ºF - Mickey Mouse boots with thick wool socks when outside, down booties with/without socks inside.  Same foot care.
Below 55ºF - Hiking boots + wool socks when outside, down booties or wool socks when inside and put overboots on if I just have to run outside.
Above 55º cold feet is not a problem for me (even having frozen my feet a number of times).

I also use anti-perspirant on my feet when I can't let my feet to sweat and sometimes vapor barrier socks (usually when it is cold and difficult or impossible to change socks during the day).  I get the cream anti-perspirant in a jar but the roll-on works too.  Spray anti-perspirant is just too cold to put on.

Exercise helps a lot.

-- Spiff