Coffee making gadgets

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where~the~wind~blows

Reaction score
I have to admit I have a few ways of making coffee, and it's hard to limit myself to just one way.... sometimes making a whole pot of coffee isn't practical so I opt for a single serving size. I have a few gadgets for making a single cup of coffee, but while bored and surfing I came across this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051HEFAS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

then notice a few companies make similar products, currently I have this:

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Filte...660003&sr=1-4&keywords=single+cup+drip+filter

but it take up a lot of valuable real estate in my limited cooking "space"....

has anybody tried this?

Never used the cone. I use a small 'French Press' that makes two cups of coffee or a 'Espresso Maker' `for stove top that makes a cup. Both came from Amazon. I like really good coffee. I think the cone would be good because clean up would be just throwing away the paper filter and a rinse.

I've used the cone. I prefer drip coffee, and when we're car camping I use it. Works okay - but I still prefer drip coffee. I think they're better than a French Press (last time I used a French Press it left grounds in my cup - I don't like grounds in the cup and the cone doesn't let them through).

it's funny because I buy gadgets like this but I usually put a scoop of coffee in the paper filter, gather it up and I have a clothes pin I use to hold the filter closed and use it like a tea bag!... I have a small travel french press but I hate clean up, if it can be avoided. that's why I like things that use filters.... I'm hopeless!

You are right about the 'French Press' and sediment. Also it takes a lot of water to clean. I don't mind the sediment since I grew up on coffee made in a cevze. The stove top espresso maker is easy to clean. Just a rinse and a wipe. I like the idea of a travel mug coffee press because I can get a strong cup of coffee and not 'American Tea'. Haha! I like the ease of a cone but the coffee is not strong enough. I think the travel mug coffee press would be perfect for a decent cup of coffee and will get one.

We love our cone filter and it seems to make coffee as good as a drip machine since its basically the same thing without the machine and need for electric. We have a Mr. Coffee that's a little smaller than the regular ones with a stainless steel pot that we haven't used since we got the cone, even when on electric hook-up.
We use regular filters (cheaper) and fold them to fit.
Not impressed with the silicone collapsible kind, as I have some collapsible measuring cups and they develop holes in the folds after a while. It would be a drag to watch coffee piss all over first thing in the morning :-/
Not impressed with a press either, so gonna stick with the simple, easy cone method.

BTW...we got our Melitta coffee cone at a kitchen gadget store for 3 bucks.

I have a cone coffee dripper on a small stand you just put a cup under it and poor boiling water in the cone, something like this.

1 cup maker

I used to take my Mr. coffee 4 cup maker and use it as a pour over rather than start the genny , had the insulated pot so it stayed hot for my morning 2 cup ritual....

then I got hooked again on perc coffee and picked up a small 6 cup stainless....

I've come to the conclusion tho , that I would brew it thru a paper towel if thats what it takes for morning coffee....or sprinkle grounds on my cornflakes..... :)

I make these little gadgets for single or for two cups, They consist of a section of clothes hanger preferably the white coated kind, bent in a circle a bit larger then the mouth of a cup, you can just use the cup as a template, add a small tail swiggle for a pinch handle for your thumb and pinky, it should look like a figure 8 with the handle side being about half the size and flattened out, a bit of cheese cloth, or panty hose, sewn in a small pouch 3/4 depth of a cup with a pocket sewn in the top to slip the coat hanger into. Place on top of your cup, a tea spoon or two of coffee or tea, pour water into it, let seep, then remove, When you lift it out it looks like a used condom. To clean turn it inside out and rinse or let it dry and shake out the remnants. No on going filter costs, takes up very little space, cost nothing to make, brews coffee as good as any drip or French press.
Ps you can use the toe of panty hose as a pouch with less sewing or for added flavour your granddads old sock:)

You can't make this stuff up!:)

flying kurbmaster2 said:
I make these little gadgets for single or for two cups, They consist of a section of clothes hanger preferably the white coated kind, bent in a circle a bit larger then the mouth of a cup, you can just use the cup as a template, add a small tail swiggle for a pinch handle for your thumb and pinky, it should look like a figure 8 with the handle side being about half the size and flattened out, a bit of cheese cloth, or panty hose, sewn in a small pouch 3/4 depth of a cup with a pocket sewn in the top to slip the coat hanger into. Place on top of your cup, a tea spoon or two of coffee or tea, pour water into it, let seep, then remove, When you lift it out it looks like a used condom. To clean turn it inside out and rinse or let it dry and shake out the remnants. No on going filter costs, takes up very little space, cost nothing to make, brews coffee as good as any drip or French press.
Ps you can use the toe of panty hose as a pouch with less sewing or for added flavour your granddads old sock:)

O.K. this will tone it down a bit:
I have a very expensive, bulky coffee machine, but who has time? You fill the machine with water.I don't drink coffee on a regular basis. Standing water= bacteria. When I go full time, I have my heart set on a minivan, so I won't have the space. Here is what I am currently doing in my part-time boondocking:
Recipe 1: Make a small pot, put it in the frig. for the week.
Recipe 2 Lazy woman's coffee: Put a single scoop in a mug of filtered water. Put into my 600 watt ( different post, Half Pint microwave). Turn on my EU2000 Honda Generator. Bring to very hot. Let the grounds settle to the bottom and cool. Pour coffee into another cup minus the grounds. Heat up. Enjoy.
My pup sleeps through the whole process. Does this mean this is not quality since her nose is so keen?