Coffee making gadgets

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a melitta drip style setup using a stainless steel bowl I picked up cheap. Drilled it out; re-use kebab sticks to keep the filter elevated above the holes. Will take regular round filters.

I've used an aero press -- excellent, easy to clean, but still not as simple as a melitta drip cone. Same thing with either a french press or espresso pot.

"Coffee" caffeinated beverage of last resort: Nescafe single serve instant. With a package of hot chocolate. Ghetto mocha...

Yesterday I made my first attempt at cold brewing- I believe I'm a convert- it's good, maybe even better than my usual Melitta made.
Thanks for the tip.

You guys are talking my language! I do a few different things based on how much sleep I got the night before. No sleep or wake up late: Starbucks Via. boil water and add coffee. Voila, instant human. Went to bed early and don't work the next day: Grind coffee beans with Porlex hand grinder either coarse for the French press if hubby is feeling up to having coffee with me or fine for my 2 shot Bialetti espresso maker. If it's hot out I'll make Via in my insulated Kleen Kanteen and it can stay cold for a few hours. I can't wait to try the cold press minimotos95 makes. I'll just have to wait for more snow. We are all cold and no snow here (of course).

Raygun, You don't need snow If you did I would be coffeeless as we haven't seen the white stuff in over a month. there just happened to be snow when I took the picture. I've only made it in the snow a couple times and the difference it makes is minimal/unnoticeable. Snow does provide better lighting for photos though.
Normally I will just use the coldest tap water and set it in a cool dark place and forget about it for a while, a few times I've left it out on the front bumper in the summer sun and it was only a little worse and still worlds better than what many coffee shops sell.

I'm thinking I'm going to switch to Flailer's method with the jar and external filtering as presses seem to let more and more silt pass as they get worn.

Thanks! I will be experimenting Saturday morning (muwahahaha!)

minimotos95 said:
Raygun, You don't need snow If you did I would be coffeeless as we haven't seen the white stuff in over a month. there just happened to be snow when I took the picture. I've only made it in the snow a couple times and the difference it makes is minimal/unnoticeable. Snow does provide better lighting for photos though.
Normally I will just use the coldest tap water and set it in a cool dark place and forget about it for a while, a few times I've left it out on the front bumper in the summer sun and it was only a little worse and still worlds better than what many coffee shops sell.

I'm thinking I'm going to switch to Flailer's method with the jar and external filtering as presses seem to let more and more silt pass as they get worn.

I switched to a mason jar after seeing how the "pros" at a downtown Portland java shop did their cold-brews.  

The clean up is much easier with a wide-mouth jar than a french press.  And the amount of water wasted rinsing is far-far less as there is no screen. 

Refrigeration temperatures are not required for cold brew.... but.... unless my imagination is getting the better of me.... which is not unheard of ..... Cold brew is slightly smoother, maybe I can even say it is sweeter, than "room-temperature" cold brewing.   (and no, i dont add sweetener to my java-juice)  

I always use a paper filter regardless of brew-method, as it tastes 'mo betta to me, and is smoother.   Guess I'll just hav'ta prove I'm a "real man" in some other way than drinking cowboy coffee.    :p  

cyndi said:
I've had an aero press for over a year. It makes great coffee, is easy to clean with or without water and takes up very little room, storage-wise. The filters are kind of pricey. But they sell a re-usable metal filter and its pretty easy to make your own.

Second the Aero Press:

http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

Makes great coffee. The filters are just a 2" paper lab filter. Cheep in bulk.

To those using the Aero Press: what temperature water are you using?

The Aero Press instructions says to use 175 degrees, which is 20 - 30 degrees short of every recommended temp i've seen including from the National Coffee Association (195-205). Personally I just do a slow 5 count after the boil before pouring.

I've got no clue what the temperature is, although I've wondered. Is the 175 degrees that aero press suggests for espresso? That is the use for which is was intended.

johnny b said:
To those using the Aero Press: what temperature water are you using?

The Aero Press instructions says to use 175 degrees, which is 20 - 30 degrees short of every recommended temp i've seen including from the National Coffee Association (195-205). Personally I just do a slow 5 count after the boil before pouring.

Johnny,

I use boiling water but typically am camped above 9,000 ft. Most likely around 195 +/- a couple of degrees. Even at home 7,000 ft. I still use boiling water and don't notice much difference. The one mistake I did make one time is set the in store coffee grinder to Ethiopian, and it plugged the filter. Espresso grind is perfect.